PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
Recently I read Michael Lankton's article "An Epidemic of Huge Pipes and Bad Technique" (http://cakeanddottle.com/pipe-rack/guides/85-an-epidemic-of-huge-pipes-and-bad-technique). He suggests that "Pipe smoking should be meditative. It is a sensory experience, and good tobacco should be enjoyed like good spirits or good cheese. It should force you to slow down. Your heart rate and blood pressure should decrease when smoking a pipe (my italics). Your mood should improve and whatever thoughts occupied your mind during the day should drift away."
I've been on medication for high blood pressure since 1998. The doctor told me that there's not much you can do to escape it; it helps to lose weight (I'm not/was not overweight), keep your triglycerides low, and exercise, but you'll never keep the blood pressure down without medication.
Last week at my annual checkup, the nurse took my blood pressure, and it was 128/74. I was ecstatic, but not surprised; since Christmas, I have changed my diet to be gluten free, 95% sugar free, and generally eating more vegetables nuts, and fruit (as well as bacon and eggs for breakfast nearly every day). I still get the same amount of exercise I have always gotten. BUT--I also stopped taking any medication four months ago, and started smoking my pipe again ten months ago, at which time I was a little concerned about what it might do to my blood pressure (not that concerned, though, since I'm smoking anyway).
Back to what Lankston says about heart rate and blood pressure, and I can see how it's a likely factor in lowering blood pressure, along with all the others.
I'm not suggesting that if you have high blood pressure, you should smoke your pipe more. YMMV, but for me it's a kind of natural medication. I haven't brought this up to my doctor yet--I'll see him again this week, and he's really old school, all the way to playing "The Deadly Dangers of Tobacco" videos on his monitor in the waiting room. But I think he needs to know what I've been doing and not doing. Should be an interesting conversation.
I know all the dangers of playing doctor, but my body is telling me how I'm doing. Anybody else make some similar discovery?

Aug 14, 2012
I have been told by more than one MD that nicotine raises your blood pressure. I have evidence that this is true by observing my own body. If your pressure is down it might be from better eating. It could also be from exercise.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You've made a couple of positive life style changes, better eating and exercising, and one negative, smoking. Now you want to attribute the positive blood pressure change to the negative? Not sure I understand the logic.
My suggestion is to cease the pipe and see if there is further improvement. There are people that argue the pipe can be a positive influence on one's physical well-being. I agree, but only if the pipe is not filled with burning tobacco and you are taking long walks with an unlighted pipe in your mouth.
There is absolutely nothing good happening in the body when you introduce a bunch of carcinogens. As a pipe smoker I simply enjoy the pipe for what it is and do not ascribe any healthy attributes to the pipe, except a certain self-gratification. I'm guessing that I enjoy the nicotine and perhaps I have a, not too subtle, oral fixation. What ever it is, it's not for physical health that I smoke, it's for mental health. The physical act of smoking is mentally enjoyable which, to me, out weighs the physical damage I am most likely causing.
I suspect my philosophy will change drastically if diagnosed with cancer in the future.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Smoking a pipe is definitely a form of self medicating for myself. It is relaxing and enjoyable, and I prefer it over taking medications or drinking alcohol. I do subscribe to the idea that moderate pipe smoking can improve a persons overall health. Some will say that golf is a great way to improve your health, but the level of stress and frustration it causes me cancels out most of the positive benefits. I still play the game from time to time, but my point is... to each his own and what may be unhealthy to one may be healthy to another. Life should not be about preservation. It should be about quality, and anything that improves ones quality of life is healthy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Few doctors are going to condone smoking of any kind. The studies are predominantly against, so a physician

would be setting her/himself up by saying it's okay. I suspect the relaxation motif with moderate pipe smoking

has some beneficial effects, but nothing that would show up in a study. Keep up the good work with diet,

