PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
After my birthday, I asked my wife to email me pictures of my pipe so that I could show it off to the one fellow piper I knew at work.
While I was showing Allen the pipe, people started showing up. I was totally blown away at how many guys were pipe smokers. The younger ones were fascinated, and expressed interest. Since having tobacco and related products on company property are a fireable "offense" no one even talks about their hobby.
What really surprised me were how many women wanted their husbands to take the pipe up, they hate chew and want them to change to something "classy". I gave them all Missouri Meerschaum's website and told them that was the way to get started without a lot of cash outlay.
Don't know how many "interested" people will follow through, but I was truly amazed at the amount of pipe smokers there were, and that I'd worked with them for years and didn't know we shared the interest.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I always wonder if anyone I come in contact with smokes a pipe and I don't know it. If they happen to know me at all they certainly know I smoke a pipe as I never stop talking about my favorite hobby.
I was surprised while hanging out at the local B&M the other day how many people came in to buy pipe tobacco. I sat there smoking my pipe hoping one would stop to talk to me but they all went about their merry way. Interestingly enough they all bought the local blend Aro's.

Aug 14, 2012
I hate to ask the obvious, but why didn't you have your pipe with you? Do you live on company property? It is amazing, the extent to which some people go to control others. I wonder if this is a mental illness. ("Teddy keeps yelling 'charge')". We have a mayor in NYC who would have legislated which sock you have to put on first if he could have.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Great idea Rob, sometimes you just need to be the spark that ignites the flame. I can't get ever though how something legal can be a firing offence just for having it at work. That boggles my mind. What a friggin nanny state we live in.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Foggy,

If anyone is caught on company property with tobacco or related items, they can be fired. I have 3 more years to retirement, so it's just not worth it. With very few exceptions, I don't pal around with the guys I work with.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Yeah plateauguy, they're out there, but they stay hidden pretty well. Last year, or maybe it was earlier this year, I found out that a couple of guys I've worked with for years were pipe smokers. We started hangin out and talking pipes all the time. We even got a couple of other guys interested in pipes!

Status
Not open for further replies.