PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My son has to work in Louisville, Kentucky for a week. Any good pipe shops he should visit up there?

Places for him to sit and smoke?

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Unfortunately there's no indoor smoking in the county anymore. There are a couple spots just across the river in New Albany and Jeffersonville Indiana. It's about a 15 minute drive to The Office in New Albany but the lounge is fantastic. Tom the owner is welcoming and there are some pipes for sale.
As far as pipes and pipe tobacco go in Louisville proper, Id recommend J Shepard if your son is close to downtown. Jason keeps some nice Peterson's in stock as well as Savinelli. Also very nice cigars.
Further out in the south end of town is Leaf and Cedar. Rick is a great guy and has the biggest selection of tins in town.

There's usually people gathered out front smoking pipes and cigars.
Another option in the east end is Oxmoor (Tuckers) Tobacco Shop. Keeps Dunhill tins and will usually have esoterica/Germaine when it comes in. Beautiful selection of Italian pipes here but at quite a markup. Cigar prices are VERY nice though.
My advice is to avoid Kremers. There's not much there anymore. The guy who runs it is not pleasant.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Oxmore is nice. The shop is small, they have great service and blend one of my favorite aromatics “Holy Smoke”.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Also if he want to drive...1.5 hours North there is Strauss Tobacco Shop in Cincinnati. Third oldest tobacco shop in the country. Jim's the owner. Smoking friendly and downtown. Great place to hang out. Lots of Reds, celebs and Jeff Ruby hang out there.
Strauss Tobacco History

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
He actually lives in Johnson City, TN but the company he works for is sending him up to Louisville to work over the summer. They are actually trying to force him into a full time position up there but he just bought a house in Johnson City.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
10 to 20 years ago, Kremers was a very good shop. Tons of cigars and a very healthy selection of pipe tobacco. I remember browsing through the pipe tobacco finding a lot of tins shoved to the back that were already 2 to 5 years old. I used to stop there from time to time as it was just a couple of blocks off of I65. I seem to recall there used to be a decent shop, I think it was in or near a mall, out East of downtown Louisville but before you get to the Blue Grass Industrial Park exit. It was North of 64 a few blocks. I seem to remember Oxmoor as well, nice friendly shop but not such a great selection.
I think your Son should be able to find several suitable choices where he can hang out and smoke a cigar or pipe while he is in Louisville. And depending on where he's at, other than rush hour, driving over to Clarksville or Jeffersonville isn't that big of a deal.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
The original owner of Kremers died and his daughter inherited/bought it. Her husband runs it now and he's a jackass.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The original owner of Kremers died and his daughter inherited/bought it. Her husband runs it now and he's a jackass.
I never found the place "warm and fuzzy" even when the previous owner was active. But it was a large and really nice shop. I bought a lot of cigars and pipe tobacco there.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Yeah the old store downtown closed maybe 10 years ago and was moved a couple miles East. I never shopped there but at that time I was working for a wholesaler that supplied some tobacco products and novelty items.
Kremers was the only place in town that sold McClelland but that stock is exhausted. The jackass that runs it now sells overpriced basket pipes and lots of Sutliff aros from jars. I stopped in to buy some pipe cleaners about 2 years ago and met a couple Stokkebye reps.
He has some fake Dunhills in there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.