PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I usually have a bowl of some sort of tobacco 3-4 times a week after dinner. I've noticed my sleep is either affected by this or some other influence. Anyone else have sleep issues after smoking? Sometimes its just being restless or waking at 1:30am and not really sleeping from then on.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
I've never really connected the dots between smoking and sleeping issues. I have nights, like most people I am sure, that I have difficulty sleeping. I am going to start paying attention to my smoking habits on those particular evenings.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Nicotine, in low doses, is a stimulant.
This is true. I don't smoke high nicotine blends before bed and I haven't had any trouble sleeping. Maybe try a different blend with less nicotine?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Nicotine at night is a good stimulant if you have work or study to do - much milder and less potent than coffee, so you can usually get to sleep again after.
If you're having difficulty, though, I wouldn't smoke anything at all in the evening. I personally find that a pipe after supper when I am full and relaxed is quite beneficial. The nicotine has much less effect under those circumstances than a pipe on an empty stomach 11 PM, say...
I never did get the "Nightcap" effect because at the rate I smoke, nicotine perks me up so a strong blend before bed would not be helpful whatsoever. An alcoholic nightcap always helps, though!

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Huh. I sometimes have a bowl after getting home from work at 2 am... Guess I should stop that.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
ray,
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You and voorhees have completely different constitutions, nicotine tolerances, and sleep cycles for one.
If you start having trouble sleeping then perhaps you should give it up, but until then keep on keepin' on...

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
It seems that stimulants and sedatives affect each individual differently. I.e. A cold medicine that says, "may cause drowsiness" will cause some people to pass out within minutes, and have no effect on others. I think the effects of alcohol and tobacco are similar:some people are 'friendly' drunks and some people you just don't want to be around after a drink. I spent a lot of time in the backcountry cowboying, and some of the guys wouldn't touch dip or other forms of tobacco before bed because it acted as a stimulant. I find it the opposite. But if I combine alcohol / tobacco / food, I better plan on an all nighter, because I can guarantee you, even if I manage to get to sleep, I'll be wide awake by 3AM....good during hunting season, but otherwise....not.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Nightcap usually kills me. Had it as a morning pipe once on a dark, gloomy, rainy morning ( I thought yay Latakia fits the mood! ) and it bowled me over so bad I went straight back to bed to sleep to 3pm. Thank god it was a weekend day ..

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
That's too funny! I've had cold medicine do that to me when I was really sick...never thought of using Nightcap for the same purpose LOL

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I don't have an issue sleeping after a bowl or a cigar in the evening. If I have a stronger blend or a medium to full strength cigar I sleep pretty good. I do enjoy a nice bowl or mild to medium cigar in the mornings to help get me going during the day at times as well.

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
Well, I'm having a sleep issue now. Had a bowl about 3 hours ago. Attribute it more to sitting on my ass working on the computer all day, though. Just was outside hanging out with the horses. So now my mind is off of work, and will give the sleep thing a try!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I think its more than smoking at this point, I slept ok last night and did not smoke anything before bed. I woke 2-3 times and had to force myself to lay back down. I even have been walking before bed to tire myself out.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I'm one of the lucky ones I guess. If I'm not having a beer or single malt, I drink coffee or ice tea

and smoke all day. I've never had an issue. Of course, as a Retired Marine, I learned to sleep

anywhere anytime. I can sleep setting up, bent in a corner, standing up or in a puddle.

I also learned to sleep quickly! You can get 8 hours of sleep in 20 minuets if you sleep quick enough!. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.