PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
after some trouble with a pipe that has a long stem and small bowl (seemed to always smoke wet and take a long time to dry) and after some experimenting i decided english blends work ok with it. not sure if it's because it's still breaking in or just what the pipe's shape makes it work best with what tobacco.
anyway, i thought i'd ask the experts if they have any guidelines for best pipe and tobacco pairings.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I've found that broad, shallow bowls work better for aros. That's just my experience, but in deeper pipes, I have a lot of moisture problems. I like VaPers in more narrow, deep bowls.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Many people find that aros and latakia blends work better in larger bowls - lets the blends realize a fuller potential. )Of course, that would probably work better with a good aro that was not loaded with glop to keep it "moist".) I tend to follow that school of thought. :puffy:

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I usually have an idea, based irrationally on aesthetics, what tobacco I'd like to smoke from a pipe before I buy the pipe. I try the preferred combination and see what I think. If I was wrong I try something else and again and again till I find what the pipe likes.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have read somewhere that tall narrow bowls are good for flake tobaccos, and my experience seems to confirm that. After that, mostly, I have found no preference.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Cut and moisture seem to have more of a bearing IMO over blend type.

A moist flake in a "flake pipe", the narrow deep bowl, will ultimately end up with excessive moisture at the end of the smoke for me. The same moist flake in a wider bowl won't have the same issues.
Shags in the small pipes, narrow and not deep, the course ribbon, broken flake or cube cuts I like in wider shallow bowls.

I may decide what pipe the "Regular" ribbon cuts will go in by moisture more than type. The dryer the blend the deeper the bowl, wetter equals wider.
And those are really broad strokes because in reality I usually end up smoking anything in everything! (-;

Status
Not open for further replies.