PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
There is no right way to smoke a pipe, but there are some ways that work better than others, qualitatively.
Cosmic writes:
I just let the smoke lazily drizzle into my mouth slowly and naturally leave my mouth as I breathe. The idea is to keep the smoke in my mouth long enough to soak up as much of its nicotine goodness as possible, and not just blow money and nicotine into the air. I smoke on the verge of it going out, not like cigarette puffs, but just a constant slow flow.
The classic video on this is "Breath Smoking Technique" by Alan Kerslake.
It took me several years to get to this point, because first I had to quasi-master loading the pipe and lighting it, but once I got it, a new realm of enjoyment opened for me. It is worth pursuing this as your goal even as a new pipesmoker, because you will probably attain it faster than I did, and then you can decide whether it is the best method for you.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Deathmetal, after severl attempts trying this smoking method,I have come to conclusion its rather difficult to get accustomed to it,perhaps this breath techinique works best with half bent/ full bets pipes , not sure though,

as for Mr A Kersake,I've got informed that hes has passed away some year or two ago, not sure if this corresponds the truth,

Greets, Paul

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
The breath method is my primary technique. Pipe smoking has a definite meditative quality to it and the breath method really helps facilitate this. Half bent and full bent pipes have made a world of difference for me.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
Paulie66,
Yes, Alan has now departed this life. His son(I think) was selling his pipes on e-bay a little while ago, there may still be some available.
As to breath smoking - it's the only way I smoke and have done so for years although the rhythm can get a little to fast when lunting.

Hey cool, I was mentioned...

I think that at first it is going to feel awkward, but it's like learning to drive a stick shift. At first you will grind a few gears, and you have to think about what you are doing. You have to consciously think about every detail. Clutch, shift, gas, let off clutch, relax, repeat. But, like driving, soon you'll be shifting smoother, and then soon you don't even have to think. Then, you'll be driving home without once thinking about what your doing. Now, for me I prefer to smoke this way, hands free, and it works best when I am distracted, as in working at the bench, reading, walking, or whittling. It becomes more difficult when I am engaged in conversation, but I tend not to talk much when smoking. YMMV
Drool, comes up in conversation about this sometimes. I think drool happens when concentrating on the pipe or worry about it. If you no longer even think, then it doesn't become as much of a problem. When in syncs, the pipe becomes a part, an extension of yourself. This is why a well made stem, button combo makes for a much more pleasant clenched for me.
Good luck, and happy smoke. :puffy:

poppabear

Lurker
Aug 6, 2017
Drool, comes up in conversation about this sometimes. I think drool happens when concentrating on the pipe or worry about it. If you no longer even think, then it doesn't become as much of a problem. When in syncs, the pipe becomes a part, an extension of yourself. This is why a well made stem, button combo makes for a much more pleasant clenched for me.
Some people are just moist smokers...cant help the drool. But I am so damn happy that this came up in the forum. I sat down and had a smoke with the old man and it was like i was sitting there with him. I need an old coot in my life to help me out with pipe knowledge. This was a big help and i must say that I really enjoyed my aros with this method of smoking for a much longer period of time. Usually they get steamy and gross toward the end of the bowl and I just quit because its not enjoyable anymore. But i got to the bottom of a bowl and couldn't be happier! Best experience yet. Even tried it with a Balkin blend this morning in a nice big bowl and worked out splendidly.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Are some folks actually drooling saliva down the pipe stem? That would explain a lot in those cases, but don't you have to work at it to do so ?

Status
Not open for further replies.