Pipes Magazine » Tobacco Legislation

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pipe Smoking Discrimination

(28 posts)
  1. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, so this JUST happened. Not really a legal issue, but defiantly falls under the title of "insanity pipe smokers have to deal with"

I am a long time Star Wars fan, and also a fan of video games....and for those of you who aren't, you need to simply grasp the idea that there is a large online based Star Wars game to be released at the end of the year, which is now about 4 years in the making called Star Wars: The Old Republic. This upcoming weekend I have been invited to test the game (Very Happily!) and in the meantime have gained access to the testing forums. While there I found a thread called "What food will you be eating while testing" which had a hefty 7 pages of people babbling off the nasty, fatty, greasy unhealthy foods they would be over stuffing their faces with while playing the game. I commented that I liked Yogurt. MORE IMPORTANTLY, this got me thinking and I began a thread of my own called "Any TOBACCO pipe smokers testing?" in which I asked what blends people would smoke while testing and what pipes they would be smoking from, after detailing my plans (GL Pease, JKP in a half bent Rattrays)....

I got 5 Replies. 1 "This has nothing to do with testing" 2 "This is a forum for testing, not killing yourself with cancer" 3 "This feels like a loaded thread....Tobacco. Interesting" 4 ----a long reply from another friendly smoker detailing his plans------ 5 ----An ADMINISTRATOR commenting that these threads are for general testing discussion only and that this topic is to be closed for being off topic -----

I DIDN'T EVEN GET A SINGLE PAGE, WHILE FATTY FOODS NOW HAVE 13 PAGES!!!

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. seanz

seanz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

state of the world i am sad to say pathetic isnt it

New Zealand
    Peter Piper.
    Give me the weed, the fragrant weed, My wearied brain to calm; In a wreath of smoke, while I crack my joke, I'll find a healing balm.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. kamikazesasquatch

kamikazesasquatch

Login to Send PM

First off, from a fellow gamer and SW fan (aka geek and or nerd) congrats on getting on the beta team for that. I've been reading on that game for years now and I know there are 1000s of people who'd love to be in your shoes. I can't do MMORPGs because, well, I'll never stop playing but I'm definitely looking forward to Skyrim (hooray for single player versions of those games 2nd, you might remind those who are giving you the cancer talk that obesity probably contributes to many more health issues and deaths than tobacco every has/will. Sorry, not really on subject. I guess these stone throwers should make sure they aren't in glass houses first.

No, my name is spelled 'Luxury Yacht' but it's actually pronounced 'Throatwobbler Mangrove'.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You're a lucky fellow alright. The house rules here at home prevent me from smoking and gaming, since we can't smoke in the house. I wonder how that test group would feel about beer?

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haha, Yea I know all the retorts appropriate for these smoking and health conversations but after having that conversation about 100 times in college, I FINALLY got myself to just stop as people will forever be too dumb to grasp what you mean. Cigarettes don't use the same stuff as pipes? WHA--?!?! You mean you smoked a pipe before and you're not a walking zombie of cancerous death forever doomed to hell...but that doesn't make sense, I was taught in school that all tobacco was pure evil.....

Anyway - they also talked a ton about beer in MANY different of the game testers forums. It's seems normal for any discussion to turn to a reason for someone to post what they plan on drinking for the weekend. Which I'm ok w/ as I plan on having a healthy amount of scotch this weekend, but i do understand the hypocrisy....but again, they never will.

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

thats bullshit. you asking if there are any pipe smokers if off topic, but they can ask what people will be eating. congratulations on becoming a tester though

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. logandow

logandow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ Kamikaze SKYRIM!!!!!!!!!

@undecagon Lucky. I wish I could test it

A man without a pipe is a man unprepared
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. cyndi

cyndi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So what are you planning on smoking?

Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back! Wife or no, you are no one's property to be tossed aside. You got the right same as anyone to live and try to kill people.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll likely make it threw the rest of my GL Pease Jack Knife Plug. I also have a meridian open, and those two will last the weekend for sure. I'm having a lot of difficulty deciding what to open up next. I think I need to make my way into Chicago and visit Iwan Ries and pick up some more, the tins in my tobacco cabinet seem happy there so I want to let them stay for a while

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

That's certainly a bunch of BS. Just about every forum I have ever been on as almsot always had soem sort of general discussion for threads that were off topic.

Posted 7 years ago #
  11. cyndi

cyndi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey, any excuse to visit the tobacconist is a good excuse!

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ask them what weed they smoke and I bet you would get a bunch of happy gamers responding. Back when I use to do some on line games that is all the chats were about it seemed. I understand the way you feel. My fishing buddy is a huge pot head and last time we were out on my boat I light up my briar and he said," WTF are you smoking?" I handed him the tobacco tin I was carrying and said smell this. He said "wow it smells good even when your smoking it but dude tobacco?"

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  13. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

4 ----a long reply from another friendly smoker detailing his plans------

And a new gaming friendship is formed...

