Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Pipe Smoking: Hobby? Life Style?

(57 posts)
  1. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoking a pipe can be your main hobby, even an essential part of whatever you consider your lifestyle, but it doesn't have to be either. It's neither for quite a few here, based on posts over the past four years; it's just something we do. So, when you're greeted with "Welcome to the hobby", welcome indeed, whether it remotely resembles a hobby to you or not.

There are some true hobbyists among us, and some of their collections are awesome. Then we have a reviewer or three, and whether they consider that a hobby is up to them. One fellow has made it an incredible avocation. The casual maker of a handful of pipes may consider it a hobby. True collectors are probably hobbyists. (Not like me, with barrels of pipes, pretty random and not even sorted.) The historians among us may consider their passion a hobby. But just smoking a pipe and trying new blends doesn't make it a hobby—unless it is so for you.

As to life-style, I am not even sure what that is with respect to smoking. I guess we all have a "life style" that could be categorized by academics, but so what.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  2. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is the conclusion I have come to...

Codgers are out there, enjoying their pipe and blend of choice day in day out. Not as a hobby, but just alongside coffee, walking the dog etc etc.

But if you have signed up and participate as a member of a pipe smoking forum then pipe smoking is (at least to some extent) your hobby. I have read paragraphs from members here trying to convince themselves and others that this is not their hobby, but it seems to me that if it was NOT their hobby they would not be on this forum, sharing space with fellow pipe smokers, giving and taking advice/opinions on all things pipe and tobacco related.

I also think that the word 'hobby' has a spectrum of associations, kind of like how 'arts and crafts' could be seen as an inspiring art movement from the turn of last century or it could refer to grandma's knitting socks for the church fair, (I would buy the socks by the way). The definition for hobby is almost a description of pipe smoking, although pipe smoking, thanks to its ability to multi task, is not restricted to leisure time.

Isaac.

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  3. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting thread. I think that like most things, whatever it is we are doing here can't be categorized. Am I a pipe smoker? Collector? Hobbyist? Maybe a little of all of them.

I'm not sure smoking a bowl a month counts you as a pipe smoker, and 8 pipes is ridiculously low considering how many pipes some of you guys have. For me, this hobby (yes I used that word) is something that I just enjoy being part of.

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm passionate about pipes and smoking in general,Yes I'd guess the word of lifestyle may suit me better than a hobby, which in my opinion involves, collection or restoration of estate pipes at least

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 week ago #
  5. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's neither for me. It's just another way to enjoy tobacco.

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. frankrem

frankrem

Login to Send PM

I do enjoy the fact that we do have a community of like minded people. People that enjoy sharing their insight to those that are coming along behind them in the piping community.

Posted 1 week ago #
  7. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Isaac- (Mortonb)

Good points.

I guess for me participating in this forum is the hobby part. I like the camaraderie, sharing ideas, poking at things, learning, and hopefully helping others to learn, to enjoy this passion. And, it better be something, given the time I've spent here! But the smoking part, for me, not a hobby.

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I'm home alone smoking I don't consider it a hobby. If I'm looking for or discussing pipes with fellow pipers, it a hobby. Lifestyle is a bit more involved than I consider myself to be.

Jason
    Posted 1 week ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think people resist calling their interests hobbies, because it sounds like just a pass time rather than an endeavor of some kind. Life style is, to me, sort of an awful word. If you're a free thinker or non-conformist, just take on the mantel and don't attribute it to a generalized life style. Being a hippy wasn't a life style; people loosely categorized that way ranged all the way from hideous criminals to near saints, so it was hardly one life style, more a camouflage for millions of life styles, if you must use the phrase. Under the rubric of free speech, call it a hobby or life style if you choose. It's a habit, activity, and interest engaged by a vast array of people who aren't defined by it and many of whom have little in common otherwise. Part of the beauty of Forums, to bring 'em all together in their startling variety.

Posted 1 week ago #
  10. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

That's me as well. I enjoy tobacco in every form depending on how much time I have to do it.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 week ago #
  11. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I eat. I own a car and drive. I drink water and other beverages. I smoke a pipe. None of those listed prior to smoking a pipe are a hobby. Neither is smoking a pipe. I have amassed a fairly decent number of nice pipes. I guess it could be argued that is a bit of a hobby since 3 to 5 would be adequate.