exercise, sufficient sleep, adequate hydration, etc., and being monitored by your doc.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Smoker's Paradoxes: Health Benefits of Smoking
And
Medical Uses of Nicotine
Well, I did not know these. I mean, I suspected there must be some good from smoking tobaccos, since there have been claims of its benefits since people first started doing it. I would have dismissed them as old wives tales, but here you go.
Oh -- that's informational only. I don't in any mean to imply I support smoking for physical health benefits, and especially if you have conditions known to make smoking an even greater risk for you.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
It's probably more your diet than anything. When I cut down to 50g of carbs a day or less, and started weightlifting on a regular basis (making it a lifestyle) my blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. dropped way down.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've actually had a somewhat similar experience. My doc had me on Zocar and Benicar for high BP and cholesterol. When I started smoking a pipe regularly, I decided that I had to eat better, lose weight and get regular exercise to offset any ill effects. I've lost close to 15 pounds in the past three year and managed to keep it off. I've been running more than ever (no marathon guy, but about 15 miles/week). My BP and Cholesterol are way down and I cut my meds in half (doc says the cholesterol is hereditary, so it is what it is). I go back for an annual check up in a few weeks, I'm hoping to drop the Zocar completely. The pipe didn't make me healthy (well, perhaps mentally) but it did make me be a little more in control of my diet and exercise.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
@Warren-
There is absolutely nothing good happening in the body when you introduce a bunch of carcinogens
Not a pretty way to put it, but as much as I like to espouse the benefits of smoking a pipe, the brute reality is right there.
Don't like to see it, hear it or talk about it, but there it is.
Will that stop me?
No Way!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I think ssjones has a pretty realistic handle on the entire situation. If we are going to have a vice in our lives; pipe smoking is probably one of the more benign ones available. I like the thought though, pick a vice and then try and live a bit healthier in the other aspects of life.
The wife and I are going to take the motor home across the northern tier states in a couple of weeks so I will seek out a couple of tobacco stores along the way. No smoking in the motor home though, a break here and there for photography and a pipe will suffice.
It's been 10 years since I set foot in Iwan Ries and I'm soooooo looking forward to that. I'm going to check out a couple of stores in Calgary also, if there's time, after visiting the Last Best Cowboy Hat shop and factory.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
As a cig smoker for 40 years, my fishing buddy doc has told me that once I quit smoking I will have to go in blood pressure pills. I have done research and there is validity to his statements. I am the youngest son of a family of five with two older brothers, both non smokers and both on BP pills. Nicotine calms people and I believe it reacts differently in some people. The majority of people will see an increase in BP with the introduction of nicotine.
I know their is a ton of research on marijuana being done now as well, the times they are a changing for sure.
I will be a smoker, pipes I hope for the rest f my life. Screw it, I dont drink, never tasted coffee and when I swear I have a bowl of chocolate flake to remind me of my mother. :wink:

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I know I've said this before, but my father is a neurologist and works for a very large medical research firm. He's always told me that for all the shit us humans do to ourselves, pipe smoking is the least of our worries.
Side note: the warning on tobacco products? The one that says "cause cancer and birth defects etc?" It was on so many things I unboxed when I work in music retail that you would be shocked: guitar strings, picks, speakers, polishes and way more. There is very little we come in contact with on a daily basis that WONT kill us.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I had a very similar thing happen, as far as blood pressure - I had been in last year and consistently had higher blood pressure. THis year I went in and the only thing different is that I had been smoking the crap out of my pipes - and was thus more relaxed. Diet certainly hadn't changed...

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Another thing to consider is that since it is a relaxing activity, it's allowing you to reduce the stress hormones in your body that generally keep that blood pressure up. Of course, it's a minute thing as opposed to your lifestyle changes, but it's still a contributing factor.
Last summer, my doctor said my blood pressure was high and when she learned I smoked pipes and cigars, she advised me to stop. I ate better (bananas and orange juice and cheerios for breakfast everyday helps...all that potassium helps lower bp a lot) and skated a lot more than usual and by the following month, my bp dropped a whole 10-15 clicks from what it was at initially. She didn't say anything about my smoking then.

Status
Not open for further replies.