PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Perhaps this deserves a bump for new members like myself. I had noticed some of my flakes smoked better in a wide prince than in a tapered bowl. Which seemed strange. So I went looking and found this great blog post by G.L.Pease on tobacco's and shapes.
Article here
Thanks Mr. pease

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I now have 6 pipes the newest a Stanwell 211. It is a small pipe, and I choose it for flakes. One flake fits nicely and it burns smooth and cool all the way to the bottom. I may have to relight it two times but the flavor is clearly better in this pipe. The same flake in my bull dog I need to keep relighting and now compared to the stanwell, will not be my pipe for flakes. I will reserve it for other blends. Both of these pipes have no problems with a gurgle while my other more "affordable" pipes have gurgle issues.
I recently smoked a basket pipe of mine and found it wanted me to smoke slower. It is a decent pipe but has its personality quirks. For $30 I do not worry about the finnish and feel just fine tossing it in the boat or car as a beater pipe. I do not treat it as nicely as my Stanwell or Butz Choquin.
Each pipe seems to have a personality and like girl friends each wants to be treated differently. Some are suited to staying at home for quiet evenings, while others want to be taken out on the town. My Graybow likes to be treated rough and taken fishing. :wink:
Good article Mr. Pease. What I like about pipe smoking is that you learn as you go. Like fishing, rules are not set in stone and tweaking your approach can lead you to success or a more enjoyable time. Both require an open mind, quiet reflection on what you are experiencing. Speeding up or slowing down can make a big difference.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Well i luv brighams but..... One of my brigs is an older mountaineer that looks like a prince. I simple hate it with a passion. Baccy seems to burn away at an excellerated rate no matter what type i use. Maybe it would serve wonderfully as a flake pipe. Maybe thats what i'll use if i ever git to try 1792 flake.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've been using my Aran 268 for flakes. As stated before, one flake fits perfectly in it and smokes great. Probably get a few more 268's in different styles and use them mostly for flakes. Other than that I smoke pretty much whatever in whichever shape I feel inclined to smoke at the time.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I agree, Marc. I have a narrow-bowl Ropp cherrywood that will eat up a good pack in 20 minutes. My Charatan, with a nice big pot, seems to last for hours. Both have their uses. Sometimes, I just feel like a quick pipe break.

Status
Not open for further replies.