Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pipe Smoking Has Taught Me...

(54 posts)
  • Started 5 months ago by maxsmoke
  • Latest reply from trouttimes
  1. maxsmoke

maxsmoke

Login to Send PM

I was a cigarette smoker up until a few months ago . I have not looked back since quitting. Sadly without even knowing it cigarettes distorted my perception and limited my ability to experience and enjoy tobacco.

Before smoking a pipe and while I was still smoking cigarettes I would smoke cigars . But sadly as a cigarette smoker my mindset was to smoke the cigar like a cigarette but without inhaling. Little did I know at the time , there was so much more to it .

Since learning how to smoke a pipe and to truly enjoy the tastes and relaxing nature of the ritual I applied the same techniques to my cigar smoking. What a noticeable difference! Again , the flavours of the tobacco really hit all the notes .

I am being to think that the one tobacco product most often used , cigarettes , are actually the furthest thing away from what smoking can be .it would also seem that the negativity surrounding cigarettes influences policies in a negative way when it comes to pipe tobacco and cigars . As a person who enjoys tobacco how can we change the narrative and insist on a distinction being made between cigarette smoking and tobacco in general?

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a person who enjoys tobacco how can we change the narrative and insist on a distinction being made between cigarette smoking and tobacco in general?

That ship's already sunk. You just can't educate antis. They'll insist on lumping everything into the same category: the disease of tobacco use.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 5 months ago #
  3. wolflarsen

wolflarsen

Login to Send PM

The distinction is clear. Pipe smoking is the about the worst method of getting nicotine from tobacco but the best method of getting flavor. The opposite is true for cigarettes.

Posted 5 months ago #
  4. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm sitting here very relaxed with my pipe.
    I don't know what cigarettes might do because I could not smoke them. They made me sick!
    So, the question, what does a pipe do?
    Think of relaxing the mind after a long day of stress.
    And I will rest my case on that fact alone.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 5 months ago #
  5. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

how can we change the narrative and insist on a distinction being made between cigarette smoking and tobacco in general?

The reality of the world today is that smoking of any kind is, for the most part, not socially acceptable, and I tend to agree with that. Why in the world would I want to subject anyone to something they don't want?

Who really cares if there is a distinction between pipes and cigarettes? Enjoy your pipe in the park, on your porch, in your den, maybe on the stream if you're out fishing or wherever else it does not interfere with anyone that does not want to be subjected to it.

I can't for the life of me understand why so many here feel the need to justify themselves. My missionary days are over.

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 5 months ago #
  6. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I don't think it is justifying our selves. I think we are feeling persecuted and treated unfairly. I agree that we shouldn't subject others but we should not be outcast. We have laws were I live that won't allow me to smoke my pipe while enjoying an adult beverage while listing to a band as I sit on a hillside, but I can be subjected to drunks all around me ( not to mention pot smokers).

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 5 months ago #
  7. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Drunks? Pot? You are equating pipes to alcohol and weed? That's not going to work in a discussion. Apples to oranges. Two are socially acceptable and one is not.

I smoke cigarettes and pipes. I can discern no difference between the two except the pipe's apparently mystical abilities seem to make me relax, make me smarter, I look more extinguished. er ... distinguished, taller, more attractive, convivial, and so forth. (For those in Loma Linda this paragraph is known as sarcasm.)

There are many different cigarettes with full tobacco flavors. Sorry, "maxsmoke", that you never ran into any. My MCD's are flavorful, not wrapped in chemical laden paper and snuff themselves out when left unattended. Just like pipes!

We smokers simply need to embrace position as social outcasts, get comfortable with the situation, revel in the rebellion.

The carcinogens when tobacco is ignited are the same in cigarettes and pipe blends so, one can't make any health distinction. Pipes maybe less of a health hazard as the carcinogens are not sucked into the lungs but, they are absorbed through the various tissues they pass over.

So, to arrive at a place where pipe smoking is again socially acceptable we have but one choice, wait until the pendulum swings. That's only gong to happen when pigs are required to file flight plans.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  8. maxsmoke

maxsmoke

Login to Send PM

@Bassbug one reason I would like to see the distinction made is because of the taxes. I live in Canada and with the insanity taking place up here I can be paying anywhere from 3 to 4 time for a tin of tobacco over what that same tin is going for in the US.

Posted 5 months ago #
  9. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I first took up the pipe it helped me to slow things down and relax. I can't imagine a cigarette doing that, although I guess it might for some. There is also the hobby aspect of it all; the shapes, styles, materials. So I have learned to appreciate that aspect as well.

