PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
Has anyone else noticed that in High Rise (feat. Tom Hiddleston), one of the aristocratic antagonists smokes a Peterson Classic Slimline billiard?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Recommend it?
High-Rise was released last year. On Amazon, perhaps others.
[Tom Hiddleston stars as Dr. Laing, resident in a high-tech skyscraper which places him amongst the upper class. Life seems like paradise. But, as building flaws emerge the social strata begins to crumble and the building descends into a class war.

Starring: Tom Hiddleston, Jeremy Irons, Sienna Miller.]

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
Definitely recommend it!
It's very surreal, and the cinematography's incredible. I'd call it almost dystopian...

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
I was thinking the same, crashthegrey. Snowpiercer was excellent!
If you like those types of stories, I suggest picking up a copy of "Brain Plaque" by Joan Slonczewski. Delightful read.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Jay, do you also find it astonishing that people come to an internet forum because they smoke pipes?
Curious and inquisitive minds want to know?

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I'm astonished that any director would ape the Ken Russell school of cinematic direction.

I'm also astonished that people use internet forums to express opinions

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"No one has said that, Jay."
Ok then.
"Jay, do you also find it astonishing that people come to an internet forum because they smoke pipes?"
Absolutely not 8O
"I'm also astonished that people use internet forums to express opinions"
N'owt stranger than folks :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wonder if a villain smoking a pipe is good or bad for pipe smoking. People are drawn to villains, and often they are more complicated and interesting than the heros. This is why so many historians and others have been drawn to the narratives of Henry VIII, Napoleon, Black Beard, and other baddies. This may be even more true of fictional villains because they can be so fully dramatized. Dr. Frankenstein, etc. It's sort of the "bad publicity is better than no publicity" principle. This may also be true because most people know they sometimes act badly whereas we're never sure if we are ever really that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.