PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Ok, first - MODS please move if this is in the wrong section.
Preface : I’m not asking for medical advise as I know those threads are generally closed - I’ve already spoken with my doctor, just want opinions from people who’ve had surgery.
Ok, so I had Nissen Fundoplication surgery 2 weeks ago. For those that don’t know, it’s a surgery to fix acid reflux where the stomach is wrapped around the esophagus to prevent ANYTHING from coming back up. As far as my surgeon and I can tell I’m actually recovering better than expected.
So I asked the important questions: When can I enjoy my pipes again?
His answer was, “Whenever you feel like you can and they don’t have any adverse effect on your healing.
My question for any of you that had any invasive surgery what is the main reason smoking is usually one of those things you have to stop during recovery? Is it the nicotine that can affect healing or is it something else I’m missing?
Everything on the web concerns cigarettes, and the only thing I could find was Winston Churchill supposedly smoked a celebratory cigar after having a major procedure.
I smoked a pipe earlier tonight (an aromatic with low nicotine) but I’m confused as to what I’m looking for as a sign that it’s “interfering” with my healing.
He didn’t seem too concerned with it but more about pressure from heavy lifting and staying away from carbonated drinks and still got me on soft food diet, which SUUUUUUUCKS.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
See, I knew something was up when I read an article about why nicotine should be avoided after surgery.
To me I thought it wasn’t very accurate but I was just assuming he didn’t want me to cough and what not early on, but now is basically saying smoke up as long as it doesn’t make me feel sick.
I just hate when you ask a specific question and the DR just says, “Whenever you feel like you can.” I mean, smoking is pretty easy and I’m sure I would’ve as soon as I got home if he hadn’t told me not to.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
His answer was, “Whenever you feel like you can and they don’t have any adverse effect on your healing.
To me this answer sounds like it was said more for liability reasons than due to any specific concern.
There are many aspects to healing beyond the pharmacology of the chemicals taken. The pipe could greatly accelerate the healing process depending on how it is used. It could calm you down, reduce tension, and chase away annoying bystanders. It could lead to social interaction and support on a pipe forum. Smoking may help you feel satisfied, after eating your otherwise unsatisfying foods. This could lead to better compliance with your diet and therefore better recovery.
Perhaps you should pay more attention to the first part of his prescription "Whenever you feel like you can."

and ignore the disclaimer.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I’m not a physician, but they that seems like a very puzzling response from him.

If it were me, I’d drill in the with more questions to him - rather than ask on a forum.

I’d get him on the phone if need be.

All the best to you !

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
@5Star I agree and I did but he was essentially like “If you’re feeling better here is WHAT NOT TO DO and the rest was a grey area where if I feel like I can then start slow and if it doesn’t upset your stomach or cause discomfort continue as I see fit.”
As another poster said above, these answers are for liability reasons because if he said you could do something after 2 weeks and you do and it causes a rupture or severe trauma then he would be liable.
I have 100% faith in my surgeon as the surgery I’ve had done is the only surgery he has done since he began practicing. No one has anything negative to say about him and judging by other people online I am doing a lot better than most.
My main question was for what reason should one hold off on enjoying a pipe seeing as I don’t inhale, I’m not a chain smoker, I feel more normal everyday, and the only reason I’ve ever had a doctor tell me not to smoke was for the reason any of them do - “cause it’ll kill ya”
Based on my research there have been articles that state smoking and nicotine inhibits healing but I don’t see how that can be the case in this surgery as it’s my stomach and was done from the outside of the stomach - not inside (as in it wasn’t cut open).
Im just curious because I have never had any major surgery and was happy to hear I could enjoy one of my favorite hobbies but was just at a loss of any negative effects pipe smoking would have on healing or wound recovery.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think maybe you do ingest the byproducts of smoking even if you don't inhale.

The nicotine and tars will be swallowed along with whatever beverage you're having.

I think this could adversely effect the digestive system, but, I am not sure if it does or not.

My own digestive system has tolerated pipe smoking, but although I suffer a disorder, acid reflux is not one of my problems, so far.

Relaxation helps digestion, it is said.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Not to worry, your Doc was just suggesting pay attention to your body and apply a little common sense.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Because waiting til I’m 100% is around 6-8 months with this surgery - I’ll take my chances :wink:

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Nicotine relaxes the esophagus and stomach muscles, aggravating acid reflux. But given the nature of your surgery, you might not have to worry about that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
warren has it about right. I think the doc just doesn't want to be advising anyone to smoke per se, so that's his way of skirting the issue, and maybe she/he is wise not to get into a smoking discussion just now. I've heard that smoking restricts the smallest blood vessels, the capillaries, and slows healing, along the lines of what warren said with brevity.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Smoking helps healing by relaxing the patient and making them want to live again. Every patient should smoke, and every doctor should drink. I don't trust these ahedonic robots.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Thanks for the responses and well wishes.
I did mean to mention that I’m pretty much done with Sodas because of the carbonation. Can’t have that with this type of procedure but Whiskey is just fine.
There are a lot of things I’ve been told to completely avoid entirely or for quite some time but was happy my pipe would at least be coming back on days when I feel like I can enjoy it.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
It depends on how tense the patient is. If they are really tightly wound, smoking a pipe may reduce stress more than it retards healing through the lessening of oxygen.
The harm of stress cannot be underestimated in healthy people, let alone those trying to heal. Stress can make healthy people physically ill, so in some cases I can see it being a wash in the healing dept...
In moderation, of course.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I smoked my pipe 3 days after a pretty major sinus surgery... I wouldn’t recommend it. All in all it took a good month before I could enjoy smoking again. As long as you’re enjoying it, have at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.