Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pipe Rotation...Be honest

(60 posts)
  1. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does any one rotate thei pipe, if so, or if not please explain your routine. Thanks

Congress seems to believe that 'Children are our future' is a phrase coined by tobacco advertisers.
    Jef I. Richards
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. juni

juni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Of course I rotate, a bowl is best from a well rested and dry pipe. I don't have a set order but any pipe gets to rest at least 3 to 4 days.

If I get a new pipe it will be smoked more as it is now the "favorite". But even then I let the pipe rest at least a day between smokes.

I think pipes are individuals and you can usually tell when a pipe needs to be let alone for a while.

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. seanz

seanz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In all honesty, no i dont i decide what i want to smoke out of and go for it. As i have a small collection the choice is somewhat taken away from me. sometimes i will smoke the same pipe all day(though i do let it rest between smokes) and some days i might not.

New Zealand
    Peter Piper.
    Give me the weed, the fragrant weed, My wearied brain to calm; In a wreath of smoke, while I crack my joke, I'll find a healing balm.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have about 2 dozen different pipes. I don't have any set rotation really. I pick up which ever one catches my eye at te moment...however I usually do not smoke the same pipe more than once a day.

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. sherlock

sherlock

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do rotate in that I don't usually smoke the same pipe twice in a row, but I often smoke the same couple pipes through out the day.

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. surfmac211

surfmac211

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ive been traveling for work the last server months, but I still rotate between the 4 to 6 pipes I bring. It helps with a sweeter smoke if you let them rest a bit. That being said I might smoke one pipe for a couple days in a row, but I will let it rest for the same amount of days that I smoked it.

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. bambam

bambam

Login to Send PM

I have about a dozen pipes and I pretty much just grab whatever one catches my eye at that time. I try to let them rest but if its the one well then its the one.

Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.
    (Robert Kennedy)
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. cyndi

cyndi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I try not to smoke the same pipe 2 days in a row, but I'm pretty flexible if a certain pipe/tobacco combo is calling my name.

Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back! Wife or no, you are no one's property to be tossed aside. You got the right same as anyone to live and try to kill people.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It has taken me several months, but I now have a vast collection of seven briars, and a couple of cobs. I usually smoke only one bowl a day, but when I smoke more I use a second pipe. I also do not smoke the same pipe two days in a row. Beyond that I smoke whichever pipe I feel like. It sometimes depends on which tobacco I want to smoke.
    So each pipe rests between two days and a week between smokes.

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. withnail

withnail

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently changed the way I rotate my pipes. Before, I smoked each one once a day. Now I pick a couple of pipes (One large and one smaller) and smoke them all day. They then get left for a couple of days.

Albert Einstein said "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs"
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lately I've just been smoking my meer.

In a society that has destroyed all adventure, the only adventure left is to destroy that society.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    Posted 7 years ago #
  12. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

Well as I'm still a greenhorn, I only have a few pipes, and I like to smoke them so it's hard for me to let them rest for 24hrs but I do.

I have a Brigham, Blatter & Blatter and a cob. I'm trying to rotate the two briars so I smoke one a day, and the cob is whenever I just want to have a bowl.

I have another cob on the way, so that'll get added somewhere.

Posted 7 years ago #
  13. juni

juni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always thought meers needed more rest than briars since the material is more porous. I could be wrong.

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dont really have a set rotation either. I have certain pipes that take certain cuts of tobacco better, for instance, my Uncle Arthur pipe is particular to flakes, and I have a gigantic Irish Seconds that is partial to ribbon cut. Ill smoke the pipe best on which cut I want to smoke and which pipe will work best with it. As much as I smoke, my pipes almost always get rest for 24 hours before I smoke them again, which, I think, is really all they need.

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I pick out a pipe and smoke it.

Posted 7 years ago #
  16. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

How do I rotate my pipes? Clockwise.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 7 years ago #
  17. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll usually pick out a couple and smoke them all day, and then give them a day or two off. There are times however that I have smoked the same pipe several days in a row.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

francois1

Login to Send PM

I rotate my pipes but i find that certain pipes seem to leen better towards
    a particular blend i only use peterson tobacco is there any particular reason why
    say luxury blend is a better flavour in my DR PLUMB as to if i use a savanelli
    pipe
    david (SCOTLAND)
    ps/i use 4 different brands of peterson brands

Posted 7 years ago #
  19. jcsnaps

jcsnaps

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll pick a pipe, smoke it for the day, then put it in the "to clean" pile. When the pile gets too big I do a cleaning session, let them rest and then put them back in the rack for another go around. Have a few pipes and sometimes the cleaning pile gets to a dozen or so, but it is nice to always have a fresh start for the day.