Posted 1 week ago #
  12. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess for me participating in this forum is the hobby part. I like the camaraderie, sharing ideas, poking at things, learning, and hopefully helping others to learn, to enjoy this passion. And, it better be something, given the time I've spent here! But the smoking part, for me, not a hobby.

I think this sums up why people are inclined to say that this is not their hobby, that makes sense to me. But I don't see how being active on this forum, and putting money into pipes and cellars, gaining knowledge around the topic etc can be separated completely from the 'just smokin' a pipe'. Maybe it can?, I am willing to be convinced...

Hoosier, we all eat, drink and drive but how many of us join a specific forum around those daily routines?

Isaac

Posted 1 week ago #
  13. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would call pipes and tobacco an obsession. How else can you explain PAD and TAD?

Harris
    Posted 1 week ago #
  14. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think this sums up why people are inclined to say that this is not their hobby, that makes sense to me. But I don't see how being active on this forum, and putting money into pipes and cellars, gaining knowledge around the topic etc can be separated completely from the 'just smokin' a pipe'. Maybe it can?, I am willing to be convinced...

Hoosier, we all eat, drink and drive but how many of us join a specific forum around those daily routines?

Isaac

Probably not a lot of us on this forum, but there are active forums for each of those! And some folks are obsessed with eating, or drinking, or driving and owning cars.
    But you're right; it may be impossible for many of us to draw a definitive line.

Posted 1 week ago #
  15. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

But I don't see how being active on this forum

I joined to learn maintenance techniques and to get direct answers about restorations. I stay to help the new guys.

putting money into pipes and cellars,

To be able to smoke when tobacco is unaffordable, unavailable, or both.

Posted 1 week ago #
  16. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

I sometimes wonder if we're all using the same definition for "hobby" when these discussions arise. I tend to think that all people on this forum are, in some part at least, hobbyists even though they swear they aren't. But that's because I'm taking the definition literally: an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation.

If that description doesn't fit your pipe smoking then are you just a nicotine addict that derives no pleasure from smoking and has no interest in what you're doing?

Posted 1 week ago #
  17. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me, pipes and tobacco is a hobby. I enjoy learning about the lore, as well as restoring estates and the methods behind the tobaccos and pipes I enjoy. Pipes and pipe tobacco are part of my lifestyle, but not the entirety of it. Used to be a time when I always had a pipe going, these days it is a leisure time activity. Can no longer smoke at work, in a restaurant, at a bar, etc.

Posted 1 week ago #
  18. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A simple adjunct to life is how I describe tobacco. Now I've had no nicotine for six weeks, I miss it a bit but, the more oxygen in the blood the better at this time. But, "hobby" denotes, to me, a distraction from life which doesn't fit. An obsession? I can obviously and happily live without the weed. Will I go back to it. Probably. We'll see once I'm healed. Certainly not a life style! Just an incidental part of my life, no different from a doughnut, a hunk of beef or a good book.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  19. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

I'm a smoker, or if you prefer, an addict. I have nice pipes and I don't smoke cheap tobacco much, but I smoke multiple bowls a day. Honesty compels me to admit it.

Posted 1 week ago #
  20. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

then are you just a nicotine addict that derives no pleasure from smoking and has no interest in what you're doing?

Why can you not be addict and still enjoy it? I regularly smoke pipes, cigars and cigarettes, chew loose leaf, plugs, twists, and love nasal snuff. I love every moment of it. I just don't get into pipe history, theory, or display. How many threads have you seen where someone asks for high nicotine blends?

Posted 1 week ago #
  21. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It would be kind of silly to consider the actual smoking to be a hobby.

But the PAD and TAD certainly could be considered that.

No different than someone with a wine cellar who collects fine wines. Drinking the wine is not a hobby...but the rest of it could be called that.

All of this of course is to varying degrees depending on the individual. But, IMO, unless you only have a few pipes and a relatively small stock of tobacco, then it is to some degree a hobby. And yes, you can still be an addict or an obsessive and have a hobby at the same time. Most hobbies are an obsession to some degree.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 week ago #
  22. kylef

kylef

Login to Send PM

More of a hobby for me. I had never smoked anything before, and I don't have a nicotine addiction. I range from two or three bowls a week to two or three bowls a month, depending on season and circumstance.

