PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Looking at a major brand pipe and comparing between my local pipe shop, where I first saw

this pipe, and the only online site where I see it offered, I came up with an interesting comparison.

The pipe shop guy where I've shopped over years, offered me a ten percent discount. Then I added

back my local and state sales tax. Then I compared that with the one site where I see this same pipe

offered and add shipping, which at this particular site is about $9. The difference is 84 cents in

favor of the online site. I consider the 84 cents a small price to pay for being able to see and handle

the actual pipe I am buying, and to keep my local shop in business in my small way, at least vote for

its continued availability. I've never been able to make quite this side-by-side comparison, but I was

interested how close the two were. These business men and woman are doing this math all the time,

and they get it about right. Because the pipe started quite high at my local shop, I thought it was no

contest, but then the owner offered me a discount. It makes me appreciate both sets of small business

people who are riveted to these figures as I can never be. Congrats to both. I still haven't categorically

decided to buy the pipe. Like all of us, I am not exactly short on pipes, but I thought the exercise was

worth reporting. 84 cents!

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I like to buy local whenever possible and that works well for anything say under $40 regarding pipes but after that the gap just keeps getting bigger. For instance a new Sav that might go on sale on P&C might go on sale for $70 bucks and the same one will still be $100+ at my B&M. It usually has to sit on the shelf unsold for about a year before there is any decrease. Not to mention online coupon codes that pop up and give me free shipping or 10% off. I like the store that's why I shop there and I buy most of my bulk there because that is always a good deal, but it's rare that I find a nice pipe for a good deal there.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting, teufelhund. That was my impression, and that's why I've bought at least half my pipes online.

That's why I was a little surprised to make this comparison. But I think you may be right in general. The

pipe shop owner kind of sidled up and offered the discount; otherwise he would be well above the online

price. Cynical guy that I am, I just assumed that he wanted to sell a pipe and decided to tip the balance a

little, but in fact, it probably did relate to my longtime "custom" there too. Online has the advantage of

allowing you to shop many more retail outlets and look at vastly more pipes ... in your pajamas. Still, being

able to look at, heft, and run a pipe cleaner through a pipe stem counts for quite a bit in terms of long term

satisfaction. I don't think all the case is on the side of the online folks. But the online retailers do some

real human relations things that impress me greatly and win a lot of my business. I've struck out every

time on coupons and free shipping online; once or twice, I've gotten online discounts.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
On a $200 pipe, I'd pay a $20-$25 premium over online just to be able to see and hold it in my hand. Unfortunately, on the very few new pipes I've bought, the gap was far more significant ($200 Tinksy, $350 at a shop that sold Tinksy's....) However this shop did give me a great deal on an estate Ashton, which I attribute to me being a regular customer. (and we've organized two "pipe nights" at this shop)

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
When I first joined the forum I was touting the need for all of us to shop at our local B&M because I am a B&M and that is what I am in business.
'Do what I say, not what I do".
The fact is that I buy pipes and tobacco exclusively online mainly due to the incredible taxes that exist in NY. I know that other states have similar punitive taxation and NY'ers are not alone. I feel bad about this. In NYC there are incredibly few tobacco establishments that are allowed to offer smoking on their premises. I try to frequent them as often as i can and purchase drinks/food or whatever when I and my friends can.
There is a place on 63rd street and York ave (NYC) where there is a smoking bar for cigars. I believe its called 'NY Merchants Cigar' I'm planning a group outing there with business associates and friends coming up in the next few weeks just to show support. Food and drinks are a little high, cigar prices are through the roof. But, I have to do it.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I'm rather lucky in where I live. There are 3 fantastic B&M location within a radius of about 10 miles from my home - each location's prices compare to online as far as pipes are concerned. One of them has quite an estate collection too. Another one has a great lounge.
I still buy most of my tobacco online, saves on the vice taxes, but I am obliged to return to Georgetown Tobacco for their house blends...which are rediculously good.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
i have only one real B&M in my town. I went in there 2 saturdays ago. 4, yes 4 guys behind the counter one pipe and 3 cigars puffing away. They all just kinda looked at me... Walked over to the tinned tobacco, and the guy was really kinda rude. I asked for a tin of FM Cellar, he pulled it down and rang it up... No "will that be all?", or anyting. It was $23, I can get the same tin online for $15, without the attitiude and supereiority complex. I'm not that young(42). As I was leaving I wandered over to their pipe display, and the guy came over and just stood there and watched me look at the pipes... they were in a case. I don't even have tattoos all over like Quincy :D ... But he never asked if I wanted to see anything, just stood there... Guess I'll have to drive into the big city. I just don't understand that at all. I too don't want to buy pipes sight unseen if they are even moderately expensive.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'm getting a bad case of PAD, but I think my next pipe purchase will be at the local B&M. The smoking lounge is well ventilated and congenial - you can converse with the other guys if you wish, or just quietly read. Personally, I'd feel a little weird taking along a pipe I'd bought online (ditto for tobacco, though that's slightly less obvious), so I'll eventually need an English/Lat and a Va/Per "shop pipe"... And the stuff I buy online I'll smoke at home.

