PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tblanco

Lurker
Dec 8, 2012
Ok, I have read plenty of times how you should let your briar rest at least a day, but two is better before you come back to it. Does this mean that you can only smoke one bowl a day out of the same pipe or can I reload after letting it cool? I'm planning a trip with my buddies and I'm pretty sure I will smoke at least three bowls a day. I know I can pack a Cobb but I love my briars.

Jul 15, 2011
Ask 100 different people this, youll get 100 different answers. Me personally? I only use a pipe once in a day, then let is rest for a day or two depending on which pipe it is, because I have found that some pipes need to rest more than others. As long as your pipe is completely cooled and you give it at least a rudimentary cleaning between bowls, I don't see how it would hurt anything, but that's just me. Hardcore purists will probably tell you not to do this, but its really all about what you're comfortable with. I could do this with some of my "work" or "beater" pipes because I wouldnt be all that heart broken if they went funky, and even if a pipe does go funky on you, there are ways to fix that. I say give it a shot and see how it works for you.

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
Regaress of your normal rotation, I think you are fine over-smoking your pipes for a few days while traveling. Just give them a good cleaning and rest them when you get home. In my experience, pipes don't get sour/nasty unless you really overdo it for quite a while.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I don't think it's the same across the board. Not all pipes are the same, not everyone is as thorough in their cleaning, etc. Also the humidity of the area, etc. etc, all play a role.
For ex., just yesterday I picked up a pipe I hadn't touch in 4 days (and only smoked it once or twice previously), and the first puff was nasty. I was very surprised. I thought I cleaned it enough.
Lately I have been using more pipe cleaners (3-5, instead of my usual 2, especially on my favs). I think an important factor is to remove not just any staining, but also any and all moisture.
This will IMHO speed up the resting required.

l8rt8r

Lurker
Mar 5, 2013
I watched first hand my father smoke the same pipe day after day, 3 or 4 fills a day and it never rested. Never complained ever about taste at all and used it like a carpenter uses a hammer. After a few years of abuse and chewing the ends off the stem, he parked it and bought a new one. He was no collector, just loved smokin his pipe.

So do what you will with the info, but I don't think your gonna wound it if you smoke it more than once a week!

l8rt8r

Lurker
Mar 5, 2013
I watched first hand my father smoke the same pipe day after day, 3 or 4 fills a day and it never rested. Never complained ever about taste at all and used it like a carpenter uses a hammer. After a few years of abuse and chewing the ends off the stem, he parked it and bought a new one. He was no collector, just loved smokin his pipe.

So do what you will with the info, but I don't think your gonna wound it if you smoke it more than once a week!

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Totally agree with I8rt8r..Smoke it up. Personally I will smoke the same one all day,sometimes two days, then let it rest. Never had any bad smokes.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I smoke one pipe all day (normally 3 bowls) and then let it rest for a week. I've done this for 20 years and have never had a pipe go sour, burn out, or go bad in any way. Most of the men in my family smoked pipes in just the same way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, my dad chain smoked his pipes for decades, and only one at a time, no rotation. Not recommended.

But I think three or four pipes for a trip, smoking one a day, would do fine. Dry them out for a week or two

when you get home. A few bowls of tobacco a day in one pipe will go okay, I'd say. It depends on the pipe,

the ambient humidity where you are going, and your smoking habits. But pipes are briar and cob, mostly,

and have a wider tolerance that we usually demand of them. If you feel uncertain, buy a few extra cobs

to fill the gap, but your briars will do just fine too. Boy voyage and safe passage.

Status
Not open for further replies.