Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhat84

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2014
Hi guys, I've been anonymous for over 2 months ready g everything I can about pipe Smoking and I must add I've learned so much, now I must ask something that's been boggling me. When Smoking a pipe and letting burnout, how much much time can I let it alone, I'm used to Smoking and leave it a minute, but what would happen if I left it for hours, could I smoke the tobacco in the bowl or after certain hours it has to be thrown away??

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Welcome to the forums.
I've heard many that set their pipes down for several hours and come back to it. Its one of the better aspects of pipe smoking.

blackhat84

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2014
Nice... But does that create ghosting on a pipe?
Ps. Thanks for the welcome :puffy:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Not any more so than if you smoked the entire bowl in one sitting.
By the way... welcome aboard. :wink:

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I find that depending on the tobacco the returning smoke can be acrid. I really don't enjoy returning to a pipe but I know many do this and have no problems.

tlag77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I will smoke half a bowl on the way into work and then finish it on the way home. No problem.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Welcome!
Last night I was in the mood for a bowl of Newminster 23 Blackberry Brandy but after having eaten spicy sausage for dinner it tasted like crap. I put it out and left sitting overnight. This morning, with my coffee, it was an outstanding smoke!
Pipe smoking... few rules, just right!

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
There is actually a name for this and some use it as a method to enhance their smoking experience. It is called DGT (Delayed Gratification Technique). Light the pipe, let it go out, come back to it later. Basic premise. I find it works best with straight virginias.
No reason to dump it out. If it still tastes good to you, smoke it. This is all about enjoyment after all.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I agree with the other guys on this, one of the great perks to the pipe smoking hobby. Sure as heck won't get the same results doing this with a cigar!
Edit: Welcome to the fold, my friend!!!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Welcome aboard blackhat84.
I personally rest my pipes for a few minutes a couple of times during a smoke, just to keep the bowl cool. I'm sure I wouldn't have to do this if I could slow my cadence just slightly, but it also serves to enjoy the moment without always having to concentrate on the pipe.
Once I couldn't finish a bowl 'til the next day but at the last minute I decided to dump it in favor of another blend I'd been hankering to smoke.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
welcome to the forums.Ive done this a lot and so far haven't experienced anything nasty.But i try to run a cleaner down there first but i don't do it all the time.It hasn't really posed any problems so far.Could be just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.