balcifer

Lurker
Jul 9, 2013
I have to say when it comes to making a major purchase of a pipe I still like to hold that pipe and get the feel of it. And if it doesn't feel right I can always pick another model from the large pipe case my pipe shop has unlike ordering a pipe online. The best part of dealing with my local pipe shop he also makes special order since the pipe shop are also pipe makers. I would consider ordering tobacco online if I know that certain brands or blends are not available at the local shop.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I tried to buy local but I just wasn't able to find any kind of deals anywhere close to equal to what online prices are. Where I live there's 73% tax added to tobacco. Any pipes I've looked at were all $25-$45 MORE than the online price. If I add about 1-2lb of tobacco to an order with one pipe I still save even comparing prices plus shipping. Take for instance, I can buy 1 lb of tobacco online and a 1DOT Brigham pipe for about $70 + $30 (approx) for shipping compared to $65 just for the pipe plus 13% HST (Harmonized Sales Tax). If I was to purchase 1 lb of tobacco the cheapest I can get bulk for is $20 for 50g (1.75oz), it works out to around $200/lb + 13% HST (and that's for low grade house blends!). A 50g tin of Frog Morton Cellar is $56.85 + 13% HST (and I have to drive an hour one way to get it). I can order 4 tins + shipping and still be cheaper than one tin here plus my gas to get there and back lol.
For these reasons I WILL NOT buy local, no matter what.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I am willing to pay more to support local (I'm in South Dakota), but only to a reasonable extent. I know their hands are somewhat tied with taxes. I have one place locally, and while it caters to cigars, it has some pipe stuff. However, the selection of pipes is very low, and extremely high priced....probably approaching 30-50% higher than online.
Most of their tobacco is renamed bulk aromatics, and while I've had bulk aros from Lane that have been okay- everything I've tried from the local shop has been a dissapointment. They carry a few tins- maybe 5 choices, but are double the online cost- Nightcap was $19.99 last time I was there.
Insert disgruntled Canadian price comment *here* :)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I do try to buy most of my tobacco from B&M's, mostly because while I'm there, I'll enjoy the hospitality of their lounges. I'm willing to pay a little more for that privilege. Particularly in the winter months when it is too cold to smoke outside comfortably.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I have multiple very well stocked and friendly B&M's but they jut can't compete on tin prices. I will buy a few cigars or a single tin but any volume purchase requires going online. avg tin price are in the $13-14+ range, the same tin online $9 and no tax.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Not to mention selection. Unless the Brick and Mortar is Iwan Ries, it is probably no contest as far as pipes and tobacco are concerned.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Heres an idea of my local shop compared to online:

Pouch of Captain Black (1.5oz) in shop = $30

Pouch of Captain Black (1.5oz) online = $5.77
I don't even smoke Captain Black, but its a common tobacco and they carry it here. The other shop in town is a bit cheaper, but pouches and tins are anywhere from 3-5 times as much money. For instance, a 100g tin of W.Ø. Larson is 13 something online, in the shop in town that carries it its $60 to $65.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
My B&M prices are so low that it's usually cheaper than online since I never make very large purchases and shipping is always a killer. The only downside is the only person the manager trusts to pick his blends seems to only like Dunhill and MacBarren blends. He's got like 8 kinds of Dunhills and 40 differint Macbarren blends, that's it! I only buy Orlik, Samuel Gawith, and Esoterica blends right now, plus a few others that I buy one blend each from like CAO, McClelland, ect...
Ocasionally I get a tin of Moontrance or something, it was nice having the Dunhill's and Macbarren's so that I could decide I really didn't like them. The one thing I really do enjoy stocking up from them are those CAO flavored cigarillos, very nice long smokes, very cheap. I use e'm for the car.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Your local business is worth the few dollars difference. Besides, if you are like me, the week long wait for the truck to deliver my new, already paid for purchase, kills me. At the local shop, I have someone to talk to, ask questions, and see their facial expression when they answer my questions. As a previous "Customer Care Representative" I know the whiner on the phone can't see me signal to my co-worker to listen in as I roll my eyes and say "Really!? The stem fits too tight? That's terrible!!!"

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
The closest shop with pipe tobacco is about 40 minutes away. Sorry not driving almost an hour and a half to go to the tobacco shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.