Posted 5 months ago #
  10. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

maxsmoke,

I live in Canada too. (Toronto) As much as I sympathize about the prices here, there's no distinction between different types of tobacco. A reduction in pipe tobacco taxes would mean the same for cigarettes and cigars and that's never going to happen. We're just too far down that road to make a u turn.

@trouttimes

Around here the regulations for smoking weed (which is legal)are the same as any other kind of smoking. I'm not happy about the social standing of smokers, but the reality is we live in a time and place where we have to accept it. At the end of the day, pipe smokers, just like cigarette smokers are burning tobacco leaves that create smoke. The only difference is that we choose a slower nicotine delivery method with a lower health risk. That's why we need a one hour smoke vs. 5 minutes for a cigarette

Posted 5 months ago #
  11. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

I didn't get very upset about the anti-tobacco stuff until I started getting tins with that big, stupid, art-ruining warning crap on the front.

Posted 5 months ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipe smoking has taught me that an infinite number of pipes and blends are not too many. Comparatively, I don't have so many, but the principle applies. When the proprietor of my local independent pipe shop sees me studying the wall of pipes, he has asked me if I see anything I like. I quip, I'm looking for something I don't like.

Posted 5 months ago #
  13. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

-laugh- As always, Tom, you make me chuckle.

I wish I didn't have to agree with olkofri, but I'm afraid I do; seems we're just all seen as the devil incarnate, & logic be damned. -sgh-

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  14. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why is everyone so concerned with what others may think?
    IMO other people are exactly that. Other people. They do their stuff and I do mine.
    And it is my experience that our perception of what others think of us is most often more based on our own prejudices and worries than what they actually think of us. If indeed they think of us at all.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  15. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Workmam, what others think directly effects my political aspirations and my acting career!

Posted 5 months ago #
  16. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

again here goes my vote for Warrens statement, all true.+1

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 5 months ago #
  17. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Warren is my hero! +1

Neal
    Posted 5 months ago #
  18. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

trouttimes: We all, at sometime or another, have sold ourselves for moneys. Truck drivers, teachers, cops, ditch diggers and everyone else seeking a salary or, a vote are all in the same boat. I, thankfully, no longer need to sell my skills or knowledge. So, you and others are in a tough but, normal circumstance. It all boils down to, "Are your abilities worth the price. How much of your soul and freedoms are you willing to part with to attain your goals?" But, all of us have prostituted our bodies, looks and/or brains for sustenance or other rewards. You aren't alone.

Posted 5 months ago #
  19. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The carcinogens when tobacco is ignited are the same in cigarettes and pipe blends so, one can't make any health distinction.

I've read many times that cigarette "tobacco" contains a lot of additives that aren't tobacco. Dozens. Is this a shibboleth?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  20. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Workman, I agree with you, and in a decent world that would work. When people start getting pushy and bitchy with me I'm likely to tell them: "there are only four persons whose opinion of me matters to me: the first Three is God, and the other one ain't you" (unless I'm actually talking to Her, of course).

The concern nowadays, however, is not so much that others won't like us, but that they're trying to, in the words of Bassbug, 'subject others (us) to something we don't want (not being able to smoke)'.

Posted 5 months ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tell my partner that I smoke a pipe to relax. She tells me if I was any more relaxed, I'd be dead.

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 5 months ago #
  22. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've read many times that cigarette "tobacco" contains a lot of additives that aren't tobacco. Dozens. Is this a shibboleth?

Same with blends. Casings, toppings, fertilizers and other soil amendments, the odd hair, etc., we've all read here of odd objects found in a freshly opened tin. The distinction is; common brands of cigarettes are wrapped in chemically infused paper, so as to make them burn faster and continuously. Tobaccos used in cigarettes are essentially the same, different proportions, as in blends. I believe Michael made the observation that tobaccos used in cigarettes are often some of the best available. I think cigarette makers usually have access to more moneys, purchasing larger quantities for a better price point. That's only a anecdotal observation however.

Posted 5 months ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We all, at sometime or another, have sold ourselves for moneys.

Never money. A couple of beers, a shot or two, well ya, who hasn't right? Am I right?!?!

Posted 5 months ago #
  24. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Olkofri, I know. Being a smoker can be difficult. But what I'm talking about is the way we tend to merge politics and people around us. So when policy makers or health concerned lobbyists give us a hard time, we leap to the conclusion that everyone is against us. Which may or may not be true. Probably not.
    I believe most ordinary people are mostly fine with or indifferent to whatever we choose to do. And I think we get the most of whatever we do if we aren't so concerned with what "they" might think.

Posted 5 months ago #
  25. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'subject others (us) to something we don't want (not being able to smoke)'.