Posted 7 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I use two pipes a day on a three day rotation (6 pipes) and I have 5 different (6) pipe rotations.

Posted 7 years ago #
  21. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I maintain a pretty strict rotation - actually, twin rotation, because I have a latakia rotation and a va/burley rotation.
    I smoke no more than two bowls, over two days, in a pipe. Then I let it rest for 10-14 days.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 7 years ago #
  22. buckeye

buckeye

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

well i got 5 pipe racks and two shelf's filled with pipes.
    just grab a different one each day and go.

smokin my homemade rustic pipe. don`t get any better.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  23. colorduke

colorduke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke my grabow lark just about everyday,if im home i'll pull a different 1 everytime i fire up.

I will give up my pipe when they pry my cold dead fingers off of it!
    Posted 7 years ago #
  24. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have about 5 regular pipes that i rotate so its rare if i smoke the same pipe twice, and if i feel like a second bowl i use a second pipe.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  25. olderthandirt

OTD

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope.
    Closest I come to rotation is attempting to let each pipe dry between bowls.
    Aside from that nothing set, no routine, pick a pipe and smoke it (-:

Snus, snuff and briar.
    Not much more required in a day.
    Brian from Oregon USA
    Posted 7 years ago #
  26. riptide

Charles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually just grab the pipe that grabs my attention but i do have pipes for different types of tobacco.

Charles D. Wilemon
    Posted 7 years ago #
  27. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think pipes are individuals and you can usually tell when a pipe needs to be let alone for a while.

+1
    I'll smoke one most of the day,I have 18 that I use so drying is no big thing for Me.

U.S.M.C. (SEMPER FI)
    Posted 7 years ago #
  28. chispa

chispa

Login to Send PM

I'm a cob guy and I usually load up a few and put a cut down wine cork in the end so the tobacco won't fall out. I'll take two or three with me when I go out for the day usually with a different blend in each. If I get half through and put one down I might stuff it full again without emptying or do two bowls in a row in the same cob. Doesn't seem to make a difference.. for cobs anyway.

<<insert witty signature here>>
    Posted 7 years ago #
  29. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Doesn't seem to make a difference.. for cobs anyway.

From what I have heard, cobs love abuse.

Posted 7 years ago #
  30. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally i pick one pipe a day, ive been told m=by my pipe mentors that it doenst matter how many times a day you smoke a pipe, it is how many days in a row, what i understand is that you go no more than two days in a row, and you let it reast about 12 hours per bowl smoked at minimum, preferably 24 hours per bowl smoked

Posted 7 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

When I'm breaking in a new pipe I'll smoke that same pipe all day, every day for a week at a time, letting it rest overnight, a pipe will let you know when it needs to be rested and like the old saying goes... a well smoked pipe will always smoke better than a well rested pipe... don't get all caught up in that hype about how long you have to rest a pipe by how many bowls you smoked that day etc., there is no secret formula, just plain old common sense, basic pipe maintenance and a couple of pipes to rotate through over a few days.

Posted 7 years ago #
  32. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a couple that stay within reach to smoke when I feel like it.
    I'll also grab a couple-three off the rack and put them in my three pipe holder and smoke them for a few days.
    Then I'll put those back and grab a couple-three more and smoke them for a few days... ad infinitum.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 7 years ago #
  33. bambam

bambam

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure about this whole resting/rotating thing, my grandfather smoked the same 2 pipes everyday for as long as I can remember. One was his "inside" pipe and the other for outside. He didn't seem to have any problems. I think its a matter of choice.

Posted 7 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

In my opinion, most times just an overnight rest is all a pipe needs to be ready for service the next day.

Posted 7 years ago #
  35. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I don't have a set rotation, but I'll let one alone for awhile if I did a serious cleaning on it (with everclear etc. as opposed to just running a cleaner through). I typically smoke the same pipe every day at work and pick from the others when I'm home. IfI'm just sitting around I'll use the meer. If I'm walking, I'll pick one that I'm comfortable clenching and doesn't take so long to smoke.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 7 years ago #
  36. tabriar

TAB

Login to Send PM

Yup! Eventually, you'll have so many pipes it would be crazy not to rotate. That being said, I may smoke a pipe several times in one day.

Posted 7 years ago #
  37. pipetrucker

pipetrucker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, I don't have any regular rotation. Sometimes I smoke the same pipe all day long, sometimes I smoke several different ones. I do have certain pipes that get smoked a lot more often than some others, but they all get smoked sooner or later. I just grab whichever pipe I feel like smoking at the time.

