PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

them4chef

Lurker
Oct 23, 2018
Hi folks, I've been looking at the selection of pipes on amazon, it seems to be the easiest shop online for me in canada since I'm not local to any brick and mortar shops, are there any recommendations from either peterson or Savinelli for a newbie pipe? I'm looking to spend up to 150.00 cdn. I've been using estate pipes but would like to get something new.

Unless there are any recommended vendors that will ship to canada.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
As with any purchase, shop and compare. There are often sales on spectacular pipes, so shop around. My experience says Amazon prices are high, but a deal is a deal wherever you find it. Keep in mind shipping costs and exchange rates as well. Check the site sponsors:
Al Pascia

BollitoPipe.it

Blue Room Briars

BriarWorks USA

Danish Pipe Shop

LePipe.it

Milan Tobacconists

Missouri Meerschaum

Mkelaw-Pipes.com

Mr. Brog Pipes

Pipes2Smoke.com

PipesandCigars.com

PipeStud.com

SmokingPipes.com

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
Most the sponsor companies on the left column will ship to Canada. I'm in Montreal and have purchased several pipes from smokingpipes.com. They have new and refurbished estate pipes and their selection is huge. Use their pipe locator tool and you'll spend a lot of time there. They have much more variety than Amazon.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
To echo the above posts...
I recently purchased a Peterson Spigot on Smokingpipes.com that, if I remember correctly, was about $166.00 USD. On Amazon, the same pipe was $229 USD. There were several other instances where the amazon prices were 20-40% higher than the specialty online retailers like SmokingPipes and PipesandCigars.
The one exception is the Mr. Brog brand. Their Amazon store has VERY competitive pricing, and I'm not sure it's worth the time to shop around. (Mr Brog isn't for everyone, but I have a few, and I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of their pipes).
As mentioned, these guys are very familiar with shipping to Canada.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I’m opinionated, but I would strongly suggest going with one of the site sponsors. They support the pipe smoking in many ways, while Amazon is very politically opposed to all things tobacco.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
tobaccopipes.com ships to Canada. High duties are only for tobacco. Pipes' import duties are similar to HST, if they get assessed at all. I once bought a pipe from Pfeifenkonsulat.at that was just waived through by customs.
I'd go with a reputable reseller like the ones mentioned here over amazon.ca vendors.

them4chef

Lurker
Oct 23, 2018
Thanks for the info you guys. Smokingpipes.com seems to have a very comprehensive selection.
On the topic of USA tobacco, is it worth buying from the states? Or is it even possible by mail order. I got a tin each of mac baren vanilla cream, petersons sweet killarney and dunhill early morning blend and it was 190.00cdn

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are some real authorities on the subject of shipping tobacco from the U.S. on Forums, familiar with the customs process. It seems that ordering from the U.S. can be punitive on customs, but that some retailers fill out the paperwork so it is not as much of a problem. But I'll let our experts speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.