Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I have been smoking a pipe for over 44 years now. I think of myself as a rather heavy pipe smoker, it is rare when I do not have a pipe stuck in my ugly mug. Over the past 44 years every doctor I have had has told me that pipe smoking was going to damage my heart. Well, about 3 weeks ago I began suffering from chest pains. These were the textbook heart problem pains, so I went to my doctor who sent me to a cardiologist. I was scheduled for a cardio cath, and I had that done today. The doctor who did the cath was certain that he was going to find problems due to my symptoms and the fact that I have smoked for so many years. Well, when he came to deliver his findings he shook my hand and said "Congratulations." It seems that not only has there been no damage done to my heart from all this smoking, my heart is as healthy as a teenager's heart. Not too shabby for a 62 year old guy who has not taken the best of care. Granted I still have the chest pains, but the doctor I had today told me that it most likely was not too dangerous. I am not saying that pipe smoking is harmless to everyone, but I now have proof in black and white that my heart has not been damaged from smoking for 44 years and I will tell every doctor who tries to make me quit that I have no intention of ever setting aside my pipe.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
I need to send this to my ex who hounded me for years...wait a sec...we're divorced now...doesn't matter :)

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Congratulations on a good report from the doc. That is great news. Also, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you. 44 years, huh? Wow, that's a long time. Probably as long as Condorlover but without the extreme age and eccentrity :nana:

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
First off, welcome to the forums Stephen! Glad to hear your story, thanks for sharing. I think a lot of us here have that little health care thought in the back of our minds. I've smoked pipes and cigars for over 30 years, and so far, no problems. I think that a lot of health problems depend on the individual. My mother in law smoked cigarettes for most of her life, and she lived to be 93. I have two friends that I've known since high school that were religious about avoiding anything that could cause cancer. They never smoked, avoided foods with nitrites, and so forth. They both got cancer while in their 40s. She died from ovarian cancer, but he survived prostate cancer. Life is a roll of the dice, and everyone has to make up their own rules for living. I figure I have a much better chance of dying in a car accident than smoking a pipe, so I smoke more and drive less! :lol:

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
Life is a roll of the dice, and everyone has to make up their own rules for living
Amen! Could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Live while you can!

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I eat pretty much whatever I enjoy, which includes spoonfuls of pure white sugar and condensed milk straight from the jar ( yeah I'm weird that way), pizza and burgers and as much red meat as I can possibly get my hands on. I drink in moderation but as much as I like and I smoke around 2 cigars, 4 bowls and 40 cigarettes a week.

Last time I had some tests done my lung capacity clocked in at around 5.3 litres (that's about 1.2 gallons in American, not bad at all for a non-smoker my size) and my cholesterol was below 135. My bmi is also below 21.

I should quit the ciggys but needless to say after seeing the test results I'm not particularly worried.

GranTed, I'm only 28 and it's too early to tell, so I'll be keeping an eye on these values, but life's way too short for green salads without dressing, bad liquor and cheap tobacco (unless it also happens to be good, a la prince albert).

Rock on brother!!

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
That puts my mind at ease. :mrgreen:
I'm just getting started in this hobby. Congrats on your health and welcome!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
What if he'd told you what you thought you were going to hear? Would you have accepted his advice and diagnosis as willingly? I don't think you would have. A second opinion would have been your top priority.
"I still have the chest pains"...and, "the heart of a teenager"..."not too dangerous"...

Reactions: TheWhale13

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Happy to hear your good report.
The only thing that's going to kill me is overwork. I don't recall every reading anything about that in the SG's report!
newbroom is right. I assume you are going to follow up on whatever is causing your chest pains? I'm guessing your heart is fine but you have coronary artery occlusions?

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
What if he'd told you what you thought you were going to hear? Would you have accepted his advice and diagnosis as willingly? I don't think you would have. A second opinion would have been your top priority.
I am prepared to do to cut out things that cause me harm. About 3 years ago, I had a condition that doctors said was worsened by smoking (and it is worsened by cigarettes). When I left the hospital I sold my pipe collection and would have sold my tobacco if I had a buyer who could purchase it at my price. I stopped smoking for almost 6 months until my father died and that stress put me back to pipe smoking. I have now found out that the pipe did not worsen the condition that I originally had, but I am prepared to follow doctor's orders when the doctor bases his orders on what will help. I sold 44 years of pipes (many very high end pipes too) for a song when I thought it would help me.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Stephenw such a dreadful pity you had to sell of your lifetimes collection of pipes.
I hope you can take consolation in being able to smoke a pipe again and I wish you many many more years of pipe smoking and perhaps collecting again.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Has the doctor checked for esophageal cancer? Symptoms feel like a heart problem and most doctors will not look for it until the symptoms are so severe that it is "too late." It is also not necessarily related to smoking. Do not ignore the chest pains until everything has been checked out. Best of luck to you.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I'll raise a bowl...or 44, for that! Congrats and i agree on a second opinion and not being at ease until the source of the chest pains are pinpointed or at least somewhat explained. Cheers and here's to many many more happy years of briars and meers!!!
I'm a poet and i know it. lol. 8)

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Very nice! Cheers to a healthy heart!
Summer of last year, I went to go get a routine check up. My doctor then panicked because I had high blood pressure. When I told her I smoked pipes and cigars, but not cigarettes, she immediately said what any doctor would have said and told me to lay off the smokes. I kept doing it, as any cigar/pipe smoker would, and just skated a lot more often (it's my form of exercise) and had a bowl of cheerios, a glass of orange juice, and a banana every morning. A month later, my blood pressure was significantly down and when I told her I had still smoked, she stood there confused. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.