Mason

And though it is much to be a nobleman, it is more to be a gentleman. - Anthony Trollope
    Posted 7 years ago #
  38. dylan793

Dylan

Login to Send PM

No rotation here. Although, my pipes get at least a day of rest between smokes. Other than that, it's whichever one suits my fancy depending on what I feel like smoking and how much time I have to smoke.

Posted 7 years ago #
  39. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 7 pipes. Would work welll for one a day, but often turns into these three today. Then tomorrow, since I really like A and B I'll swap C for D and keep A and B. The next day might be A, B, and E. Eventually I'll let my favorites rest a day or two, but out of my seven its clear which one collect dust vs. which collect cake!

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 7 years ago #
  40. macnutz

macnutz

Login to Send PM

ha, I don't have enough pipes to have a rotation yet.

Posted 7 years ago #
  41. portascat

portascat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have about 15 pipes. I smoke about 7 of them.

All my regular smokers are straight, other than a bent aldo.

Half my smokers are "heavy" pipes, the rest are "light". This is purely a personal distinction. A heavy is for English, a light is for aromatic. Typically 1q Or BCA.

That is my rotation. I smoke whatever pipe catches my eye for that smokes blend. I try not to smoke a "wet" pipe, and the all get cleaned about once a week. Otherwise, no cleaning other than removing dottle and blowing out the bowl.

"To seek freedom is the only driving force I know. Freedom to fly off into that infinity out there."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  42. pipeinhand

pipeinhand

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have put all my pipes in an Excel spread sheet and as I smoke them I add a new cell for the date/time. Then I do a custom built bit of VB code to determine the least smoked pipe compared to my input of tobacco smoked in them as not to get a pipe that will ghost an old tobacco. Then I compare this to another spread sheet of the least smoked tobaccos and choose the tobacco and pipe for each bowl. OK, not true, I just grab what fancy's me.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of
    anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
    nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    Posted 7 years ago #
  43. seakayak

seakayak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I currently have 21 pipes entrusted to my care. I occasionally smoke the same one two days in a row out of sheer laziness, but generally clean yesterday's pipe thoroughly each morning and choose another based on bowl size vs. available smoking hours. Sometimes I choose one based on style. My rule of thumb is "one day of rest for each bowl smoked the day before". This rule, as most pipe rules, is flexible.

Posted 7 years ago #
  44. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have put all my pipes in an Excel spread sheet and...
    Then tomorrow, since I really like A and B I'll swap C for D and keep A and B.
    on a three day rotation (6 pipes) and I have 5 different (6) pipe rotations.
    The next day might be A, B, and E.
    I'll also grab a couple-three off the rack and... Then I'll put those back...
    Then I compare this to another spread sheet of...

Some assembly may be required.

Do we have a plan B?!?

Posted 7 years ago #
  45. clanobucklin

clanobucklin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have almost 200 pipes in my collection - so rotation is just a fact of life. Like baskerville I just pick up a pipe and smoke it. One way to choose a pipe is to sniff the bowl - if smells wet or funky - let it dry out for a while longer. A pipey smell might indicate that it needs to rest more - a real funky smell - means you need to clean your pipe - with some alcohol and pipe cleaners - then let it rest.

Posted 7 years ago #
  46. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

I have almost 200 pipes in my collection - so rotation is just a fact of life. Like baskerville I just pick up a pipe and smoke it. One way to choose a pipe is to sniff the bowl - if smells wet or funky - let it dry out for a while longer. A pipey smell might indicate that it needs to rest more - a real funky smell - means you need to clean your pipe - with some alcohol and pipe cleaners - then let it rest.

Hey, you're back. WOW 200 pipes? Can I be put in your Last Will & Testament?

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  47. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I get home from work, the 5 or 6 pipes I had on the rig get cleaned and put away, then I pull out a random pipe for each smoke I have the first day home. Those are my pipes for the week, then rinse and repeat for the next week with another random set. I have one or two that I favor, so those might see more use than the others. 61 pipes and counting, lol.

Posted 7 years ago #
  48. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have between 80 and 90 pipes divided up on various racks by country of origin (yes, WAY too organized). For the last year or so I've been mostly collecting pipes by North American carvers, so those are the pipes I've been going to lately.

Posted 7 years ago #
  49. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I currently have 10 pipes in the collection and have a rotation of sorts, although not strict. I typically won't smoke a pipe more than one day in a row, but typically smoke two bowls. My Ferndown has pretty much become my Sunday pipe, as it hangs just right for reading the morning paper (and is too big to travel).
    A new pipe gets broken in over 4-5 days, than rested.

