PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

terry

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
I watched the movie "Larry Crowne" last night. There are several scenes involving pipe smoking..looks like the guy is smoking a peterson pipe. Has anyone else seen this movie?

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
No, but I did catch PANIC IN THE STREETS (1950 w/ Richard Widmark & Jack Palance) the other night on TCM. One character is a doctor who has a pipe firmly clenched in his teeth in every scene he is in and delivers all his lines perfectly! Great stuff!

Jul 15, 2011
Some movies that I have seen recently in which pipe smokers make a cameo:
Pirate Radio

Ghost Writer

Sherlock Holmes (obviously)
Also, if anyone remembers a short lived Showtime Series called Dead Like Me, Mandy Patinkin made an appearance as an avid pipe smoker. He had some really funny lines and looked pretty classy with a pipe hanging out of his teeth. Also, in a recent episode of the Travel Channel show Ghost Adventures, the owner of one of the buildings that they guys were going to be locked down in had a HUGE pipe hanging out of his mouth.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
How about A Dead Poets Society, where the boys are sitting in the old indian cave smoking pipes. :puffy:

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
There's a great old English picture whose name escapes me...takes place during the blitz, and an Englishmen posing as a tobacco shop owner assasinates suspected traitors with a hypodermic he has hidden in his pipe. Anyone know the title of this one?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The restored/colorized version of "It's a Wonderful Life" has a scene with George Bailey smoking a pipe and another with his uncle smoking as well. The scene with George (James Stuart) is really enhanced with the colorized version and you can pick out fine details on the shelves behind him, etc. It looks like the billiard he is smoking has a dot on it, a Dunhill perhaps? (it could be a Grabow or Kaywoodie as well, the detail isn't that good)
"Tinker, Tailer, Soldier, Spy" is coming out shortly. I watched the trailer last night and there is a pipe scene in it.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Saw a character in Cowboys and Aliens with a pipe, a pot shape. Didn't show it long enough for me to get an ID on it. Daniel Craig puffs a roll your own and there is a stogie as well in another scene.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Anyone watched the new Tintin movie? I haven't seen it yet myself, but I was wondering if they included Captain Haddock smoking his pipe. I've been reading the Tintin books with my young daughter for the last few months and I wondered if they decided to whitewash the smoking, which is pervasive in the books.
Reminds me of the interview in the bonus materials for the extended edition of the Lord of the Rings, where Peter Jackson considered removing the pipe smoking when making the movies, but decided it was integral.
Considering Peter Jackson is co-producing Tintin, I am curious.
Simon

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Nope, no pipe smoking in Tintin. PipefriendCHS, on Youtube, actually did a video about the lack of pipe smoking.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Nope, no pipe smoking in Tintin
...that's a shame. As Simon said earlier, the good captain's habit was always a part of the stories. I've loved the TinTin books since I was a kid. The movie will have to wait until DVD.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Not movies, but I have been watching Yogi the bear and the old Pink panther cartoons with my son. Both have pipe smokers in them often! :)

pjm03fatboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2011
there is a older movie with the actor name david carradine ? smoking a pipe can't remmber the movie ? any help..

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
there is a older movie with the actor name david carradine ? smoking a pipe can't remmber the movie ? any help..
http://postimg.cc/image/nlcfrl9lh/
Could it Be Golden Boys?

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I suspect that, as pipe smokers continue to grow in number, we'll start noticing more pipe sightings in TV and movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.