Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Ok guys, I need your input, and your support on something that I think is important for the pipe smoking community and our rights.
Right now all I am asking you to do is read this, comment on it and if you agree, please post it in any other pipe forums you visit. Our community here is too new and small so we will need others involved too.
Pipe Smoker’s Rights & Cigar Rights of America

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
Kevin,I posted an announcement at http://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/index.php. This is another new pipe smokers forum. Walt, the site moderator/manager, just informed me that he has created a newslink just for this worthy organization. I also posted at yet another new forum, TampAndPuff.com. Then on to step two.....

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Eddie, thanks for making those posts, but a BIG part of the message got lost.
The main message is that CRA is NOT including pipe smokers in their efforts and we need to lobby them to do so.
I was hoping you would post the link to the article rather than a link to CRA for people to join. Pipe smokers are wasting their money joining CRA if CRA is not lobbying for them. We need to lobby CRA first so they include pipe smokers.
I do not see that communicated in these posts:

http://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41

http://tampandpuff.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=336
Can you make the clarification and the link to the article, please?

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-smoking-thoughts/pipe-smokers-rights-cigar-rights-of-america/

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I read the article and it is a shame that they have ignored the request to include pipe tobacco. We need an organization that includes all types of tobacco. Even big tobacco wants to separate themselves, which makes no sense. Once one type of tobacco is gone, the rest will quickly follow.
We should start the TRA, Tobacco Rights of America!

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Also, good call on lobbying them to include pipe tobacco before pipe smokers join. Otherwise they will be getting a lot of membership dues without supporting the pipe smokers.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I just sent them an e-mail to info@cigarrights.org

This is what I sent:

-----------------------------------

To Whom It May Concern,
My name is Bob Tate and I would like to know if you would be opposed to adding Pipes and Pipe tobacco to your fight against the anti-tobacco legislation. I am an avid cigar smoker but I also enjoy pipes as well. I smoke about 10-15 cigars a week and I probably smoke pipes more often than cigars. There are many people who still enjoy pipes and pipe tobacco and they are under attack from anti-tobacco as well.
To be honest, I have been on the fence about joining CRA because I am not sure if I would get value for my membership. If you were to add pipes and pipe tobacco to your organization I would definitely join, as I am sure will a lot of other pipe smokers. There are a great many pipe smokers still in the USA and the world. If you added pipe tobacco, I am sure the membership numbers would quickly multiply.
Pipe smokers are looking for an organization to stand up for their rights as well and I am sure you will get a tremendous amount of support from pipers. The more people who support our rights to enjoy tobacco the better, right?
I think it would benefit the CRA and pipe smokers as well if you included pipes and pipe tobacco. The CRA would also be able to talk to the manufacturers of pipes and pipe tobacco to join their ranks just as you did with the cigar manufacturers, the bigger the organization the better. It would be a win-win situation. CRA would get more members and have to opportunity to recruit pipe and pipe tobacco manufacturers and pipe smokers would have an organization to represent them in the anti-tobacco war.
This could be what we tobacco users need in the anti-tobacco war, a large unified entity that fights back for our rights to enjoy tobacco. I really hope that you will consider this option as it could benefit all tobacco users everywhere.
I am looking forward to hearing from you on this matter and thank you very much for your time.
Regards,

Bob Tate
--------------------------------
Hopefully I will get a response.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Well, I'm not sure how well it will work. This is the response that I got from them.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the email.
While smoking bans affect all forms of tobacco, and many tobacconists also

sell pipes and pipe tobacco, CRA was strategically created to serve the

premium handmade cigar enthusiasts.
We certainly welcome anyone who would like to join CRA to help in the

greater fight for our freedom, and they can join at

www.cigarrights.org/membership.htm.
Thank you very much for your support!

Brian Berman

Director of Membership

Cigar Rights of America

(818) 541-1535
Join Cigar Rights of America to fight for

your freedom to enjoy cigars!
www.CigarRights.org
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hopefully if we keep lobbying them, they will change their stance. I will not join otherwise.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here's an update on this.
As of July 1, Florida's new cigarette tax is $1.34 per pack. An equivalent increase applies to smokeless and pipe tobacco, but not cigars.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/orl-crist-signs-cigarette-tax-052709,0,3688.story

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
UPDATE: I received an e-mail from Glynn Loope, Executive Director of CRA. He said that although it would be difficult to add pipe smoking to their efforts at the present time, that they would discuss it and keep the conversation open.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
python said: UPDATE: I received an e-mail from Glynn Loope, Executive Director of CRA. He said that although it would be difficult to add pipe smoking to their efforts at the present time, that they would discuss it and keep the conversation open.
That is at least a little bit encouraging.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Maybe the growth of young pipe smokers will continue. We need more young pipe smoking attorneys =)

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
You know I used to smoke premades , then ryo now the pipe is the only way I can afford to smoke .I activly email my reps but I believe it just gets deleated .My government has abandoned me and my voice . I suppose I will have to grow my own now .Iam not a drinker so tobacco is my only vice my pipe and I like to read the paper , go for walks , tinker in the garage , my pipe is a friend my relaxation and some times my sanity .They will pass the tax and all your voices will go unheard , you can write you can call but the big boys just will not care as they take thier kick backs and grow rich . When they said you can not smoke at work we said ok , When they said you can not smoke in retaurants we said ok ,When they said you can not smoke withen 500 feet of here we said ok . Now we will lose our right to smoke anywhere and we say how did this happen . Iam going to go smoke now and hope the neighbors are ok with it . you see I do not like to make waves .

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I like making waves. I have found myself as of late, going to public places, and smoking my pipe, where smoking is unlawful. I don't recommend this for anyone else. There is just so much bullshirt one can take. I suggest everyone who enjoys tobacco, should at the very least, write you're congressman.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Well ill see my senator in two weeks at thr local republican meeting [When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.