PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
One of the current books I am reading (I usually have four or five on the go at one time) is 'Elizabeth's London: Everyday Life In Elizabethan London' by Liza Picard.
The book looks at all aspects of life in the period (1558 - 1603) from working conditions to health issues to crime and punishment and the like. Yesterday I came to the chapter on 'Amusements' which touched on recreational drugs, tobacco in particular. Below is a snapshot that I hope you find as interesting as I did.
"Tobacco was at first thought to be good for you. The Spanish pharmacologist Nicolas Monardes praised it as a cure for anything from bad breath to kidney stones. But smoker's wives must have noticed its negative effect on bad breath: 'it makes your breath stink like the piss of a fox' [Dekker: The Honest Whore act II scene I]. By 1577 it was being grown in England and by the 1590's a small pipeful could be bought in a playhouse for 3d.
At the playhouses and animal-baiting rings 'and everywhere else, the English are constantly smoking the Nicotan weed [Nicotiana] which in America is called Tobaca'. Once they had got their clay pipes to draw 'they draw the smoke into their mouths which they puff out again through their nostrils like smoke, along with it plenty of phlegm and defluxion from the head'. To 'drink' tobacco was to inhale.
A Swiss medical student writing in 1599 gives us this description:
'In the alehouses tobacco or a species of wound-wort [henbane?] are also obtainable...the powder is lit in a small pipe. The smoke is sucked into the mouth, and the saliva is allowed to run freely, after which a good draught of Spanish wine follows. This they regard as a curious [exceptional] medicine for defluctions, and as a pleasure, and the habit is so common with them that they always carry the instrument [pipe] on them and light up on all occasions, at the play, in the taverns or elsewhere, drinking as well as smoking together...and it makes them riotous and merry, and rather drowsy, just as if they were drunk, though the effect soon passes...and they use it so abundantly because of the pleasure it gives, that their preachers cry out on them for their self destruction and I am told the inside of one man's veins after death was found to be covered in soot just like a chimney'.
This is the fourth of Picard's books I have read and each of them has been a splendid read, dealing with life in London at various periods of time. I eagerly await her next book 'Chaucer's People: A Social History Of The Fourteenth Century' due out in October this year.
Regards,
Jay.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've always enjoyed books that delve into historical social commentary and every day life.

I've been tiptoeing through the Pepys diary for almost 2 years.. picking it up for a couple chapters and putting it down. I may get back in to that this evening.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Brian, regards Pepys, I would highly recommend Claire Tomalin's 'Samuel Pepys: The Unequalled Self'.
A fabulous book (have read it thrice already) considering it was her first effort. She has since written other historic biographies, one of which is of Charles Dickens which I have just ordered.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
John, defluctions as per Dr. Samuel Johnson 1755...
A defluxion; a flowing down of humours.
"We see that taking cold moveth looseness, by contraction of the skin and outward parts; and so doth cold likewise cause rheums and defluxions from the head" Bacon's 'Natural History'.
I'm none the wiser either :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The first edition (1770) of Encyclopædia Britannica doesn't give us much more...
DEFLUXION, in medicine the falling of humours from a superior to an inferior part of the body.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Warren, not touched the OED today, almost gave myself a hernia with the Johnson Dictionary (it weighs a ton) but shall tomorrow...time for feet up, book and glass of wine right now :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's great stuff. I have her book on the 18th century (my field) -- can't remember if it has much about tobacco, but I'll check.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Yaddy, that was Picard's quote, not mine. Same applies Toob to the wound wort and henbane. She too questioned whether the two were the same hence the question mark which may have slipped your notice :wink:
Pitchfork, I had a sneaky feeling you might be familiar with her books :puffy:
I'm still struggling with the soot found in the dead smoker's veins 8O
Regards,
Jay.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
..and it makes them riotous and merry, and rather drowsy, just as if they were drunk, though the effect soon passes...
Must have been Royal Yacht henbane.

Status
Not open for further replies.