I've found the whole process of learning to pack and smoke a pipe, learning about the history and the different types and cuts of pipe tobacco, and exploring the seemingly endless blends out there to be very enjoyable. I have lots of hobbies and interests that I like exploring, and pipe smoking is in that category for me.

Like lots of things--if you're willing to invest some time and effort into it, you get rewarded with a skill, knowledge and appreciation of something that most people don't have. It just makes your life richer, IMO.

Posted 1 week ago #
  23. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

There has to be some hobby element to it for me. Obviously, I'm a nicotine addict, so it's partly a habit/compulsion. But if I was looking for the most efficient way to get nicotine, I'd smoke cigarettes or inhale a pipe, as inhaling smoke is the second most efficient delivery system for any drug outside of injection. If I was looking for the safest/least detrimental mode of nicotine administration, it would be Swedish Snus or nicotine gum/lozenges/patches. I enjoy smoking cigars and pipes though. I enjoy the taste of the tobacco in addition to the nicotine. I enjoy the pastime of preparing and smoking a pipe or cigar.

Posted 1 week ago #
  24. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

efficient way to get nicotine, I'd smoke cigarettes or inhale a pipe,

Absorbing the nicotine directly into the blood through the mucus membranes in the nose and mouth is pretty damned efficient. And, no cloud of smoke to irritate the lungs. Or, are you equating the irritation of the smoke into the lungs with a nicotine hit. As nicotine simply displaces oxygen in the blood I don't know that there is any "safe" or least detrimental method of accomplishing such.

One needs to simply ignore the known negatives of smoking and enjoy the act of smoking. That's what I recommend, acquaint yourself with the hazards, weight the risks and decide.

Posted 1 week ago #
  25. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Mr, Danimalia and Mr Warren, Well spoken, completely agreeing, and Yes when one has a 35+ year smoking career behind his shoulders how anyone could allege he is not an addict to nicotine, that'll be self-delusion and only

Posted 1 week ago #
  26. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have come back to this with a little more context, thanks to some pondering on my commute (and amphora black cavendish in a meer).

I remember back when my wife and I were newly married, and she would tell her friends I was a 'surfer'. It took a while for me to explain to her why that made me cringe so hard. Growing up in a surftown in New Zealand I surfed my way through to adulthood from the age of 12 or so, going out up to 3 times a day when the surf was good etc etc. My dad was/is a surfer and it made sense to do something aquatic when you live a couple of blocks back from the pacific ocean, everyone in town used the beach to some extent, but I never considered myself to be a 'surfer'. If the surf was flat for a while I never drove down the coast looking for waves, I just did something else with my time.

So in a round about way I think I can kind of see how people would smoke a pipe but not really relate to the label of 'pipe smoker'....

Posted 1 week ago #
  27. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

So in a round about way I think I can kind of see how people would smoke a pipe but not really relate to the label of 'pipe smoker'....

Definitely a pipe smoker here, just not into the "hobby aspect".

Posted 1 week ago #
  28. jon11

jon11

Login to Send PM

Hobby: An activity done in ones leisure time for pleasure.
    I would say by the definition of hobby that all pipe smokers here fit the bill. Unless of course you don’t get pleasure from smoking a pipe, buying pipes, buying tobacco, surfing the forum, and conversating on the subject. I know it’s not cool to say this is one of your hobbies but by definition it is.

Posted 1 week ago #
  29. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

Absorbing the nicotine directly into the blood through the mucus membranes in the nose and mouth is pretty damned efficient. And, no cloud of smoke to irritate the lungs. Or, are you equating the irritation of the smoke into the lungs with a nicotine hit

Not to belabor a minor point, but no. Inhalation is far more efficient and faster-acting. That's why virtually all people who smoke to get a dose of a drug inhale the smoke, whether it's nicotine, cannabis, meth or whatever. Getting my nicotine through a pipe is actually a big adjustment, because it tends to take me at least 15 minutes to feel any nicotine effect from a pipe, as opposed to like 10 seconds with cigarettes.

Posted 1 week ago #
  30. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

@Mr, Danimalia and Mr Warren, Well spoken, completely agreeing, and Yes when one has a 35+ year smoking career behind his shoulders how anyone could allege he is not an addict to nicotine, that'll be self-delusion and only

Maybe having had struggles in other aspects of my life has made me more open about the addiction aspect, but nicotine is a very addictive drug. I don't feel it makes any sense to deny what is obvious about my individual relationship to the substance.

