Pipe Smoking in New Zealand-Am I All but Alone?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

156 Fresh Peterson Pipes
New Cigars
24 Fresh Estate Pipes
New Accessories
24 Fresh Brigham Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzpiper

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2011
I am a recent pipe smoker in New Zealand (immigrated from South Africa 7 years ago)and I was beginning to wonder whether I am almost alone in this most enjoyable of past-times here in NZ. Does anyone know of any clubs or like-minded souls here in New Zealand? I am a lonely voice in a country run by anti-smoking nazis and misguided do-gooders.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I hear some wizard and some halflings smoke pipes there. What were their names again??
(Just kidding, I don't know anyone from NZ)

twoadaydanny

Lurker
Aug 16, 2011
I'm not a Kiwi, but until recent years, I vacationed in New Zealand with some regularity. I've looked into it in the past, and it seems: 1) There are precious few tobacconists in NZ, and 2) Pipe tobacco is outrageously expensive there. Is this your experience NZPiper? It doesn't seem the most hospitable environment for pipe smokers.

twoadaydanny

Lurker
Aug 16, 2011
OK, so I was just Googling around for a few minutes. I found a grand total of one NZ tobacconist with an online presence. Based in Auckland. Selling tins of Peterson for NZ$69.00. With an exchange rate of about US$.84 to a NZ dollar these days, that's roughly US$58/tin. In the US, you'd pay 9 or 10 bucks.
All I can say is... seriously? Seriously???

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Damn; I thought $35 a tin here in Canada was steep!
Haven't been over since my teens, but I've got family in N.Z. (Aukland, Christchurch and Dunedin - my paternal grandmother met my grandfather during the Second World War, while he was stationed in Aukland). I was planning a trip for this fall, but between my being unable to secure tickets to any games I care about in the Rugby World Cup, and my wife going into month 16 of maternity leave (which stopped paying out at month 12), it just didn't happen.

harrier52

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2011
Theres at least one other kiwi i know of that smokes a pipe. He posts pretty regularly on Youtube his name is TheogeekNZ i believe. He says there are several pipe smokers in his area.

nzpiper

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2011
Wow, thanks for the response to my post! You're right twoadaydanny the prices here are rediculous, it's the goverments way to get people not to pipe, and frankly, it's working. I won't be put off though, because this is my hobby which I enjoy doing and I can't see myself stopping anytime soon.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
Woo hoo I am not alone!!!

:D

Woe betide the price of tobacco these state sideers dont know how good they have it i am in Invercargill at the bottom of the country where eb you brother?

I am excited :lol:

oh yes i am

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
[OK, so I was just Googling around for a few minutes. I found a grand total of one NZ tobacconist with an online presence. Based in Auckland. Selling tins of Peterson for NZ$69.00. With an exchange rate of about US$.84 to a NZ dollar these days, that's roughly US$58/tin. In the US, you'd pay 9 or 10 bucks.
All I can say is... seriously? Seriously???

] seriously my friend

I buy this brazzilain virginia for 40nz and that is my my everyday smoke

you guys need to reakise , this could happen to you!

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I think that at those prices growing your own might be tempting. What is the climate like there?
(I am really envious of you US people with GL Peases and other great blenders - not having to worry about outrageous taxation when ordering from them)

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
[I think that at those prices growing your own might be tempting. What is the climate like there?] already there though i am not sure how it will go down here at the bottom of the world

nzpiper

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2011
Hi seanz! Great to hear I'm not alone. I'm in New Plymouth on the North Island west coast. I've recently bought some Rum & Maple and Boxer online from a South African speciality store in Auckland, the pricing is pretty good and so are the smokes... ahh a litle nostalgia from back home. These two are not my faves but R&M has always been a taste from home for me and at the price... Anyway great to hear from all of you!

zuiderzee

Lurker
May 23, 2013
New Zealand used to grow its own tobacco for centuries (well, decades). Most of it was in Nelson region, which is very sunny and warm by our standards. This is also the area for best hops in the country (great beer-making there).

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I thought we had the worst prices, at $54 for a tin of Peterson Irish Whisky, my sympathies for having even worse prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.