PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Wife is attending a seminar in Boston, MA the first week of June. I am flying out there after the seminar and we will be in the Boston & Worcester area for the next week visiting friends (none are pipe smokers) and seeing the sights.
I live in Western Canada and have never been to the Eastern US and would like to know about some interesting pipe shops as well as any potential "must see" items in the area. I am interested in US revolution historical things to see as well. Looking to purchase a nice rusticated "Canadian" pipe while there if I can find one at a shop. Any and all ideas are appreciated.

pipeastronomer

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2012
Boston MA/ Bethlehem NH
Yes you have to stop at Peretti's.
It's a small shop but when you enter it is like walking into a time machine. Well worth the stop. And pick up a few of their blends while you are there. You WON'T be disappointed.
And have a look at their pipes on the wall and give them a good look and handle. The guys behind the counter can sometimes come across as, well I'd say, grumpy at first. But I think that's the old timers way. Don't mistake this... They are extremely helpful once you get a conversation going.
Don't miss the opportunity to visit a true American treasure! And pock up a nice Peretti pipe to have in you collection. I have 3 so far.
Also something to do, not pipe related, is to go up to the observing deck of the Prudential Building. There you will get a full 360 vies of this magnificent city. Also take a trip to Faneuil Hall / Quincy Market. Those 2 things, along with Peretti's, will give you a great flavor of Boston. Walking from the Prudential Tower to Peretti's takes only about 20 minutes if you follow Bloylston street. Both sites are on this street. And then you can walk across the Boston Common down to Faneuil Hall. From Peretti's to Faneuil Hall is only again about 20 minutes. Making this 40 minute journey from the Pru, Peretti's and then Faneuil Hall will give you a great feel for our city. Boston rocks!

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks for the links!
L.J. Peretti's is definitely worth a visit.
http://www.ljperetti.com/
Will try to get to Peretti's, looks pretty interesting and they have some nice tobacco as well as pipes to consider.
In Worcester, check out The Owl Shop. http://owlshop.com/
I will be in Worcester for a few days, so this is one that I will visit for sure.
Also something to do, not pipe related, is to go up to the observing deck of the Prudential Building. There you will get a full 360 vies of this magnificent city. Also take a trip to Faneuil Hall / Quincy Market. Those 2 things, along with Peretti's, will give you a great flavor of Boston. Walking from the Prudential Tower to Peretti's takes only about 20 minutes if you follow Bloylston street. Both sites are on this street. And then you can walk across the Boston Common down to Faneuil Hall. From Peretti's to Faneuil Hall is only again about 20 minutes. Making this 40 minute journey from the Pru, Peretti's and then Faneuil Hall will give you a great feel for our city. Boston rocks!
Apparently we will be going whale watching and checking out a B&B or two in the area. There is one that is on a boat, that sounds kind of interesting. Will be spending a bit of time on the North end of Boston in Little Italy. Looking forward to the food and coffee there, supposed to be some great food places there.
Thanks for the info on the sites in Boston, pipeastronomer. I will be giving this information to my wife as she was wondering where the observation place was. She was in Boston about 4 years ago and raved about how nice it was. Great information guys!!

pipeastronomer

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2012
Boston MA/ Bethlehem NH
That sounds great Slownumbers39. Since you will be in the North End as well as going on a whale watch, you will be right next to Faneuil Hall.
Enjoy! And if you have any other question about the area feel free to send me a personal message. I have been living in Boston since 1990. So much to do and so much to see.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Peretti's as others have mentioned and David P. Ehrlich, who I think is still in business.
Don't miss The Owl Shop, when in Worcester. I have dealt with them by phone and Zack has always been very helpful and knowledgeable.
There's a walking tour in Boston called "The Freedom Trail" that you might look into. It includes 16 historic sites connected with the Revolution. Lexington and Concord are not far from Boston.
What town does the whale watch depart from?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you are interested in the American Revolution, the Freedom Trail is a must. Parts of that will be in the North End - Paul Revere's house, the Old North Church, and so on.

Slightly later in time is Old Ironsides, the world's oldest commissioned warship.

Also nearby are the Bunker Hill Monument, the Minuteman Statue at Lexington, and Old North Bridge at Concord. Minuteman National Historical Park

Concord Hymn

By the rude bridge that arched the flood,

Their flag to April's breeze unfurled,

Here once the embattled farmers stood,

And fired the shot heard round the world.
The foe long since in silence slept;

Alike the conqueror silent sleeps;

And Time the ruined bridge has swept

Down the dark stream which seaward creeps.
On this green bank, by this soft stream,

We set to-day a votive stone;

That memory may their deed redeem,

When, like our sires, our sons are gone.
Spirit, that made those heroes dare

To die, and leave their children free,

Bid Time and Nature gently spare

The shaft we raise to them and thee.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Definitely hit Peretti's and Owl shop. While in the No End, you have to go to Mike's pastry shop, incredible stuff and one of my favorite places to eat in the North End is Dolce Vita Ristorante on Hanover St. If you want the best lobster meal in Boston, check out Ocean Wealth in Chinatown. Pick a 5 pounder from the tank and ask them to cook it in their Black Bean sauce. It is unlike any lobster you have ever eaten. Also one of my favorite places is http://www.arkrestaurants.com/durgin_park.html.