Posted 1 week ago #
  31. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hobby: An activity done in ones (sic) leisure time for pleasure.

So ... no leisure time equals ... no hobby?

Posted 1 week ago #
  32. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

An activity done in ones leisure time for pleasure.

Hmmm. I smoke at work, while driving, while doing yard work, etc.

So by that definition, cigarette smokers are hobbyists and taking a dump is a hobby!

Hobby just sounds like a cop out to avoid being called a smoker.

Posted 1 week ago #
  33. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

and taking a dump is a hobby!

I'm glad we finally all agree that everyone has a hobby.

Posted 1 week ago #
  34. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I'm glad we finally all agree that everyone has a hobby.

Never said I didn't. I just can't call nicotine delivery techniques a hobby.

Posted 1 week ago #
  35. frankrem

frankrem

Login to Send PM

The definition of Hobby definitely fits. Pipe smoking takes a definite time commitment. This isn't like the occasional cigarette to satisfy the need for a quick nicotine hit. Nor is it as simple as lighting up and dragging a cigarette down. There is also an element of skill involved as you learn the packing, lighting, tamping and proper care of the pipe itself. Not to mention the various cadences based on the tobacco that you happen to be using in that particular pipe. I think smoking a pipe deserves the elevation to a "Hobby" status.

When I think of a hobby I think of an activity that I enjoy doing. Investing my time in a activity that is enjoyable but more than just an every day simple task. I believe smoking a pipe takes more thought than some of the more experience pipe smokers may give themselves credit for. Thus the feeling that it should be less than a hobby. Just joining your world and experiencing all of these processes for the first time. I am still walking myself through the steps, enjoying the process and investigating all the variables.

Perhaps it may start as Hobby for the laymen and as you gain wisdom from many years of pipe smoking the hobby aspect evolves into something else entirely.

Posted 1 week ago #
  36. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I believe smoking a pipe takes more thought than some of the more experience pipe smokers may give themselves credit for.

Place stummel in jar.
    Fill chamber with finger.
    Clench between teeth, light, and go.

I find RYO cigarettes more complicated than pipe smoking.

Posted 1 week ago #
  37. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipe smoking takes a definite time commitment.

Really! I smoke a pipe while running my chain saw, photographing wildlife, driving, etc and never found I needed to dedicate time solely to tending or smoking the pipe. The idea that pipe smoking is full of arcane techniques can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Many pipe smokers enjoy having the process complicated with ritual and such. Many of us simply choose to stuff, light up and enjoy as we go about our day. You have my sympathies that pipe smoking impinges on your time. But, I'm also happy that you apparently enjoy such interruptions.

Posted 1 week ago #
  38. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never said I didn't. I just can't call nicotine delivery techniques a hobby.

I would not advise attempting to engage in your pictured hobby without the aid of nicotine.

Hobby just sounds like a cop out to avoid being called a smoker.

As for the idea that one must choose between being a smoker or a hobbyist, I just don't see the two as mutually exclusive.

I'm definitely a smoker...and there are aspects of the study and collection of pipes and pipe tobacco that definitely meet the generally accepted notion of a hobby.

Posted 1 week ago #
  39. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I would not advise attempting to engage in your pictured hobby without the aid of nicotine.

None needed, puzzles relax me.

As for the idea that one must choose between being a smoker or a hobbyist, I just don't see the two as mutually exclusive.

No, but at the same time, one can be either or both.

Posted 1 week ago #
  40. samuelgawith01

samuelgawith01

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don’t know how to classify what this I do.I do know it’s in my blood,always has been.Even as a minor child,I was drawn to it,although I didn’t
    actually light up a pipe for the first time until the age of eighteen.Never looked back.

Posted 1 week ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

nunnster

Login to Send PM

Interesting thread and discussion going on here. I, and my significant other would call my "pipey-ing" a hobby. Its more involved than just eating or drinking to me. I feel like it's more like homebrewing, which I also enjoy. If it was something I just did, like buying a six pack or smoking a cigarette I would say its neither a hobby or a lifestyle, but I personally enjoy learning and reading more, understanding the deeper aspects of it like burn temps and chemistry behind it, learning about tobacco's and how they grow and what makes them different, as well as the history and other things like that. While I love the simple act of smoking too, it's those other things which to me makes it a hobby.

