PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I like a number of different shapes and sizes of pipes. But for the most part, they've mostly had one thing in common. They were bent. A bend in a pipe is pleasing to my eye. I like the way they flow. Now early on in my journey into pipe smoking, forum member Fnord sent me a straight Diebel to help me round out a seven day set. It was a small little pipe, compared to my others, and being a straight pipe, normally wouldn't have been something I would have looked twice at. But it's a good little smoker and I still have it and use it. In fact I really enjoy that pipe. But I still, regardless of that Diebel, wouldn't have looked twice at another straight. Fast forward a few years, and Moonshine puts out it's deviled egg shape. It's a bit of a beefy take on a devil anse with a good sized egg shaped bowl... a straight pipe, but something about the pipes had me constantly going back to look at them. I never thought in a million years I'd actually buy a pipe that wasn't bent. But finally one day I saw one that I had to have and ordered it. And now I have two, and want more. And I see similar pipes from other makers that appeal to me as well. And then there's the Peterson 999. I love my Petersons, but never cared for the Peterson 999 and so never thought I'd buy one. And then last years St. Patrick's Day pipes came out, and they didn't include the XL90 shape like they normally do. I had a few other choices, but decided on the 999 basically in spite of my not liking the shape. Dumb reason to order that one, but it worked in my favor. I was pleasantly surprised when I actually had it in hand. It's one of those shapes, I suppose, that photos don't do justice, and I fell in love with it when I actually had one person. Now I want more. The Savinelli 320... everyone is always talking about that ugly pipe! Honestly, I thought it was ugly. But so many people talk about how wonderful a smoker they are, I decided to give one a try. Again, another pipe that photos don't do justice. In hand and in person, they're beautiful pipes. And the big bowl feels very comfortable in the hand. And indeed they do smoke magically. Now I have two and want more. And I wouldn't mind having another one of those little Diebels either.
So tell me about pipes you might have purchased or were gifted, that you normally wouldn't have otherwise owned, but fell in love with once you did. What pipes, that would normally be outside your comfort zone have you fallen in love with, would not part with, or want more of?

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I also have a pipe gifted to me by @ashdigger, a cool little Meer Zulu, I was not expecting it but I luv Zulu's, but I never had any Meer pipes before this one, now I have 4 that I smoke

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm very much a stand British shape traditionalist and all of my pipes have specific shape numbers or style. The Al Pascia Curvy somehow caught my eye and once in hand, I've come to love this pipe, the shape and how it smokes. But it sticks out on my racks like nothing else!
image hosting free

I used to say that I had never seen a volcano or poker pipe that I liked, but then I met Brad Rowley, who showed me his version of a poker...

IMG_0565-copy.JPG

And, now every time I walk in The Briary with it, I have to eat my words. I have even seen a few volcanoes recently that I like. But, I think I will no longer be saying that there is a genre of shape that I don't like, ha ha. Eating my words day after day... they get old. :puffy:

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've never liked metal pipes like the Falcon, they always looked kind of cheap and gimmicky to me. I ended up getting one in an eBay deal, and after cleaning it up and giving it a try, I was surprised how well it smoked. It's a number 2, which I guess is made in the US because that's all that's stamped on it. I've tried it both with a bit of pipe cleaner in the bottom, and without, and even without it didn't gurgle. I'm still getting used to how it feels in the hand, and the bit feels like it's made of something other than vulcanite, but I was still surprised how much I like smoking it.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I didn't care for Bulldogs/Rhodesians but somehow I've accumulated 23. Canadian's for some reason just didn't seem right, I don't know why, just wrong. I'm now up to 10. :crazy:

