PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Pipe smoking is like ice skating. When you are first starting out it looks a whole lot easier than it really is. After you have been doing it for a while it is as easy as it looks.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
What a strange comparison, while I agree to truly master the art of pipe smoking takes patience and practice I certainly would not say it’s like “ice skating!”

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
That is a rather unusual comparison, but a good one. The only difference is that smoking a pipe doesn't make my ankles sore, or, my head when I make a slight mistake.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
42e8967323cc4fdf4a3b2fbd3ff58013.jpg

Here's the full ad; too bad it's not a pipe tobacco ad. It's from an ebay listing, so I doubt the image will be around forever.

s-l1600.jpg

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
The only difference is that smoking a pipe doesn't make my ankles sore, or, my head when I make a slight mistake.
True, but you can get a nasty case of tongue bite from a pipe if smoked incorrectly. :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When a kid, I went to South Park in my town and laced on a nice pair of Christmas hockey skates. Pretty fun, but I was no talent. Never played hockey. Just lumbered around and avoided getting mowed down by the long-blade speed skaters. Since my dad was a pipe smoker, by the time I lit up, in my thirties, I had all the moves deeply ingrained, hardly had to learn at all.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Before masks and hockey was played out of doors, I often had a cigar butt in my mouth while I guarded the goal. Never tried it with a pipe though, no give in a pipe.
I admit we wore suspenders to hold up the socks but, I'd never refer to our uniforms as pretty.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I'd never refer to our uniforms as pretty.

Well stated. But I was talking about the recent olympic female skaters in the elaborate outfits. :D

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Ah ... figure skaters, the people who need teeth on the front of their skates to stop and often require a partner to keep them upright. I've never quite understand the attraction to that sport. No puck, sticks and the body contact is soooo gentle. And, yes, the pretty outfits which the ladies sometimes pop out of ... Oh, I do understand the attraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.