PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
In a recent post I said I found useful to leave free space at the bottom of the bowl as it gives a better smoke. This is not easy to accomplish if for packing of the bowl it is used what I would call the "palm method" of packing the pipe, basically rotating the pipe turned upside down over a tobacco filled palm.

I found with the palm method very useful using brass screen pipes to leave free space at the bottom of the bowl. This could induce a lot of controversy and I also have the problem with the stigma associated with these screens which are mainly used for other “non tobacco” smoking. However, they work very well, they are flexible to adapt well to the pipe, they don't burn or break and they make possible to create a free space at the bottom of the bowl with no effort. As they are also sold in respectable tobacco only retailers I would assume that someone is buying them. Any who could share their experience?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was always afraid of drawing in tiny pieces of metal. If you want the bottom of the bowl free, you could try the air pocket or cannon ball packing methods.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I bought an estate pipe with one in it once. I tried it for a bit but found it annoying, so I took it out.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[I was always afraid of drawing in tiny pieces of metal. If you want the bottom of the bowl free, you could try the air pocket or cannon ball packing methods.]
Even reusing multiple times good quality ones do not break out at all. Thing is that I mastered and love packing with the bowl turned upside down rotating on the palm so I have limited options to achieve free bottom bowl and screens are very effective on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.