Pipe smoker from Belfast. Currently live in Englnd, Great to be a member here!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperRowan

Lurker
Jul 2, 2019
Hi, greeting to other members!!Hello from Belfast!!
I touched pipe smoking back to 2016 when I was 23 in Belfast. And no doubt Peterson is my favorite pipe brand.
Then pipe smoking and tobacco became my daily partner. Now I am a research student in England. Pipe inspires my work. I smoke when I read and write.
Aromatic was the only type of tobacco touched my pipe until two months ago when I decided to try something different. Another reason will be aromatic gave me serious tongue bite from March 2019, don't know why though. When I tried non-aromatic, wow!they are sure the type for me!
My favorite so far:

HH Old Dark Fired

SG Full Virginia

University Flake
It will be great to hear what tobacco you smoke/recommend and happy to be a member of this community!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Welcome from Knik River, Alaska! My family immigrated to the Colonies (Soon to become the United States) from the Emerald Isle in 1750. We've been moving further west ever since, haha.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Welcome. Peterson is my favorite brand and 1 of the reasons I chose this user name. The other being my dad's family came from the Ballintoy area of Antrim.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
There's a tobacco company in the Lake District that produces many dozens of blends, both flavored and natural. Top quality stuff in my experience. Called Gawith, Hogarth & Co.
A good "transition" blend that has characteristics of each type is called Conniston Cut Plug.
GH&Co stuff has been hard to come by in the US for several years, but I imagine if it can be found anywhere it would be domestically.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Welcome from NE FL! Depending on what part of England that you are in, there should be the availability of many blends that we cannot get in the States. Any JF Germain’s Blends would be worth a try. You should have the Charatan Dunhill clones and other US unobtainables like Condor available as well. Happy smoking!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Welcome from San Francisco, USA.
I second the recommendation of the flakes and plugs from GH&C based on your list of blends. They are very stout in nicotine, really full in flavor and body, and they use fire cured tobaccos like Old Dark Fired (though not from Kentucky). I'd start with the unscented varieties like Dark Flake U/S, and if you find that you like that touch of floral, Lakeland style flavoring and think you'd appreciate more of it, jump into the scented versions. That's kind of where I'm at myself with those tobaccos.
If you enjoy the dark-fired kentucky style of tobacco, I'd suggest GL Pease's JackKnife Plug. Not sure how easily obtainable it is over there, but it is a great showcase of the dark-fired Kentucky varietal.
Erinmore Flake is another good one that should be pretty available. You might like that one of you like University Flake.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Welcome from a fellow Brit, if you like Full Virginia Flake then you should definitely try the plug version and if you like stronger tobaccos Revor Plug is worth checking out.

Another good couple of tobaccos worth trying are J.F. Germain's Rich Dark Flake and Brown Flake, they are both readily available (in the UK anyway) and the Brown Flake especially is absolutely delicious and quite unique.
Chris

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Exploring tobaccos is fun. Ols Dark Fired is wonderful. I'm smoking it right now. If you like it, you will probably also like Peterson's Irish Flake and Samuel Gawith's Lakeland Dark.

If you like Full Virginia Flake, you might also like Capstan Blue Flake.

I!ll also recommend Rattray's va/bur/per blends: Hal o' The Wynd and Old Gowrie. They'll sing and dance on your tongue.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
There are many great British OTC tobaccos readily available in the UK,St Bruno, Mellow Virginia by B&H,Condor long cut and of course a vast array of G&Hoggarth blends in bulk form,yet it might be worthwhile to notice that Peterson irishFlake,S Gawith Lakeland dark and G&H Dark flake are all stronger in nicotine&taste than Mc Barens Old Dark Fired which is one of my all time favorite + Amphora original brown

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina, U.S. If you enjoy burley, Tabac-Manil Semois is a Belgium variant that some like a lot (others not). I like a range of burley, burley inclusive blends, and blends of kinds of burley. Not exclusively, but they are some of my favorites. The Semois is unique and sturdy in flavor. Semois also makes more of a blend, Petite Robin in shag cut, but I like the medium and thick cut all burley variant best.

Status
Not open for further replies.