Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pipe smoking changing the voice?

(29 posts)
  1. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

It is known that cigarette smoking changes the voice (with the late Leonard Cohen being the greatest example), but what about pipe smoking?

What are your experiences?

Since I started smoking pipes (inhaling), in a short period of time (3 months) my voice became even more different than with just cigarette smoking. It made a difference on my singing.

I'd like to know experiences of those who don't inhale though, since I'm stopping inhaling to enjoy the nuances of flavour more.

Posted 6 months ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not only has pipe smoking changed my voice, but my balls dropped and I have hair on my chest.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 6 months ago #
  3. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

I'm not fooling around, I sing and inhaling pipe smoke for a short period of time really changed my voice (a couple of semitones down). Of course smoking cigarettes for 5 years made a more lasting impact, but considering the short term, pipe smoking was scarier.

Posted 6 months ago #
  4. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I didn't get nominated for a grammy until I started smoking a pipe.

Posted 6 months ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know a damned thing about music, but opera stars seem to enjoy smoking pipes to keep their voices from changing or getting stressed, but if you're inhaling it, you might as well be gargling with gasoline. Unfiltered pipe smoke compared to cigarette smoke is napalm compared to a charcoal grill.

Michael
    Posted 6 months ago #
  6. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not only has pipe smoking changed my voice, but my balls dropped and I have hair on my chest.

LMAO

Posted 6 months ago #
  7. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

Unfiltered pipe smoke compared to cigarette smoke is napalm compared to a charcoal grill.

Yes, I've heard it's 20x the nicotine content or something around these lines.

I stopped inhaling a couple of days ago due to a sore throat and the flavors got way better.

Posted 6 months ago #
  8. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

Well, if Pavarotti smoked a pipe (and probably didn't inhale) I supposed the voice can remain pristine if you don't draw into your throat/lungs.

Posted 6 months ago #
  9. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Ashdigger, I'll take your word for it. LOL!

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 6 months ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Basic to pipe smoking, don't inhale. If you must process the smoke further, look into retrohaling, but I don't recommend it either. I don't know how much voice training you've had, and I haven't had any and am only a church pew and beer drinking singer. But voices are individual and some are hugely sensitive. About Leonard Cohen, one of my favorite singer-songwriters, it's difficult to say if his voice was more affected by smoking or age. He extended his career far into his elderly years, much more than most professional singers, and age will change your voice if you don't smoke at all. Anyway, if you are getting a deepening and/or roughening of your voice from smoking, and you value your singing, I'd greatly limit your smoking, and seriously consider quitting. Sometimes you have to make touch choices. Nonetheless, keep that nice Stanwell in case you decide to smoke, even just on special occasions. It's a handsome pipe and a nice possession. At least you don't have racks of pipes yet.

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I sound just like Barry White.

Posted 6 months ago #
  12. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Actions have consequences. You knowingly put poisons in your system, you willingly take the risk. If you are going to obsess on the possible ramifications of smoking I'd suggest you won't get a lot of satisfaction from the pipe. Smokers should embrace the self-indulgence of the "hobby" and be prepared to live (die?) with the possible consequences. Such consequences certainly won't or, shouldn't, come as a surprise. Just relax and enjoy the pipe!

The nicotine isn't the major problem. The carcinogens from the incinerated tobacco are. Two distinctly different items. The carcinogens are absorbed into you system through tissues in you mouth and nose as well as the lungs. Smoking is in and of itself risky behavior. If you are a smoker, you are a risk taker.

Pavorotti's voice, even before the cancer (pancreatic), was far from pristine as he aged. Listen to early recordings and compare them to some later ones. Crooners may be able to go on "forever", singers who constantly stress the muscles? They simply change styles and/or fade away. Or, appear on PBS "begging for dollars" shows.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  13. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

mso489, Actually it doesn't affect the kind of music that I sing negatively, it was more of a curiosity.

"Scary" wasn't necessarily an abhorrent thing. So I won't have to quit for those reasons, thank God!

warren, I'm more of a crooner so I don't worry, just wanted to see how the pipe smoking affected you guys.

Interesting stuff about the differences between styles, that's perfectly true.

Indeed it's a risky habit, but well... Living it's a risk isn't it?

Posted 6 months ago #
  14. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 for Warren, I'd guess I we were meeting each others in Alaska?We'd make good frieds,and in pretty short order I presume,Lol Best Greets Sir,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 6 months ago #
  15. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Machado:Well, I've been smoking all of my life starting at age of 13 no days off, and today when I almost exclusively do smoke pipes I try to avoid inhaling,I'm noticing inhaling a pipe smoke may start to become a bad habit very easy especially to those individuals who formerly did smoke cigarettes and cigarillos as was the case with undersigned.