I'm pretty good at regular cleaning after use. They always get a cleaner through them and a paper towel wipe to keep the cake minimal.

As a frequent traveler, pipes that fit in my single bag get the most use and I tend to look at pipes in that size. I travel with three things - my pillow, pipe and a book. It's pretty comforting to have an old friend along for an overnight. My largeish suitcase always draws comments from colleagues until they see my pillow takes up 90% of the room. I do have a multiple pipe bag, but just use that for vacations.

Al

Posted 7 years ago #
  50. dubinthedam

dubinthedam

Login to Send PM

I have about 70 plus, and I smoke about 50 of those regular. To be honest I really couldn't manage with anything less than 25 pipes and I mainly smoke one blend of VA.

A Dubliner in Amsterdam just doing his thing on Youtube.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

You know, now that I think about it I have been smoking pipes over 35 years now and I don't ever remember getting a pipe smoker rules book when I started smoking a pipe...

Posted 7 years ago #
  52. yohanan

yohanan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm like a lot of others here, I smoke whatever pipe whenever, sometimes all day, sometimes not.

Smoke What You Like, And Like What You Smoke...Regardless Of What Anyone Else Thinks...
    Posted 7 years ago #
  53. jship079

jship079

Login to Send PM

I think people get carried away with all of the resting. The old pipers had a couple pipes if they were lucky and smoked them until it was time for a new one. The pipe is just a tool to enjoying the baccy. I would not smoke 10 pipes a day for a week straight but I don't care I just get what pipe and tobacco I fell like smoking at that time and sit down and enjoy it does not matter if I just smoke it once twice or five times a day for the last three days or not.

Posted 7 years ago #
  54. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jship, you could be right about getting carried away with resting pipes. But when you have more than a certain number of pipes, "resting" just takes care of itself.

I do disagree that "The pipe is just a tool", or at least some pipes are.

Posted 7 years ago #
  55. igloo

igloo

Beware Trouble Maker

Login to Send PM

I use a scientific algorithm based on Einsteins theory of time or eeny meeny miny mo .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 7 years ago #
  56. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

I think if the pipe is of better or best quality, you can smoke it more often. The cheaper the pipe, the more careful you need to be. Just my mentality, but I'm a noob, so what do I know.

Posted 7 years ago #
  57. whitebriar

whitebriar

Login to Send PM

I think people get carried away with all of the resting. The old pipers had a couple pipes if they were lucky and smoked them until it was time for a new one. The pipe is just a tool to enjoying the baccy. I would not smoke 10 pipes a day for a week straight but I don't care I just get what pipe and tobacco I fell like smoking at that time and sit down and enjoy it does not matter if I just smoke it once twice or five times a day for the last three days or not.

agreed

cobs, old briars, and burley
    Posted 7 years ago #
  58. User has not uploaded an avatar

smokey422

Login to Send PM

I have around 30 pipes but only 14 or 15 that get smoked on a regular basis. I don't have a set rotation but usually don't smoke a pipe more than once a day. I've never had a pipe go sour on me but I think a big factor in that is that I clean them after every smoke with a cleaner with the tip soaked in Everclear. Some pipes in my collection do seem to need a bit more rest. For instance, my Bing's Favorite with its' thin walls heats up pretty easily and retains that heat longer after the smoke. My Jan Zeman, on the other hand, thrives on smoking. So does my A.N.D. meer and my Savinelli Duca Carlo. I agree with what has been said about the old timers. Many of them had only one pipe and smoked it all day long.

Smokey

Posted 7 years ago #
  59. macnutz

macnutz

Login to Send PM

I used to know a lot of old farmers who all had one pipe that they smoked every day. However, those were some pretty rancid pipes. Hazmat stuff, or so it seemed.

After Christmas I shall have six cobs and two briars. I do plan to give the briars some rest to insure longevity but I doubt that I will ever have a regular rotation. For me, my pipes really are just tools for burning baccy, only because I choose to be afflicted with TAD rather than PAD. That may change if my agent sells the latest novel.

Some of the beauties I've been looking at would never be considered "just tools" by anyone, but Petes and cobs do not a 'collection' make.

Posted 7 years ago #
  60. spyder71

Spyder

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I choose two pipes for the day and the next morning I sweeten them with rum. I only try to make sure they rest for at least a day but it is usually a few days. I have no rhyme nor reason as to why, it worked out that way.

"I used to cry because I had no shoes. Until I met a man who had no feet"- My favorite and I use it to get by...

Support The Epilepsy Awareness Foundation!
    Posted 7 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cortezattic, peckinpahhombre, timt, jeff540, pappymac, lasttango, celticbrewer, ray47