PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
I have heard many discussions, and seen many topics discussing the evolution of a pipe smoker's taste. Although, I completely agree that the type of tobacco a pipe smoker prefers is personal, and therefore do what makes you happy, I have discovered on a personal level that the preference of pipe smoker can evolve. I began smoking stuff like 1Q when I first started pipe smoking about 5 years ago. It is exactly what I thought pipe tobacco should be, and I still keep a bit around to enjoy every once in a while.
Then I found Virginia flakes! Sweet, rich, tangy!!! I figured out just how to keep tobacco lit, and how sugar in a tobacco can give you one hell of a case of tongue bite. I ventured further into VA-PER blends, oriental blends; this experience adding the complexity that urged me to keep buying new tins. McClelland, C&D, Mac Baren, GL Pease!!!
Then... LATAKIA! At first opening a tin of latakia tobacco can be scary for the evolving tobacco enthusiast. Smoky, woodsy, sweet in the richest sense of the word. I feel like in the past year I have reached the pinnacle of what is the pipe smoking experience. This doesn't mean I am in a constant state of decent. No, it just means that now I am able to experience pipe tobacco in all of its wonderful forms, whether it be aromatics, VA blends, or latakia blends.
Sorry for rambling, but I just thought I would share my voyage through TAD!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Me too. Smoked aromatics, black cavendish, then a couple of VaPers, until I got my first Latakia hit in 2005. Can't get enough of it now, lol. One's tastes evolve with sampling. There's always something new to try.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I started off rolling aros into cigs. All your basic otc cavendish blends and stuff. When I took up the pipe I ordered a bunch of different types of baccy to try them all. Vapers orientals VAs and lat blends, along with a few more aros and other strange stuff. I hated everything with perique right off the bat, and still do. But when I first opened a pouch of Ruins of Isenguard from Just For Him (my first latakia blend) I didn't know what the heck to think. "jerky tobacco?"

But then... I smoked. The heavens opened up and glory poured through every wisp of smoke that emanated from the briar. I never turned back to things of the flesh since. I am a man of the cloth now, and better for it. Thank-you Jesus and people of the orient for Latakia!

Status
Not open for further replies.