Sorry bro, that one just don't fly

Posted 5 months ago #
  26. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't make me throw latakia at you, Bassbug!

Posted 5 months ago #
  27. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For a moment I thought you said LATKES...I love those, but the sour cream would be messy

Posted 5 months ago #
  28. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I believe Michael made the observation that tobaccos used in cigarettes are often some of the best available. I think cigarette makers usually have access to more moneys, purchasing larger quantities for a better price point.

I think that cigarette manufacturers are just greedy and if they can save a penny in order to make an extra buck by compromising on the quality aspect, they won't hesitate to do it. After all, 99% of cigarette smokers (community to which I belonged and every so often I still indulge in the habit especially when I have one too many drinks) are looking to scratch an itch - the psychological gesture and the throat and chest tickling, and are less interested in tobacco aroma. Warren, to that end you may be a minority of the cigarette smoking community.

Getting back to the op question, pipe smoking has given me a good pass time and a means of slowing down. I like collecting stuff, and tobacco and pipe collecting is a very agreeable pass time for me. Also, smoking a pipe helps me slow down, which is imperativ for a choleric personality such as mine. In other words, it adds a pinch of sweetness to my quality of life. Is it as deadly as cigarettes? I would argue not, simply because one is not inhaling. Is tobacco bad for your health? Well ... smoking two packs of cigs a day is certainly more hazardous than smoking two bowls.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 4 months ago #
  29. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I like every form tobacco comes in and have never been persecuted for using any of them publicly. I've received a lot of questions regarding pipe smoking and heard stories of relatives that smoked a pipe but never anything negative. As for other's opinions, I can't think of one person's opinions that mean anything to me.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  30. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

are less interested in tobacco aroma.

Even with pipes, aroma holds little interest for me. I'm all about the nicotine and the flavor. I really do not smell the tobacco smoke while smoking nor after. More so, tin note really doesn't tell be a thing about the flavor of the product when burning. A nice aroma may lead to a terrible taste. I prefer "English" blends so the nose may help when selecting blend from a jar in shop. But, that's still no guarantee of a great blend. At least that's true for me.

I also know many cigarette smokers who smoke for the same reason many here cite, relaxing. And, thank God for those "greedy" companies who have cigarettes in their portfolio. Their profits help me and millions of others, smoker or not, to maintain a chosen life style as retirement plans and other investments benefit from their profits/greed. Profit is good. Loss is bad. Pipe blend manufactures are not giving their product away to users, they want profits also. I know of no altruistic manufacturers of pipe blends.

pipe smoking has given me a good pass time and a means of slowing down. I like collecting stuff, and tobacco and pipe collecting is a very agreeable pass time for me.

Are the above not "itches" you scratch with the pipe and various pipe paraphernalia purchases? I fail to see any reason to denigrate cigarettes in order tout pipes. Makes no sense to me. Both the pipe and cigarette are purely personal, selfish choices. Really no major difference, no matter how hard one tries to justify the use of one over the other. I take the easy way out, accepting responsibility for bad choices I make and enjoying cigarettes and tobacco. So, I waste no time trying to ease my mind. And, not only do I get to select from a myriad of blends, I also have many choices of cigarette brands. My tobacco world is much wider than yours! You've so limited your choices.

Posted 4 months ago #
  31. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I fail to see any reason to denigrate cigarettes in order tout pipes.

I agree. I concede that pulling smoke into one's lungs isn't healthy, but I also see how one can easily use some thing's disadvantage to boost oneself to lofty heights and start enshrining oneself and one's choices. "Oh, oh, I'm so much better because I don't suck on those coffin nails"... pfft. Not much difference from those demonising all tobacco because they're into wellness and 'healthy' living; or from the power plant chimney vapers touting their habit as healthy because 'it's not tobacco'. Ixnay to the pharisaical!

Pipe smoking has taught me that.

I concur on the slowing down that pipe smoking teaches you. When I pipe and drive I slow down my driving; thus, I was saved through my pipe from getting into an accident this winter: because I was going slower I was able to floor the brakes and steer my car away from the oncoming SUV; had I not been piping I'da been going at my usual speed and I woulda hit that guy, as the brakes don't stop a car skidding on ice. Thank God for my pipe.

Posted 4 months ago #
  32. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That I always need one more pipe and one more tin of tobacco.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 4 months ago #
  33. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^
    True dat!

Eine ist keine!

Posted 4 months ago #
  34. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Patience.

Pipestud
    Posted 4 months ago #
  35. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

So true Pipestud! I also reminds me that I don't care what others think...unless they are young, hot, and rich. Ok, I can be shallow for the right price. Do you or your daddy have a private plane? Maybe. Yacht in the Med? Over 4,000 acres of good cattle land?

