PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesmoker99

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
I am new and here is my pipe! I admit I was stupid and impatient. Don’t judge ☺ so I tried to smoke bay leaves. It would not light so I put the pipe upside down over a candle I burned part of the rim.
Will the pipe still be okay to use?
How long can I use it?
It’s a really nice pipe if you want more pictures ☺
IF you see on the rim there are some burns near the rim.
Later, I got tobacco( I microwaved it to dry it out) and smoked it fast and got smoke everywhere. I liked it and the tobacco burned with glowing embers, was that bad for the pipe? My smoke lasted about 20 min?
But I enjoyed it though!
Thanks for your time.
is this an ok way to store the pipe?
https://ibb.co/jce8wG

https://ibb.co/g9PQbG

https://ibb.co/ja0TDw
Title capitalization fixed...rule 9 Zack

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Man, that's a CHARATAN pipe!!! Please, do yourself (and all of us) a huge favor and DON'T smoke it any longer until you learn how to smoke a pipe! Get yourself a corn cob pipe ($6-$15) or an old basket pipe from a local shop. Pick up some actual PIPE tobacco like Carter Hall or some Captain Black from a drug store, and please... PLEASE don't burn it with a candle!!! I would be happy to buy that pipe from you except you don't have enough posts to sell here. I don't mean to sound rude or elitist, I just don't want to see a nice pipe ruined. I believe, if you stick with it, you'll thank me someday for saying this. Ask around, there is a ton of knowledge here. If you need any help, please feel free to ask questions. Welcome, and happy smoking!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
See Cosmic? Hes got a good point, corn cobs are great, and Carter Hall is ACTUAL TOBACCO!
Yes no more candles please. Bics are cheap, and gentle.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
p3.jpg

p2.jpg

p1.jpg

Welcome to the forum....
Dve7UxD8.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Really? You have a valuable pipe for your first smokes?
Interesting story. If you're not having us on, do learn to smoke on a cheaper pipe!
With clearer pictures of the rim, we may be able to guide you in removing the soot. (Or even light charring.)

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Bay is just the entry leaf, tomorrow sage, next week oregano. Someone needs to think of the children.....

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
:lol: Yes, Bay leaf is a notorious gateway herb. No tellin' where you'll go from there.
BTW, burning Bay leaves in a room produces smoke that, like incense, is believed to induce serenity and a sense of well-being. It's probably OK to do that, but not in a Charatan.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I thought someone was pulling my leg, but it was just my dog Dolce gnawing on my ankle letting me know it's time to take her for a walk to take care of business....With her, there's never any doubt- I know I'll end up with a pile of crap...which when dried, mixed with Latakia and Mixture 79 has a spicy taste, a room note that smells really bad, and a tongue bite that makes ya wanna growl...

pipesmoker99

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
sh#$# I think I f ed it up! I see cracks in the bowl how do I fix it. I smoked it in 20 min and the tobacco burned to ash.
https://ibb.co/nzzrYw

Jan 8, 2013
sh#$# I think I f ed it up! I see cracks in the bowl how do I fix it. I smoked it in 20 min and the tobacco burned to ash.
I'm willing to bet that's just cracks in the cake buildup. But it could be because you were smoking too fast and too hot. I would suggest smoking slow, and as others have said, get a couple cobs. Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes are cheap and you can order directly from their website. Once you've had more practice with those, return to the briar pipe.

pipesmoker99

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
i'll do a little on this pipe but right now I am making a bamboo pipe should I use that to practice I'll be done tonight if you want to see :)

Status
Not open for further replies.