I used to love hanging at the Durgin Park Oyster Bar in Faneuil Hall. Great raw bar, great bloody Mary's, Bass on tap if memory serves.
Top of the Hub at the Prudential is great for drinks( not cheap but good) and the best view of the city. It used to be one of my favorite hunting grounds when I was single. One thing I would also check out is the Swan boat ride in the Boston Public Gardens, lot of fun. I used to go as a kid and last time I was there I took my girl there and it was still fun. Last time I was in town was July 2009. Another fun thing to do is walk down Newbury St in the Back Bay, very cool st. Charles St is another cool st to check out.

pauljmjr

Lurker
Sep 8, 2012
I work in Worcester and go to the Owl Shop regularly -- definitely worth a visit. They have been blending many of their own custom blends for many decades. If you like Balkan Sobranie type blends, their Harkness Tower is really excellent. And I'd second the recommendations here to go to LJ Peretti's in Boston. There really are very few B&Ms in the entire country like Peretti's -- going in there is like stepping back in time. And I agree with the poster who said that the some of the staff there can at first appear a bit gruff at times. But don't let that deter you. If you start talking pipes and tobacco with them, things will go well. Enjoy.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Lookiing forward to going to Peretti's and the Owl Shop while there and checking out their unique blends.
Wondering if there might be a tobacco store in Boston or Worcester area that has Fusiller's Ration on the shelf? Due to the change at P&C where they no longer ship international, it has left me without a source and my supply is now limited. I have a decent supply of Blackhouse, but will run out of that at some point as well. Any information is appreciated and feel free to PM.
On a side note, really looking forward to seeing some historical sights and enjoying some great Italian dishes in Boston in just over a month.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I have to chime in with a +1 for Jud's suggestions as well as if you get the oppurtunity check out Fenway Park if at all possible. I am not a very big baseball fan and definitely not a Red Sox fan, but I can say it was one of the coolest experiences of my life; right up there with the Sistine Chapel as far as "WOW" places. Oh and you can visit Cheers, but don't expect them to know your name. :nana:

Aug 14, 2012
It has been many years since I was in Boston, so I don't know if it is still there, but checkout the Combat Zone while the wife is busy, if you feel like a drink.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
foggy, the Combat Zone was dismantled probably 20 years ago. It is now just an extension of the shopping that was down Washington street for years. I remember going there as a kid and getting into the strip joints and being served. Hookers walking all over, seedy books stores, was a total freak show. The Two A Clock and Naked I would let anyone drink back in the 70's. Chinatown has taken over part of it also.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
If you're staying/have reservations at a hotel with a concierge while in the Boston area, just order your Fuselier's Ration (and whatever else you want -- remember you get free shipping for orders of $100 or more) from P&C and have it delivered to your hotel in Boston. Easy-peasy.
If you've never done this before, it is best to contact your hotel's concierge first (I'd do it now) and make the arrangements. He/she can tell you the exact delivery address to use and more.
Your P&C order will be waiting for you at the hotel when you arrive.
That is a great idea, I never thought of that. We will be staying with a friend for a day or two and I will have some, 6 tins, sent there and the wife & I will bring them back with us. It is too bad that P&C does not ship internationally anymore and I am unable to find Fusiller's Ration anywhere else. Really happy I got 8 ounces of Blackhouse last fall. Thanks for the great, common sense tip.
Not sure exactly what we are all doing, but we will be going to the HUB and seeing the sights as well as whale watching and doing the Freeedom Trail. As well, as the wife is Italian, we weill spend a lot of time in the North End, enjoying many Itialian restaurants, much seafood and strong coffee.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I have a small amount of Fusilier's Ration ordered from P&C and it will be at my friend's place early next week for me to bring back to Canada. I was going to get 12oz, but in the end decided that I wanted to bring some tobacco from Peretti's and Owl back with me. Can anyone recommed some good English tobacco's from those shope to try and perhaps purchase? Oh, I love the Latakia, so no worries there. Aro's are not my friend, but willing to give a couple a try.
Does anyone know when or if Tropical Storm Andrea will pass by Boston? I have it at about 8am on Saturday and I land there about 10am.
I am pretty stoked about going to Boston and exploring the city and area as well as checking out these tobacco shops. Bringing just 2 pipes with me for this. One of the guys I will be meeting in Boston will be taking me to Owl Tobacco to check things out there, looks like he is going to be my smoking buddy while I am there, lol.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
slo - you are in for a treat! Owl Shop has Harkness Tower, and maybe St. John's. Peretti's has a whole bunch of great Englishes. Cambridge Flake is a bit like Anniversary, a bit of Lat in VA. Smith's Own is their Latbomb, but you may love Royal Blend and British Blend. An interesting Turkish is Tashkent - pretty unique. Oriental-forwards are Oriental 40 and Omega. Prince of Wales, Midnight and Devonshire are worth checking out too. They have several others, but they don't occupy my cellar.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.