PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
I thought my fellow forum members might enjoy this description of how a Chinese peasant, in a poor rural village, practiced the art of pipe smoking (this is an excerpt from a book I am editing on modern Chinese history):
"A little after 3 o’clock in the morning, he woke up and could not go back to sleep anymore. So he got up, put a soft yellow paper roll next to a flint, and lit the roll with a couple of strikes of a small iron chip on the flint. Then he took out the tobacco, about the size of fava bean, with his right thumb, index finger and the middle finger, from a cloth bag attached to his bamboo tobacco pipe. He shifted the tobacco into his left hand. With the paper roll between the ring finger and small finger of his right hand, he got a little tobacco from the left hand, made a pea size ball, and put it into the little pit on one end of the pipe. Then he blew on the cinders of the paper roll. Immediately, the fire formed. With the fire on the tobacco, he sucked in the smoke from the other end of the pipe. After 2 to 3 puffs, the tobacco was burned out. Then he shook out the ashes. He put another bean of tobacco in the pit of the pipe, and smoked again until all the tobacco from his left hand was gone. Then he inserted the paper roll with the cinders into a bamboo stick attached to the pipe to extinguish the cinders, and struck the pipe on the edge of his shoe sole to clean up the ash in the pit, the inserted it into his belt."

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think that I remember reading about that type of tobacco, it is smoked in Asia in very small bowled pipes. I can't recall the name, but Steve Laug at Reborn Pipes did a blog entry on it as he rec'd a Chinese pipe as a gift.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
My wife's grand mother told me she started smoking because when she was 13 her grand mother was blind. So it was her job to load a pipe and start it for her. She said grand dad rolled cigs and would know if she took one. So she would smoke grand mothers pipe on the sly. This was before WW2 in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.