PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
So I went to the Doc yesterday for a checkup and my blood pressure was below normal at 118/76. When the nurse checked it she said, “Wow, you must have been really relaxed before coming in here.” With the smell of Latakia still in my beard, I just smiled.
About 5 years ago or so I began having high blood pressure, due to stress and some meds I was on — ranging around 150/100. At that time my doc put me on some BP meds; they helped some but I could never get down to normal.
Over a year ago I stopped taking the BP meds because I was so tired all the time. The doc said it was okay because he wanted to switch another med I was on, but we would need to monitor my BP and make sure it didn’t go up higher.
He then double the dose of a particular med I was taking over six months ago, explaining we would need to keep an eye on things because that particular med can increase blood pressure in some people. He had put my wife on it at one point and she had to come off because her BP got too high.
Coincidentally, I picked up the pipe again in early spring of this year, about the time he upped my dose. While my BP should have stayed the same, if not gone up, the doc’s records show it has been gradually decreasing, starting with the time I picked up my pipes.
I told him that I had picked up pipe smoking and that it coincided with my BP going down. He looked at the screen, then at me. While he said he would ultimately tell me to pick another vice, he also said just be careful and continue to enjoy my pipe if I liked. He said it goes with my beard anyways, and he really liked my beard.
:puffy:
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please use your Shift key in body text as well.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
Thanks!
- Kevin

--------------------------

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
well see, more proof that the pipe is good for relaxing, I am glad to hear that you are doing good
-------------------------

Please use this:

shift_key.jpg

- Kevin

-------------------------

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My guess would be that if you could achieve the same mental balance with a different hobby your BP would also fall. If you can only do so with the pipe, great. If you could do the same with, say reading or stamp collecting, so much the better. Don't discredit the pipe nor give too much credit to the pipe for the reduction.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the ritual and meditative aspect of pipe smoking may help BP. Probably nicotine not so much. So it's a balancing act, but it sounds like you have struck a good medium.

Aug 14, 2012
Please believe me, nicotine raises your blood pressure. You are kidding yourself if you think it lowers it. There is probably another reason for your pressure going down. Weight loss, a broken BP machine or something else.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Yes, like foggy said, I always read that smoking raises BP. However relaxing and meditating lowers it, so...
Id give more credence to the meds on this one. I'm no Dr. though. BP med lowers mine and seems something like Lexapro will reduce my heart rate.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Exercise also increases blood pressure when you do it, but then your resting pressure is lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.