I wish I had a shot at KOTOR Online; but alas, between my toddler and my other hobbies I had to give up MMO's, they just eat too much of my time. That game had me itching since I first heard the rumour mill running; but unlike most games that get me excited early, this one is going to release (unlike Gods and Heros: Rome Rising, boo).

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. punkpiper

punkpiper

Login to Send PM

Such a shame. A smaller man would have run crying to the moderators, but thankfully we're made of sterner stuff. Still, lucky you get to play. And if they wont let you talk about the hobby of the Ubermensch, then we sure will.

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Luckily you have this forum to turn to for intelligent discussion of adult topics, undecagon. Suffice it to say, they'll never know or deserve what they're missing.
    Any chance you can send me a KOTOR invite??

Posted 7 years ago #
  16. cyndi

cyndi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I attempted an experiment on AskReddit on the question "what is one single thing you did that impacted your life the most?" Reddit is very geeky, liberal, and weed friendly. I posted about smoking a pipe and guess what? Down votes! I'm just telling the people on the pipe Reddit to come over here. We're moar betterer.

Posted 7 years ago #
  17. cyndi

cyndi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

17 mins since posting this and I'm back in the positive with upboats. Will the PM redditors please stand up?

Posted 7 years ago #
  18. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I frequent reddit, but I'm a lurker, not a member.

In a society that has destroyed all adventure, the only adventure left is to destroy that society.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    Posted 7 years ago #
  19. docrx

docrx

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very sad commentary.

It is impossible to tickle yourself
    Posted 7 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

ferris

Login to Send PM

I think part of the charm of pipe smoking is it's small underground following. Back in the day my tattoo was a sign of rebellion, now that it is so mainstream I am almost embarrassed by it.

Posted 7 years ago #
  21. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yea - Pipe Smoking community is a great one. And unfortunately for those asking, BioWare is super strict about everything on testing, so I can not hand out any SW:TOR invites :/

However if all you interested in the game end up playing we should meet up - the rest of my buddies who play are all pipe smokers. If only they would make pipes items that you could equip in your head slot instead of a helmet!!!

Posted 7 years ago #
  22. chestercopperpot

chestercopperpot

Login to Send PM

Well, I attempted an experiment on AskReddit on the question "what is one single thing you did that impacted your life the most?" Reddit is very geeky, liberal, and weed friendly. I posted about smoking a pipe and guess what? Down votes! I'm just telling the people on the pipe Reddit to come over here. We're moar betterer.

I've seen that, as well. I went to /pipes to see if there were any pipe discussions, but of course there were only weed pipes. One guy tried to start a toby pipe thread but it never really went anywhere.

Posted 7 years ago #
  23. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BTW, just wanted to inform those curious. Testing is going great. Not really sure how much I'm allowed to say, because BioWare has pop up reminders all the time during testing about not sharing, but suffice to say I am playing a Twilek Jedi Knight and have followed the class story, and many world quests to the point where I am lvl 13 now. It has all been great. Solo and Group is fun, but I've experienced mostly solo work. I have also played Huttball and the Alderaan Warzone and enjoyed both. Everything seems very well done and needs only polishing detail. I would definitely recommend this game to anyone interesting in Star Wars or MMORPGS, and for sure anyone whose into both!

Posted 7 years ago #
  24. chestercopperpot

chestercopperpot

Login to Send PM

Incidentally, I found a reddit pipe forum: http://www.reddit.com/r/PipeTobacco. It's pretty amateurish, though, considering the age of most people on reddit.

Posted 7 years ago #
  25. dburrows

Chris

Login to Send PM

Maybe you'd find more pipe smokers on Lord of the Rings Online, and if you're a farmer you can grow your own pipe-weed.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. -- C. S. Lewis, Theologian, Philosopher, Professor, Pipe smoker.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  26. seakayak

seakayak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The real world invades even the corridors of computer gaming. As your years as a pipe smoker continue, you will experience more biased research, more ungrounded comments and more downright stupidity than you ever thought possible. A professor of nursing from the local community college recently offered me a private teaching on "third hand smoke". That's right, the "latest research" is now pushing the theory that, if a non-smoker touches someone who smokes, that non-smoker will become lethal to young children and the elderly due to "residual carcinogens" that now stick to their clothing and hands.

Posted 7 years ago #
  27. cyndi

cyndi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

r/pipetobacco is where I normally go and it is almost embarrassing of the level of newb over there. Some jerk was telling people to clean meers with salt & alcohol. The ones that have promise I normally send this way since I'm one of those "elusive girls."

Posted 7 years ago #
  28. dburrows

Chris

Login to Send PM

that non-smoker will become lethal to young children and the elderly due to "residual carcinogens" that now stick to their clothing and hands.

Nice. These people usually talk about that kind of stuff in the midst of stuffing their faces with genetically engineered processed dead food while taking pharmaceuticals for whatever ails them.

Outdoor grilling releases carcinogens. I wonder what happens with that 3rd-hand smoke.

Posted 7 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   anthonyrosenthal74, redglow, donjgiles, grilledokra, ashdigger, railman, alaskanpiper