Posted 4 months ago #
  36. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

warren perhaps you have come to terms with a truth that I still keep in denial. Honestly ... I loved smoking, even when I was a two pack a day fellow. I used to love the gesture, love the nicotine high, and the social environment of smoking cigarettes (until only four years back, we could smoke in bars around here). I may be able to accept the fact that all this European legislation and all the negative social pressure, on top of one godfather passing away from lung cancer and two parents surviving cancer (not lung), have turned me into a hypocrite. A wanderer for sound healthy reasons for being amble to keep on smoking - like I said, I was so into cigarettes that even now when falling back on old habits I am reaching out for the pack of fags. On the other hand, remembering how I felt after a night of 30+ smokes, compared to a day with no cigarettes and just a couple of bowls, I must admit that I feel quite a bite healthier, not as winded, and more oxygenated. If I smoke 10 fags one night, I don't know the next day if I am hung over or just sick from all the smoke I inhaled. Yes .. perhaps tobacco hoarding and pipe acquisition is a selfish mechanism that serves the purpose of making me feel better, but I feel much more satisfaction from smoking a pipe, collecting pipes, and searching for various aroma in tobacco (you call it flavor, here we may be talking about the same thing - my English language skill being limited), than just smoking cigarettes. Again ... remember, in Europe we all have a long history of cigarette smoking, the habit being demonized fairly recently unlike the US. My mother smoked 1 pack a day, my grandfathers both two packs of filter less a day, I myself had my "dark periods, and I am still struggling with stepping away from cigs. For me ... morally if you want, pipe smoking has become far more acceptable both as a health issue and as a "vice".

Posted 4 months ago #
  37. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also, can do a litany of family members who have succumbed via lung cancer. I don't, because there's no point in it. Really, why would anyone, other than kin and, possibly some close family friends, be interested? Same as there being no point in denigrating cigarettes, tobacco companies, etc. to a bunch of smokers. It's always wise to delete, not send, a stream of consciousness. They tend to become screeds as opposed to carefully reasoned missives.

But, back to the original question:

As a person who enjoys tobacco how can we change the narrative and insist on a distinction being made between cigarette smoking and tobacco in general?

We can't, you are looking for a distinction without a real difference. There are also the considerations: How much tobacco would be produced if there were not cigarettes smokers to purchase the vast majority of tobacco products? How many pipe smokers also indulge in cigarettes? How many, "only pipe smokers" started with a "chaw", "dip" or cigarette? And then the reality, tobacco usage is now and for the foreseeable future socially unacceptable. Furthermore, society ain't makin' no damned distinctions!

Posted 4 months ago #
  38. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Furthermore, society ain't makin' no damned distinctions!

Bingo.

Posted 4 months ago #
  39. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

To be more willing to shake it off, whatever it may be. I don't know if pipe smoking taught me this or just facilitates, more than likely the latter, but I'll take it.

Tim
    Posted 4 months ago #
  40. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

warren you seem very emotional on the subject, no point in furthering this discussion on my end, nor presenting dissident opinions.

It's always wise to delete, not send, a stream of consciousness

I am not streaming my consciousness with the group, sorry you took it that way, but at the end of the day I have broken no rules on the forum - that being said what I see "wise" to share with the forum on a topic is up to me to judge, and I would appreciate if you would respect that.

Posted 4 months ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

Cigarettes are far more addictive. An alcoholic would choose vodka over something more flavourful, the same way nicotine addiction is to cigarettes.

Posted 4 months ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

....how do budget my money

Posted 4 months ago #
  43. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipe smoking has taught me that the mason jars are on top of the refrigerator case just above the butter at my favorite grocery store

Posted 4 months ago #
  44. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Why is everyone so concerned with what others may think?
    IMO other people are exactly that. Other people. They do their stuff and I do mine.
    And it is my experience that our perception of what others think of us is most often more based on our own prejudices and worries than what they actually think of us. If indeed they think of us at all.

*Applause*

That is a fantastic post!

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 4 months ago #
  45. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That ship's already sunk.

There are people who smoke high quality cigarettes in moderation...but they are by my perception a small minority of cigarette smokers.

As for changing the narrative, I have to agree that ship's sunk...just as many other narrative ships on other subjects. Because the narratives are controlled by mass media. And due to the unfortunate realities of human nature, everything tends to fall to the lowest common denominator.

And the social engineers have it down to a science.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 4 months ago #
  46. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipe Smoking Has Taught Me...
    How to time delivery dates on pipes and tobacco when the wife ain't home...

