PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shillelagh3

Lurker
Feb 19, 2011
Georgia
Yeah, I know it's a lenghty title, but it gets the point across.
I re-read Greg Pease's article on how weather/climate sometimes influences what people smoke (http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/out-of-the-ashes/the-blends-of-summer/), and it had me reflecting on my smoking experiences this summer and wondering how others fare. I've read a few others' posts on their hot weather smoking tendencies, too, but I've come to the realization that not all hot weather is created equal. I live in central Georgia (U.S.), where it stays in the mid- to upper 90s and 100 percent humidity for most of the summer. It's an oppressive wet heat, like wearing a wet sweater in a sauna. I'm sure you get the picture. I've also been in Connecticut in late July during what the locals were calling a heat wave, when it was like 88. So, different people are going to have different approaches to what "hot" means. I've found that, for me, Englishes just don't work in Georgia heat, whereas VA/Pers are a little more doable (Thanks, Bob Tate, for the recommendation. You saved my life..sort of.). I also have to note that I have to smoke outside.
Does anybody else in the Southeast or in similar climates have problems with Englishes or any type of tobacco, for that matter, when it gets nasty hot out? Any preferences in hot weather?

bubblehead

Might Stick Around
May 26, 2011
Here in the Ohio River Valley (Louisville Kentucky) summer can feel like Guam, but I get to smoke in the house so no problem with English style blends in the air conditioning. When I go out though I will stick to my OTC Burley blends, PA or CH.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm in the desert of Las Vegas. High humidity here is anything over 10%. Usually it's in the upper 90's to low 100 temperature wise. The heat's not unbearable though until it starts reaching 110 or 115, because of the lack of humidity (I hail from Cincinnati so I know what 90 degree and 95% humidity is like). I just smoke aromatics with a Vriginia/Burley leaf blend and a few blends have a bit of Cavendish as well. So I can't say I've had problems with English blends and the heat, because I'm just not into English blends right now. Typically have a bowl in the morning before it hits 90 and in the evening as it's cooling off to 90 and the Virginia/Burley blends are wonderful.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
I enjoy Kentucky club blue when the temps are high in the back yard of central PA.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I live in New Orleans, the hot and muggy capitol of the world. The trick here is to use a dry pipe every time, so I keep 18 pipes in rotation. Takes about 2 days for a pipe to dry out. Helps to dry out the tobacco indoors where it's air conditioned as well. Hard to keep anything lit when the humidity is 100%, but the drier the pipe weed is, the better. If I want an aromatic, early morning is best. Otherwise, it's burley/Virginia or a Balkan for me.

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
I don't think it gets much hotter or more humid than it does in Tampa anywhere else except maybe Miami or the Keys. That being said, I smoke a lot of English blends and I smoke outside. The Virginias like Jackknife Plug and Triple Play is what I can't seem to do outside. I don't have an issue with anything else.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I just smoke what even seems to be right at the moment . Seems like this summer though I am hitting some of the aromatics a bit more often.

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
I agree with Arthur, I smoke whatever I want, but do tend to lean toward lighter aromatics on those extra hot days in the South.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Up here in Maine the nights cool down nicely even after a 90 degree day like today. So it doesn't matter much whether I puff on English or American Blends. Lately my pipe has been loaded with Uhle's burley blends and LJ Peretti burley blends. But at times after reading some tobacco reviews online I'm forced to go grab that particular blend. Forums can certainly change my direction sometimes. ,!!!!!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I smoke indoors mostly, but the pattern

I notice is VaPers in Spring and Fall,

straight Virginia flake in Summer, and

Burley/Va/Perique in the colder months.

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
I also smoke inside..The humidity in KY is horrible.Im glad to see bublehead on the forums.I thought I was the only pipe smoker in KY

onemangang

Might Stick Around
May 20, 2011
I migrate between central and south Georgia too. I don't smoke English blends. I smoke mostly Danish Aros and don't have any problems other than sometimes very high humidity causes me to use a few more matches than usual.

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
Here in north GA I tend to smoke whatever is on hand. However, I do notice that sometimes the heavier blends tend to be overpowering near the end of the bowl on hot days.

shillelagh3

Lurker
Feb 19, 2011
Georgia
Thanks for all your enlightening replies. I think I'm getting what I thought I'd get: Go light in the heat or just stay out of the heat, all together. I was surprised to see that aros were so popular in the heat. It's funny that, even before reading these posts, I've returned Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice to my rotation after months of smoking English: I ran out of C&D Good Morning, and had been REALLY enjoying Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls (VAPer) for most of the summer. I highly recommend the DLNR when it's hot out. I smoked it exclusively while on vacation in Florida at the beginning of the summer, and it did me right. Then I miraculously found and bought a tin of Samuel Gawith St. Jame's Flake (also VAPer). I smoked a few bowls of it after drying it out, but this seems to be a heavier blend than the DLNR, and not what I expected. Not bad, just heavy.
Anyway, given these events and circumstances, I'm back to Connoisseur's Choice and enjoying it. I envy all you guys who can smoke indoors, ergo anything goes, but I don't have that option (small house, few rooms, twin toddlers). It's also because of the twins that I have to grab my smoking opportunities when I get them, like when they're napping (middle of the day, when it's hotter than nine hells) or when I'm mowing the lawn (riding mower, big yard). Evenings are usually out, because I'm helping the wife clean up, bathe babies, put 'em to bed, etc., and I'm usually done with the day when all that's finished. Thanks again, guys. Jus wanted to see if everybody else was feeling the same thing.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
shillelagh3 - Bootleg's and my family is much the same way. He's only allowed to smoke inside when it meets the family review board for room note. ;) Even our 7 year old will say "Daddy, that's rank - you need to take that outside!" One trick he uses is to smoke while in the car with the AC on full blast.
Also, a year or two after we bought the house, we built a large sunroom at the back door and last year we put in one of those portable AC units. Most of our smoking is done out there, but if we're smoking something that passes the family review board, sometimes we'll smoke in the living room or the bedroom.

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
Ohio feels like a sauna since these past few days. I can drink the air and fell less thirsty than before.
Luckily I've got my Escudo.

Status
Not open for further replies.