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Funny thing; when I first starting piping, I gravitated toward smaller bowl bent or 3/4 bent pipes. Straight pipes did not seem to strike my fancy.
Now my collection is more traditional billiard and chimney designs including a Lovat, Bing shape and pure Billiard. I've only just recently purchased my first 2 Bulldogs (in the last month). I have found that I enjoy the straight pipe more than my old bents.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I guess I'm a bit of a stick in the mud. I don't care for any of the artsy styles that you don't find in the Dunhill shape chart. Blowfish do nothing for me for example. I can look at pipes like that and acknowledge the skill and art involved...I just don't want to smoke one.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I only like straight pipes. Actually straight pipes between 4 1/2 inches and 5 1/2 inches. I love the look and feel of bent pipes but they are just not my thing. It's quite sad because I've had some gorgeous bent pipes come through my collection, but if I don't smoke it, I either gift it, sell it or in extreme cases throw it out the truck window in some remote part of Nevada.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I like many of the classic shapes but there are an endless number of freehand designs I like as well. I like all pipes that are artful, stylish and tastefully done, except cobs, I like them too but mainly for their utilitarian function, though some of them can be attractive.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Closest thing I have is pipe sizes/weights.

For the first couple years, weight didn't matter to me and I sought out pipes 7 to 8+ inches long.

While I still prefer straights, I rarely go over 6.5" and 1.5oz.
I purposefully went outside my norm when I commissioned the reverse calabash from Scottie. That was less about aesthetics though..more about physics.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Tim Thorpe offered me a hawkbill at a nice price. I don't normally like much bend or the shape in general, but his looked different, so I took him up on the offer. Wow, boy am I glad that I did. Nice little flake smoker, and I forget that it is even in my mouth the way that it hangs. It's tiny and that really comes in handy sometimes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's happened to me several time. The ones I remember first are gifts from my wife, my first churchwarden (Sav 601) and my first Hungarian/Oom Paul (Sav Hurcules). I'd looked at both from time to time but they seemed too far a reach, but once in hand, they seemed like old friends. The churchwarden is an expert with English blends, among others, and the Hungarian perfect with Semois and burley blends. A gift pipe gives you a chance to try something you wouldn't buy, and in my case, this works out well.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I'm sure we all have different "essential criteria" for our pipes. Number one on my list is that they must be sitters. I have three that aren't, including two clays - I hardly use them. They smoke fine, but it's just too annoying not being able to sit them down safely wherever you happen to be.
So far I haven't been won over by any non-sitters, and think it's highly unlikely I will buy any more. It has proven to be such an important aspect for me. Aside from this, I don't really have any other "comfort zones", and I'm happy to consider all manner of pipes providing I can put the bugger down without peripheral equipment.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I used to hate Prince shaped pipes. Now I am hunting one. It's got to have a bit of a curve though. Other than that, it has been the opposite for me. When I first stated smoking a pipe I acquired an Oom Paul, a couple of Danish freehands, and an acorn. I came to hate them and have now sold or gifted them all. I haven't had any Canadians (they look funny and uncomfortable to me) or blowfishes or Devil Anses or Reverse Calabashes, and I doubt I ever will. I think they are all funny, ugly shapes, but to each his own. I like the classics, especially Billiards, Dublins, and Apples. Boring? Maybe, but there you have it. Bent or straight, it doesn't matter, as long as it passes a cleaner and I don't want to have to take one apart to clean it. Hence, no System Pipes. Filters suck! I just got my first Meerschaum pipe (IMP) and now I want another one... or two. Classically shaped, of course.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Not averted to any pipes in general. But I don't think I'd smoke a figural meer anywhere but in my home. Seems a bit over the top.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm loving all the replies on this thread. It's interesting how our taste in pipes changes. Or for that matter, it's interesting how our taste in pipes may hold true regardless, but yet somehow we end up with and love some shapes we normally wouldn't have bothered trying. Another shape I'm not fond of is the bulldog. I love some rhodesians, but the diamond shank of the bulldog really isn't to my liking. However, I've lately seen a few bent bulldogs that I actually do think are quite nice. A bulldog might be making its way into my rotation soon.
Al, I love the look of those Al Pascia Curvys... I don't know why. I can't help but think I should hate them. But every time I see one, I feel like I should own one lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.