"the weez"...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  47. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

How to time delivery dates on pipes and tobacco when the wife ain't home...

Wow! I do the same thing. I’ve got it down to a science. Only been busted once.

Posted 4 months ago #
  48. scottfree

scottfree

Login to Send PM

Pipe smoking has taught me that coffee can be even better than it already is. Pipe smoking has taught me that slowing down your talking in a conversation makes you more thoughtful. And pipe smoking has taught me that things have value even though they might not be permanent. Cheers!

Find what you love, and let it kill you.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  49. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoked my first stolen from a parent cigarette with a neighbor my age (8 yrs.) behind the hill and by the railroad tracks by our houses. He was the thief, and I the sinner. I got dizzy as heck! It was exciting, and I remember the smells of the tobacco, the match, but not so much any of the taste.

In those days everybody smoked. 1956. 'We' smoked on TV, at work, cooks in the kitchen, cops on the beat, clergy, newscasters, crooners, comedians, cowboys, parents, uncles, aunts, you name it.

So, I got to steal smokes from both parents, and got to taste a few different brands by the time I was in what was then called Jr High.
    Filter cigs had become a big marketing thing so of course we ( a bunch of fellow fledgling addicts ) had to try them all.
    Tarreyton with the charcoal filter, Kent with the micronite filter, Parliment with the recessed filter, but I found out early that I like best, the unfiltered ones, like Lucky Strike or Camels. I trended toward Luckies because they didn't make me cough like Camels seemed to.

My Grandfather and an Uncle smoked a pipe, but I didn't see them that often. A friend's father down the street smoked a pipe and HIS grandfather who lived with, but I never really paid attention. (woulda, coulda, shoulda!!!!) I saw them regularly and the old guy really enjoyed his pipe. His son in law, smoked Raleigh unfiltered, saved the coupons, and also had a pipe with pops betimes.

By the time I was in H.S. I was a hard core nicotine addict, an addiction that never left.
    Over the years, I've quit smoking many times, always to return, after a week or two, after a year (several times), after 5 yrs. ( a couple of times), but always, due to stress, I turn to the nicotine for some sort of respite? Salve? Do I feel guilty? Sure.

I did find that I no longer could tolerate manufactured cigarettes from the corner store and smoked Drum ryo which came with the best papers I've ever used.

The pipe has taught me to enjoy the flavor tobacco and the stimulation of its nicotine without inhaling.
    Do I feel guilty? Not as much!

Posted 4 months ago #
  50. maxsmoke

maxsmoke

Login to Send PM

Appreciate you sharing your story newbroom !

Posted 4 months ago #
  51. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That there are people like me out there. The friendships are my most valued lesson from pipe smoking. It took me a long time to find my people and fit in.

Posted 4 months ago #
  52. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

It took me a long time to find my people and fit in.

Amen! I like pipe people for the same reason I like being in the military: it's (by and large) a collection of people with very different backgrounds, but with a similar mindset and a unifying interest. Pipe people manage to be simultaneously more diverse and more similar than the adherents of any other hobby I've had.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 4 months ago #
  53. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing all the stories. I have been on this site and smoking a pipe for about 1 1/2 years. I don't post much, but follow along quite a bit. Pipe Smokinghas taught me to enjoy tobacco without smoking cigarettes - meaning inhaling. I am also an avid cyclist (damn, two expensive hobbies and drummer, oh no 3 expensive hobbies). No disrespect to cigarette smoking I do dig it sometimes. Just not conducive for my lifestyle. ANYWAY, pipe smoking has taught me a new level of enjoying quiet time. I am in sales and constantly talking, juggling projects, designing, handling problems etc... When I get home I have a bowl after dinner and just be. For a type A personality who never used to like "alone time" pipe smoking has given me that needed break.

I also enjoy pipes with my Dad which is really cool. He's a cigar smoker and I never liked cigars much. But, now we can sit and just enjoy some time together when we visit.

Lastly thank you to all the regulars and new people that make this site so fantastic. While I might be a lurker (I think that's correct term, read daily, post rarely) I so enjoy your company and thoughts.

With Gratitude, Jason.

Posted 4 months ago #
  54. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

That some of you old codgers actually know a thing or two about tabacco or more specifically aging and experience. I have founds blends I didn't care for at first get really good with a little age. Maybe my taste change as time goes on,. Maybe I slowed down smoking, maybe I changed, but there are several blends I just didn't like at all a few years ago but was too cheap to throw away so I jared them. Now they are much better! Thank you guys.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   3rdguy, disinformatique, fernafast, tobefrank