PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasongvl

Lurker
Feb 11, 2016
Kent, England
Hi All,
I was wondering what/if anybody has committed any serious/hangable pipe smoking offences?
Mine was when I first started smoking a pipe when I was 19 (aromatics obviously). I has a cheap basket pipe off of a mail order for about £9.00. After smoking it I was scrape off every bit of cake with a kitchen knife and when I couldn't I would wash the pipe out in a dish bowl with dish soap!!!!!!!!!!! I may have even lit the pipe several times over my gas stove too!

Arrrrgh! I know! Hilarious looking back on it though- and I still have the pipe, even though smells of palm-olive and albeit, charred.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
My brother in law smokes out of a plastic pipe with a metal bowl. He loves it. He even modified it with a generic churchwarden stem. He claims its propensity for gurgling helps him by forcing him to smoke slower.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I remember being about12 years old and visiting my aunt & uncle's house. My aunt put his pipes in the dishwasher so she could surprise him with clean pipes when he got home from work. He was surprised alright. He didn't know whether to cry or murder my aunt.

I had my first pipe 6 years later but the lesson was emblazoned in my mind.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What happened to the pipes?? Only the dry cycle would potentially cause real damage. I often use hot water to rinse bowl and stem, best way to remove all ash and soften and crud in the stem to be removed by a pipe cleaner run through. Heresy? Perhaps, but it works for me.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
A confession, after being discharged from the Navy I bummed around the oil field drilling wells. Got a job at Cabot Carbon making carbon black as a relief operator, learned about 8 jobs and did vacation relief. By the way carbon black is the main ingredient in tires. One of was the Thermo Deck, twin round towers that heated up to 2000 degrees alternately had a big cap on it that opened and closed, when it closed Nat gas was pumped in burning and making carbon black. The operations deck was immaculate, and we had to keep it like that. One old Operater smoked the pipe and was filthy with it, layed pipe down dripping with spit, sometimes by your lunch bag. We had an old cat that we fed scraps to. One night I had an open sandwich on a napkin and that old SOB put that nasty pipe by my sandwich and proceeded to the rest room. Cat was on the floor, I picked him up and stuck the pipe stem about 2 inches up his ass, his eyes bulged out and he shot like a cannon away. I then laid it down away from my food. He came back and proceeded to suck on that nasty pipe stem, didn't say anything, only he looked happier, might have been the Tobbaco I don't know. This is my Confession.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
A new blend is born! Instead of "War Horse Plug", it could be "Cats Ass Plug". Nice ring to it don't ya think?... :rofl:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am always respectful of cats. When a toddler, I was partly raised by a young mama cat who thought I was just a large stupid kitten. So I learned cat manners early and have never wavered. As a result, cats of friends who never greet anybody come out and greet me, and if I am a houseguest, cats will come and snooze with me the first night. They know I was properly raised.
I'm probably guilty of not removing stems for cleaning often enough. My idea seems to be, if you have enough pipes, you don't need to do that. But eventually I do, and the pipes don't seem any worse for this neglect. It's sort of the Hippocratic oath -- first do no harm.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Using my shoe sole as a pipe knocker. Even with my high dollar collector pipes. And my one and only Dunhill.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Knew early on how to care for a pipe watching my grandfather take care of his, so I guess my worst offense was buying a Dunhill. :mrgreen:

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
My hanging offense was switching from a pipe to cigars in the late 70's and taking until 2012 to get back to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.