PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Hi guys,
I just got back from a great family 2 week vacation in the Philippines. Getting over the jetlag...is pretty tough.
Anyhow, here are some thoughts about smoking a pipe over there.
First off, didn't see a single other pipe smoker. Cigarettes are about 50 cents a pack, so although I did see pipe tobacco for sale, it is just too expensive compared to cig's, so I don't think they appeal, as the price is about the same as pipe tobacco in the US.
I brought just my one pipe, and a backup in case it broke. I ended up only smoking the one pipe, because it didn't break! Smoked on average 10 bowls a day...so let's say 140 bowls were smoked. Peterson 317. I need to ream it....can't even get a tamper in there anymore....:)
I brought the following tobacco's, and I will give a short review on how they fared in the Philippines. I found that tobacco tasted much different over there, in that humid weather, and I was surprised at how different.
1) Ennerdale Flake. This is usually my favorite. It tasted just OKAY. Didn't really enjoy it for some reason. It was mild, but too sweet, as if the flavor is intensified by the heat and humidity.

2) Hyde Park. Same thing. I love it over in the states, but it was just OKAY in the Philippines. Gave me heartburn in the mornings. Odd...I've smoked it since I've been back, and it tastes good.

3) GLP Triple Play. Where I was really enthusiastic about this plug when I received it in the US, it was completely unsmokeable in the Philippines. The taste was like asphalt, over-the-top full, the nicotine hit was so heavy on me that I would want to just lay down and sleep after. I smoked it exclusively for one day, then emptied my pouch and decided not to smoke it any more. Tasted absolutely terrible in that weather. Very odd. I thoroughly enjoy it on a cold night in the US.
So...now I'm in trouble....nothing I have is very good....I finally bust out some Hal O' The Wynd, which is the only other smoke I have.
NIRVANA!!!!! I ended up smoking this exclusively until I only had a couple bowls left (because I wanted to try it in the US to see if it was still good- which it is, thank god!). Smoked at the proper cadence (sloooowwwwww, and get it smoldering really nicely by breathing through the pipe a little) in a clenched small pipe, the flavour was very full. No bite whatsoever, but a little spiciness on the tongue and a thick mouth feel, like you can chew the smoke. Exhaling through the nose almost exclusively made me just want to eat it. Every time I smoked it, I just couldn't believe how DAMN good it is. Never have I felt this way about any tobacco except Condor- so completely content with each puff, every single bowlful. No heaviness after a smoke, making me want to lay down and be lazy...rather the opposite....more like it wakes me up like a good cup of coffee...which I did happen to very much enjoy each morning with my HOTW. Another interesting note, is that I hate DGT. To me, it tastes rotten. But I did this quite a bit with HOTW, and it didn't seem to degrade at all! In fact, I rather enjoyed it, even leaving it to sit for an hour or two while on a car ride.
On another note, I chewed some Betel nut with some natives. Good stuff. Sort of a nicotine-like buzz.
Also, no humidifier needed. I could leave a bowl packed overnight, and still moist in the morning.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Odd. I live in the tropics and never found tobacco tastes different elsewhere. Then again Hyde Park makes me want to gag, so obviously our tastes are very different. I smoke only outdoors, and I do find that in the summer when the temp is above 90 that I don't enjoy sitting outside long enough to finish a bowl :)

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I can identify with the tropics in Sarasota...No big deal except June, July, August with 80 degrees at nght and no-see-ums that want to strip you to the bone....

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
When I was in the Mekong Delta, I smoked a lot of DPE. It seemed to work well in the climate. MOf course, my colleagues swore that the fragrance would bring the VC down about our ears. First we had to learn not to use after shave, then they start criticizing our pipe tobacco. Is there no end to the oppression!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.