PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
ALright its been a while since I last posted. But I was wondering if anyone knows of good pipe stores in the city. Im heading there in a month and want to hit up some.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Thanks for the video. I had been into the shop when it was located on Madison Avenue. From the video it seems that there is much more of a concentration of product and space now for pipes and pipe tobacco than just cigars. Please do one for Barclay Rex and also perhaps run something on Ed Burak the quintessential NY pipe man from the former Connoisseur Pipe Shop. Ed is now retired and his shop has closed. I have and enjoy one of his Connoisseur pipes.

dunc

Lurker
Nov 10, 2009
Last year on a holiday in NYC I had the priveledge to visit Nat Shermanns shop.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Here's a list of shops in NYC and the area with some comments. There used to be 4-5 pipe stores around Grand Central Station but I think only one may still be there.

Good luck and have fun.
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=pipe+tobacco+shop&find_loc=New+York%2C+NY

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Good list. However, sadly, #4 Connoisseur Pipe Shop has closed. Now only on the web and only selling pipes by a successor to Ed Burak who has retired.

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
thanks, for the feedback. im going to try and check a bunch out while im oujt there

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
The New York City Pipe Club meets next on April 12 at Florio's 92 Grand st. If you are in town it might be a good place to smoke a bowl and talk to the locals about shops.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Welcome to the Big Apple and be sure to sport your pipe on the street, viceroy! Anyone tries to give you a ticket, laugh at them (and then maybe run). :puffy:

Nat Sherman and Barclay Rex are indeed still on 42nd near Grand Central Terminus; Barclay is tiny but very friendly, and Nat's is dangerous to go into if you've got money to burn--but definitely pick up some of the house blends. There's a little shop called the Cigar Inn on 2nd Ave & 53rd with a small smoking lounge in back, and a bit of a snooty attitude. I say a bit, because none compare to the attitude at De La Concha up on 6th ave--I'd give them a miss, personally, but they do have a nice selection of pipes and a fair amount of tobaccos. There's a Monte Cristo shop up on Lex, but their main focus is cigars, though they do have a lounge.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
As an addendum, I stopped by the Barclay Rex on Lexington and 53rd yesterday. I was very excited to see a ton of Esoterica on hand, as I'd been wanting to sample Woodbridge, Blackpool, and Ramsgate (still searching for a great liquorice tobacco). Slight problem though; as I was talking to the salesman and sniffing some of the jarred tobacco, I noticed they all had little packets in them--the humidor packets. 8O And as I looked at the tobacco, it was mouldy. Nope, not crystal formations on the VA's; I have plenty of that at home. The rancid smell, blue-green mottle throughout the tobacco, and the fact that it was on every blend--aromatic, English, Lat--well, it just made my heart sink. I asked the clerk why the humidifier packets were in there (they're labeled to keep a constant 77% RH), and he lectured me about keeping tobacco properly moist. I asked him if he smoked a pipe or a cigar; cigars of course. I gently suggested that pipe tobacco and cigar tobacco were two different animals, and that pipe tobacco prefers a 15-20% range, more in the 17-18% range is ideal. He snorted, rolled his eyes, and walked away. I would have bought an 8oz bag for more than twice what I could pay online if I'd been able to sample a clean tobacco, and talk with an interested salesman. Guess I just live in the wrong century. On a good note, when the revolution comes I'll probably loot this store as they had a load of Penzance tins.

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
I came, I saw, I went to Nat Sherman's. I didnt get a chance to really look around but I did buy a blend, I cannot recall which one and I do not have it in front of me. But I was in the city before the smoking ban went into effect in parks so I did enjoy a pipe in Tompkins Square Park.

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
one of the dumbest laws that has been past against smokers, i am betting they go after smoking on the sidewalks next

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
A law only works if there is enforcement and the courts uphold it. I cannot imagine a cop wasting time enforcing such stupidity nor any judge upholding such a law. Will the police enforce a no smoking zone on sidewalks outside of police stations or in radio cars where the police light up?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I just heard on the radio that NYC is outlawing smoking outdoors in public areas that include parks and sidewalks. Jeeze viceroy when you visit NCY you'll have to grab a smoke in the boys room, just like we did in high school. Outlaw it and it goes underground. Otherwise enjoy the city. I'm in the city a couple times a month. Nat Shermans is a good place to start!

shamborn

Lurker
Feb 7, 2012
Kevin, that video piece @ Nat Sherman's got me going! Literally...going there today to choose my first pipe. I'm very excited.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.