Posted 1 week ago #
  42. cshubhra

cshubhra

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a topic very close to my heart .. I smoked a pipe (not in the true sense) back in 1997 during my college days. During my college days, I used it as a quick Nicotine fix, but smoked good tobaccos (Capstan Blue and Gold are what this forum members would be familiar with, and some good (but not widely known) VAs. I picked up a pipe again in 2017 and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, smoking a pipe need you to slow down, and reflect. I have a very fast life, with little down time. I made pipe smoking a lifestyle choice, and tried to fit my lifestyle to pipe smoking. I smoked 5 bowls a day, spent all my free time in researching about pipe smoking, tasted new tobacco every day, bought pipes every two weeks and had a lot of fun (While it lasted).
    Too much of a good thing is however is not good for you. One fine day ... suddenly I thought ... “What am I doing?” ... and put down my pipe, and stopped everything abruptly. I probably smoked only 4 or 5 bowls in the following two years.

After almost 2 years, I have started smoking a pipe again. In the true pipe smoking spirit, I hope I will take it slow. I will smoke a pipe only when I have free time for a pipe. Last time it was a lifestyle choice and it did not end well. This time, it is just a hobby and I hope I will continue many years to come.

The good thing is ... the youngest tobacco in my cellar is 2+ years old and the oldest is 9+ years, so I am constantly smoking matured tobacco

Posted 1 week ago #
  43. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

Interesting thread and discussion going on here. I, and my significant other would call my "pipey-ing" a hobby. Its more involved than just eating or drinking to me. I feel like it's more like homebrewing, which I also enjoy. If it was something I just did, like buying a six pack or smoking a cigarette I would say its neither a hobby or a lifestyle, but I personally enjoy learning and reading more, understanding the deeper aspects of it like burn temps and chemistry behind it, learning about tobacco's and how they grow and what makes them different, as well as the history and other things like that. While I love the simple act of smoking too, it's those other things which to me makes it a hobby.

This is such a fascinating topic. Beer is a great example. Many people, whether they homebrew or not, engage in the pursuit of drinking beer as a hobby. Any lush can buy a quart of King Cobra at the 7-11, but what about the people who wait hours in line for the Pliny beers at the Russian River Brewery or whatever? There has to be some element of hobby going on there. Of course, some of those people in line are also alcoholics and use the hobby element as a cover for their habit, and others still who recognize the habit aspect AND enjoy the hobby element of searching out new beers, tasting and comparing them. I think you could make a sort of similar Venn diagram type analogy for pipe smokers.

Posted 1 week ago #
  44. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Says it all...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 week ago #
  45. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

"It's neither for me. It's just another way to enjoy tobacco"

I'm in this category. It's the most enjoyable form of tobacco consumption.

Posted 1 week ago #
  46. charf

charf

Login to Send PM

For myself I would consider it a hobby. TAD and PAD is just as interesting as learning pipe smoking techniques. As is reading and interacting on this forum. I don’t see myself as a smoker as I don’t feel the urge to smoke a pipe all the time nor have the time to do that. However I don’t think my non-smoking family members or friends would agree if I tried to tell them it was just a hobby. Perhaps I also think this way as I gave up one hobby and then replaced it with this one.

Posted 1 week ago #
  47. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

However, smoking a pipe need you to slow down, and reflect.

Why?

Posted 1 week ago #
  48. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yeah I rarely slow down and reflect when I smoke. I'm always doing something along with it. Yard work, chores, cleaning, work on the car etc.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 week ago #
  49. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But that's because I'm taking the definition literally: an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation.

That definition is wide, very wide. Reading or watching TV is not a "hobby" for most people, nor is eating candy and ice cream. Whose definition?

If that description doesn't fit your pipe smoking then are you just a nicotine addict that derives no pleasure from smoking and has no interest in what you're doing?

No.

Posted 1 week ago #
  50. cshubhra

cshubhra

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Embers - I have always enjoyed the pipe when pipe is the main focus. If I am doing something else, and smoking a pipe in tandem, I often put down the pipe after 5/10 minutes. Sometimes I go for a cigarette immediately after that.
    This experience is of course very personal.

