PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I know this is not that big of deal, but my wife has been suffering with a little flare up of diverticulitis, so she's been camping in front of the TV quite a bit. She was watching some old game shows on the Game Show Network, and Match Game came on. A real blast from the past, probably early 1970s. I was sort of watching it when I noticed that one of the panel guests, Charles Nelson Reilly was actually smoking a pipe! We checked out a few more of the shows, and quite often he was smoking a pipe while participating on the show. I can't remember what else Mr. Reilly was in, but it was fun seeing him in action here. I guess it's been so long that we've seen pipe smoking on a TV program that it was a little unbelievable. Nowadays any use of tobacco on the TV seems so shocking that we forget how common it used to be. I know cigarettes were a fairly common sight, and sometimes cigars, but pipes on TV always seemed to be seen before the advent of color TV programs. But I'm probably wrong about that idea.
Anyway it was fun to see, although I could never tell what kind of pipe he was smoking.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I remember Reilly smoking a pipe on Match Game. I also remember William Conrad doing that on Hollywood Squares, though I saw Conrad smoke a cigar, too.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Seems like I remember reading in one of Richard Hacker's pipe books from the 1980s, that William Conrad was a collector of Charatan pipes too. Would have been an interesting collection to see.
William Conrad had a superb collection of Charatan pipes. After he passed away, his collection was sold to Gus' Smoke Shop in Sherman Oaks. I picked up two of them, still have them, and still smoke them. Great pipes with beautiful grain, and so-so stems. Charatan put their love into the briar, less so in the stems.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It is always a shock to see the casual use of tobacco on older tv and movie clips, but especially the tv.
The part I relate to in this thread is the diverticulitis. That is serious business. I've had my losis flare into litis a few times and once was hospitalized ( I drove in in the nick of time ) with a life threatening bout that had perforated. Months later, the dreaded colonoscopy revealed no place to resect should another event occur, so I watch my diet, sleep hours, exercise.
Most adults will have diverticuli. Not everyone experiences infections. Genetics, stress and diet are culprits..

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
My favorite William Conrad role is not Cannon but rather as the narrator's voice on the Rocky & Bullwinkle Show.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
As a honors graduate of Whatsamatta U. I am charged to help keep the R&B dream alive.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That's an intersting little tidbit. I always liked him. I don't know what TV shows he was involved with except that he played the cowardly real estate agent in the TV version of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. He was quite good in that role.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
When I was young Charles Nelson Reilly starred in an early-70s psychedelic children's show called Lidsville; the plot had something to do with an island of living hats and an evil magician (played by Reilly).
Lidsville%2520It%2527s%2520So%2520Much%2520Fun%2520Being%2520Rotten%2520Charles%2520Nelson%2520Reilly.jpg

Lidsville%2520Charles%2520Nelson%2520Reilly%252006.JPG

Lidsville%2520Charles%2520Nelson%2520Reilly%2520and%2520Evil%2520Hats%252001.JPG

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
Conrad was all over the radio. He was not the first choice for gunsmoke because he was to recognizable. He was actually the last minute replacement,if you can believe that.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Ahhhhhh, the good old days . . . I truly miss them.
Tell your wife that they make gummy bear fibre chews. My wife has 2 every day - no problems.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Oh, my wife has discovered the gummy bears fiber! She's into all kinds of fiber, but sometimes she doesn't watch her diet as she should, and she gets a little infection. This time I think she realized how serious this is, and will take it more seriously from now on. I think she got scared straight!

Anyone know of a high fiber tobacco? :roll:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
OK, I'm totally lost here and I obviously missed something. Just how did we get from Charles Nelson Reilly smoking a pipe to gummy bears and fiber intake?

Status
Not open for further replies.