PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
The other day I loaded my Rattray Celtic 14 to the rim with Cumberland. I hadn’t smoked a fully loaded bowl in it yet - it’s a 0.8” x 1.8” bowl. Easy 2 hour plus smoke.
So I sat down with a full pot of coffee early in the morning and fired up. I puffed - reflected, thought how good the pipe was. How excellent the Cumberland was. And I pondered many things, not the least of which was what I get out of smoking a pipe in the first place.
Somewhere around the 2 hour mark, hungry, skipped breakfast, lots of coffee, it occurred to me that maybe I was learning something. Having thought I was immune to nicotine - having a super hearty tolerance for it, I came to a few conclusions.
I am not immune to nicotine. I would not smoke a huge bowl without food again. I would not drink a whole pot of coffee on an empty stomach again. I would go lie down until I was sure there was nothing more to gain from the experience. Smarter today for that bowl I'd say.

fafnir

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
Pipe smoking makes me smarter by putting something in my mouth which hinders talking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I refused to smoke a pipe in college because I thought I'd look like I was imitating some of the professors. I had a Hav'a'Tampa small cigar now and then, the ones with the little wooden mouthpieces. When I'm actually interacting with people in intense conversation, I avoid smoking, find it a distraction. Smoking a pipe does make me "mind trip" more, that is think in imaginative and speculative ways. Does it improve the quality of thought? I'd say that's unlikely. We're born with some degree of intellectual ability, and after that, it's how much we discipline and strengthen that innate ability, and how successfully we use it. "Brilliant" people are usually those who have found a way to use and apply their intellect. Others who have immense and various mental talents never do much with any of it. Some of the most intelligent people I know are not the most accomplished.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
The only two people I know that smoke pipes from my childhood were a really talented mathematics professor and my father (occasionally) and both are thoroughly smart

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Doesn't make me any smarter. The proof is, my wife tells me all the time what an idiot I am.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
since I was a young boy, I had seen the pipe as a tool only smoked by wise men, from gandalf, Mark Twain, Albert Einstein, Sigmund Freud, ect. so yes I do feel a bit smarter when I do smoke my pipe, it is more of a inspirational tool or my muse when I am writing a poem or playing my guitar.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
IndianaFrank..understand.

When I was selling cars & trucks in the 80's & when I was up, I hated to see the person I was to assist with a Pipe, legal pad & calculator.

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
When the pipe is in my mouth, I usually don't talk. Not speaking causes me to reflect on my day and has led to some problem solving thinking once I have calmed enough to take the emotion out of the situation. I doesn't make me smarter, but it does let my limited intelligence get used in a calmer method.

Status
Not open for further replies.