Posted 1 week ago #
  51. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

There are aspects to pipe smoking that definitely make it a hobby, such as collecting pipes, or pipes made by a specific maker, or collecting specific shapes, or the perfect exemplar from a variety of admired carvers, delving into the myth, lore, and/or history of pipes and tobaccos, or collecting and savoring very rare vintage blends. None of the above is necessary to the simple act of smoking.

Buying a pack from the corner convenience store and lighting up a cig is one thing. Firing up a bowl of vintage 1950's Craven Mixture in favored pipe and appreciating the flavors that time and chance have wrought, is another. And there are points in between.

As for lifestyle, I think of that as a term best applied toward a broad locus of activities, of which engaging in a hobby may be one.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 week ago #
  52. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If someone wants to call it their hobby, lifestyle, obsession, past-time, or magical time transportation, I could care less, and I wonder why we let such things bother us. For me, it's an addiction, and if someone doesn't like what I call it for myself, then I will enjoy seeing you squirm every time I say it. Thanks for telling me what your buttons are. I will be sure to hit those buttons as much as possible. Backy, backy, backy.

But, as mentioned, there is much more to this "thing" than just delivering nicotine. I smoke cigars, but I couldn't care less what company makes what, but some guys make more of a hobby out of cigars than me. When I smoked cigarettes, I didn't research cigarettes endlessly and stay up all night watching videos of people smoking cigarettes. However, with pipes, there is so much more to it than any other method of smoking that we search for things to call it. Hobby, past-time, lifestyle... different pipemakers, styles, tobaccos, tobacco companies, genres, there is so much to explore that it is hard to tag it along with cigarettes, dip, snuff, or cigars. So, we struggle to give it a category. I don't think that anyone who calls it a hobby thinks of it along the same vein as model airplanes or golf, but it fits better than just calling it a time suck.

Eh, I just say we roll with whatever someone wants to call it. Whatever burns your backy. He he!

Michael
    Posted 1 week ago #
  53. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah. One reason I started the thread was to make clearer it's a hobby if it is for you, and not a hobby if it isn't. Those anti-hobbyists have their lobbyist.

Posted 15 hours ago #
  54. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I could care less, and I wonder why we let such things bother us.

Labels! Gotta have 'em. Life gets angsty for some if they can't comfortably "cubby hole" everything. Me? I'm not a fan of labels be it people or their activities.

Posted 11 hours ago #
  55. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

An interesting and, for me, thought-provoking thread with a satisfying conclusion.

I just say we roll with whatever someone wants to call it

Agreed. Brings to mind the old adage, "A language is a dialect with an army and a navy." I personally happen to dislike the use of "hobby" for smoking (I would most likely not commit assault if kept from, say, my crochet hooks), so I won't use it unless the "hobbyists" can make me. And the once-a-weekers who smoke less in a month than I do before breakfast are kind of a different breed anyhow, so they can call it whatever they want as far as I'm concerned. Unless it's "piping" - in which case I'm raising an army.

Posted 9 hours ago #
  56. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with Duane when he said..."To be able to smoke when tobacco is unaffordable, unavailable, or both."

Posted 8 hours ago #
  57. shayde

shayde

Login to Send PM

I would say that smoking isn’t a hobby, I’m just legitimately addicted to nicotine. Anyway I can get it is fine by me. However, not everyone receives me spitting everywhere while I am dipping or appreciates the odor of cigarettes. Pipes give me the ability to consume tobacco with the least friction in public places. I would consider collecting pipes a hobby of mine as I sometimes buy pipes that I have no intention of smoking (or at least have no intentions of letting people see me smoke!) I’ve got to say calabash’s, Churchwardens, and anything with too much of a bend on it make me look super goofy...maybe it’s just my face shape, my age, or even just my face

I long for the days when I’m old and grey and can look mystical smoking a Churchwarden. But right now I just look out of place smoking one, like those teenagers who wear fedoras with several fashion faux pas. Although maybe I just need a half decent beard!

"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." -Robert W. Service
    Posted 1 hour ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   nhhiggy, ben88, snagstangl, 64alex, alaskanpiper, danimalia, ashdigger, upnorth1, cshubhra, canadianpuffer, jaytex969, scottfree