PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I was watching the old 40s film "The Wolfman" with my daughters (who got too scared to finish it!). I was pleasantly surprised to see several actors smoking pipes. The Ralph Bellamy character appeared to be smoking a Dunhill billiard. And in one scene he fills his pipe using the press and twirl method from the James Fox video (see bottom)
tumblr_lutr4eNhTj1qmemvwo1_500.jpg

1288-21511.gif

watch

shawn

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Interesting method. So much to learn in this hobbie.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I watched the movie last fall and noticed that. Very cool.
Poor young Larry though...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
OK, so I tried the pipe packing method in the video, and to my amazement it worked perfectly -- the first time.

I used Newminster #701 Straight Virginia, a soft ribbon cut, and it climbed from my palm into the bowl like magic!

I'm thinking that for any cut other than a ribbon this method is pointless because there would be no tangling to keep it together.

BTW, I thought the tobacco burned much faster than usual -- ¾ of a bowl lasted only ½ hour.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I will have to give that packing method a try! .... with my new pipe coming this week :)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Loved Ralph Bellamy and Don Ameche in "Trading Places."
Great movie. He gets around. I also just watched him in "Oh God" with John Denver and George Burns, playing the lawyer for Paul Sorvino's character.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
OK, so I tried the pipe packing method in the video, and to my amazement it worked perfectly -- the first time. I used Newminster #701 Straight Virginia, a soft ribbon cut, and it climbed from my palm into the bowl like magic! I'm thinking that for any cut other than a ribbon this method is pointless because there would be no tangling to keep it together. BTW, I thought the tobacco burned much faster than usual -- ¾ of a bowl lasted only ½ hour.
Yeah, I've found it only works with soft ribbon cuts as well. However, for those, it works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.