Posted 6 months ago #
  16. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My vocal range has suffered greatly over the last few years. I used to be able to sing great, but recently my voice cracks and even goes out on higher notes. However, I'm not 100% certain it's from smoking. I gave up cigarettes three years ago, and do not inhale with my pipes ( Note: I do vape to stay off the cigarettes when I'm out and about and inhale). The thing is, just like a guitar, the vocal chords are an instrument, that must be tuned, trained, and played often to keep it in check.

When you put brand new strings on a guitar, you have to tune it to key. And then you pull up on those strings stretching them out, and then tune them again, and stretch, and tune again.... until they'll stay in tune. The voice is the same way. A professional vocalist will do the same thing, sort of, with their voice. There are exercises you can do to keep your voice in good shape. If done in public people will avoid you, thinking you're a crazy person... but your voice will thank you. But seriously, if you value your singing, it should be done before singing, and should be done regularly (in your car, at home, someplace people won't call the police thinking your dangerous). I'm sure you can find some great and hilarious examples on Youtube.

All that being said, I don't sing often anymore at all, and can't remember the last time I actually did any vocal exercises or warm ups, and I'm willing to bet that has taken a larger toll on my voice than smoking. But also, it should be noted that smoke does indeed irritate the throat and the vocal chords especially if you inhale.

Something like this may help also.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 6 months ago #
  17. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm more of a crooner so I don't worry, just wanted to see how the pipe smoking affected you guys.

You might want to try smoking this stuff:

Cornell & Diehl - Crooner

Although I must advise some caution due to the following observation by Jim Inks:

I'm highly suspicious that Bing smoked this

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/273/cornell-diehl-crooner

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 6 months ago #
  18. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

I'm noticing inhaling a pipe smoke may start to become a bad habit very easy especially to those individuals who formerly did smoke cigarettes and cigarillos as was the case with undersigned.

Glad to know I'm not alone on this one. Being a former cigarette addict makes it a temptation to inhale.

But on the other hand the great flavor of non-inhaled pipe smoke makes it a great deal not to inhale too.

Posted 6 months ago #
  19. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

@anthonyrosenthal: In my case, I'm pretty sure it's due to smoking... In the last 6 years my voice has deepened absurdly. I barely use my high range so I don't really worry about it, I'm lucky about that stylistic choice.

@brian64: The name seemed interesting, but when I looked at the ingredients...

Posted 6 months ago #
  20. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good to know, Tim; congrats!!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  21. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Warren wins. Excellent comments. I have nothing further to add.

Neal
    Posted 6 months ago #
  22. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jimmy Cliff quit smoking other stuff and drinking alcohol when it started to affect his range and clarity. Me, I like catching folks off guard with a scary voice and don't make money singing.

Posted 6 months ago #
  23. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't say that my voice has changed much in the few years I've enjoyed a pipe. I smoke very infrequently though, like 2 or 3 times a month. That said if my voice were to change no one would notice, as no one listens to me anyway.

Posted 6 months ago #
  24. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the picture of Pavarotti, notice his pipe has no cake

Posted 6 months ago #
  25. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I've sung every week for about 20 years. The only thing that's affected me is age. Pipe and cigar smoking hasn't done anything to my voice.
    @ash that was hilarious

Posted 6 months ago #
  26. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just an aside. I think that most of us sound a lot better to ourselves than we do to others. It is also surprising that some people with mediocre speaking voices, or even somewhat annoying or unpleasant ones, sometimes break into song like angels. Go figure. I like "taking voice lessons" in my head while singing hymns at church, discovering the effects of breathing and how some adjustment in throat muscles can make singing effortless instead of grating. I've been recruited for singing only once, but it was an outdoor event and they needed a bass voice or too, which is roughly where I land. But church choirs and other singing groups recognize my talents, or lack thereof, and I am not bothered with requests to join. There was a guy in boot camp, a kid from New Orleans, who claimed to sing professionally in clubs. He couldn't hold a note nor stay on pitch, nor get on pitch. He always sounded like a drunk in the shower. But he did have confidence, and fortunately, didn't have time in boot camp to sing too much.

Posted 6 months ago #
  27. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I spent the first 25-years of my professional life as a radio and television sports broadcaster. I was a pipe smoker all through that period. I never sang on the air (or off for that matter as I can't sing a lick), but everybody except my lovely wife thinks I still talk pretty good. (-:

Pipestud
    Posted 6 months ago #
  28. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have smoked for almost 40 years. Since my accent is extremely British I have been told by many that I sound like the late Charles Grey, that said residual family say I sound exactly the same. I think at lot of these outcomes are down to how much you smoke, do you inhale and genetic predisposition to larynx issues. Tell us about the things you like to smoke and were you go to smoke your pipe. Lets have something new to dwell upon chum!

Posted 6 months ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

piper64

Login to Send PM

To be fair Sean pav probably ate the cake

Faugh a Ballagh
    Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tfdickson, danimalia, aldecaker, jravenwood, jpmcwjr, hoppes, vangoghpipe