Pipe Shows: Bring the Spouse? Or Party Foul?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Forgive me this one, but I've never been to a pipe show of any sort. In pictures I've seen, it appears to be a 99% male crowd. Do spouses attend? Or are pipe shows generally testosterone zones only?

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Bring her if she wants to go, but if you bring her be ready to leave when she really wants to go. She is your wife and I assume she gets you.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
A lot of women attend pipe shows with their spouses. My wife loves to come with me to the Vegas Show. She's made a lot of friends there over the years and even enjoys smoking her pipe every once in awhile with the attendees. I can't count the number of guys who bring wives or girlfriends to the shows. Again, it is a bunch. And, a lot of women have tables to display their pipes (Like The Pipe Tart, Sally Gottleibson) and there are others who work the tables with their spouses, or as employees for the larger, commercial display tables.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've seen a few spouses at shows, but I can't say that I've seen a lot. If you have a non-pipe smoking spouse who agrees to go to a show with you - hang onto that one! They are a novelty and guys like seeing ladies, so if she's game, bring her.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
My wife has been to a few shows over the years. She's a good sport and knows that I'm going to do my thing so she usually goes shopping during the day and hangs out in the room at night. 8O

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Bring her if she'll enjoy it. Otherwise it'll effect your own experience. Easy decision for me with the upcoming Chicago show; my wife wouldn't come even if I begged her. The fact that your wife is even open to it is pretty rad.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
In my case my wife is a designer by degree and background and really appreciates the artistry of many artisan pipe-carvers. We've been married almost 29 years. Met in 7th grade. She'd come (I already asked). I just wondered if she'd feel completely out of place.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have taken my wife to the Columbus show several times, she seemed to enjoy it well enough. It's nice to have a companion on the drive to and fro as well!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My wife is asthmatic and dangerously allergic to smoke. She will never come to a pipe show. But she highly encourages me to go.
The Chicago show has events for women. There are plenty of shopping opportunities in the area.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
My wife accompanied me to the St. Louis pipe show this year; we drove 6.5 hours one way and stayed overnight Friday to get to the show on time. She was a total trooper and enjoyed meeting all the vendors and various people along the way. By the end of the trip she had a lot of fun and is ready to go to another show. She enjoyed learning about the craftsmanship, tobacco varieties and the various manufacturers.
We met Dennis Congos, Pete Prevost, Scott Theile, Tyler Huckfeld and Jesse Jones on the trip and each took time with her to answer questions.
I guess I'm a lucky guy. :)

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I took the wife to the Columbus show about 4 years ago and she said she enjoyed it well enough. We were in and out of the show within an hour or so, and imagine that helped her enjoy it more. I know how I am with going places she wants to go that I don't really want to; I'm good to go if it's in and out within reason. I asked her if she wanted to go to the Chicago show this year and she declined, which means I'll be taking my cigarette smoking best friend instead. That is unless he bails on me. I'll be going alone if that happens, which I'm good with too.
So yes, of course, take your wife to the show if she wants to go. It is not a party foul, but be thoughtful; you may end up spending half a day in a shoe store somewhere on the way back home.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
. . . but be thoughtful; you may end up spending half a day in a shoe store somewhere on the way back home.

Amen brother!! For me, I'll get stuck going to Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or JoAnn Fabrics. ((shudder))

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
It's a pipe show. There will pipes, tobacco and a room full of people much like yourself talking about pipes and tobacco. Unless your wife is into pipes, tobacco and being with a roomful of strangers like yourself there may not be much there to keep her interested. Tell it like it is, show her some of the avatars of the forum members, and then ask her if she wants to go. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

My wife, who hates cigarettes and cigar smells, loves coming with me to shows. If my past experiences are any indicator, you won't smell any latakia in the air over the hundreds of pipes smoking goopy aromatics. I think it's good to include the wife, as for me, it's nice to have someone to talk to about pipes when I'm at home. Plus, she is a great judge at buying me pipes for gifts as well as tobaccos. Although, she got into a spat with Skip at The Briary at Christmas, and I was punished with a gift of a bent apple Neerup, which both of them knows that I only collect Dublins and Bulldogs, LOL. :puffy:
But, yeh bring her. It's good to let the wives talk while we shop also. They can swap favorite room note blends and tell silly stories about us.

Status
Not open for further replies.