PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tad86

Lurker
Apr 7, 2014
I'm fairly new to pipes (and to these forums) so I've only smoked so far on my balcony in my flat which is covered and a great place to smoke.
However, I went home this weekend to my parents' house and there's nowhere good outside to smoke. And in the wind & the rain this made it quite a pain to enjoy some quiet time with my pipe and the rain constantly trying to put out my matches/lighter/pipe.
Any tips from those outdoor smokers who often have to put up with the weather trying to drench them and their tobacco?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think of smoking in the rain. You can't really juggle an umbrella, and you can't get enough

shelter under a tree or even with a wind cover on the pipe. There's probably an answer, but it will

take some doing, or scouting around. Buy your folks an awning? But them a freestanding screened

dining tent? Find a nearby garage or porch where you'd be welcome? Smoke in your car? And so on.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
foggymountain, now you know we are all dying to try this. Better let us know now if you were

kidding. Seems like the tobacco would burn too fast having the heat moving upward. Seems

like you could end up with a shoe full of embers, rain or no rain.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
As a kid I would duck hunt with my dad and he would smoke his pipe upside down in the rain. I wouldn't try it with a Dunhill but it can be done.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
That thunder storm pipe is cool! I have seen these hurricane briars on ebay from time to time but have yet to win one. So until then a little metal wind cap will do.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=80907

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'd rather take a beating than stand out in the rain and try to smoke my pipe (same for the cold weather). I just pass in those kind of conditions. I travel a lot and during the winter, I simply don't even bring my pipe bag. Standing outside a cold NY hotel room at night in blowing snow, trying to light a pipe is just not enjoyable. I do long for sunny, warm Spring mornings by the time April rolls around.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
If it's raining, I wouldn't try to force a pipe unless you're able to smoke in a covered area. Just the thought of the rain pouring into your tobacco, getting the pipe wet, and all that makes me cringe. Though, smoking in the rain (under my covered patio) is one of my favorite times to smoke. So relaxing. Now, windy conditions could be workable, but depends on how strong the winds.

Aug 14, 2012
Not kidding MSO. I have done it several times and it works. It is illustrated in one of Norman Rockwell's pictures.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
foggymountain is right. Plus, I'm always in a covered area as I'm never without my "Last Best Cowboy Hat." 10X, broad brim, that keeps the rain out of the pipe, off the camera when sighting, and off my neck.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Living in wales, on the coast, I deal with this problem every day. I stick it in mymouth and twist the bowl just past the horizontal. Sometimes it's just a lost cause though, the wind can blow too hard to make the tobacco hot and unsmokable.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I smoke my pipe to relax ... sitting in the rain, with or without my pipe, isn't my idea of relaxation ... you could try my solution, which is waiting for the rain to pass ... even if waiting means to following the dictum offered by Scarlett O'Hara at the end of "Gone With The Wind" ...
"After all, tomorrow is another day" ...

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I haven't tried it in the rain, but I'm sure my pocket pipe would work find. :D
2-pocket-pipe-600x339.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.