PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Does anyone know where I can find the supplies to make a pipe retort? I went to a hobby shop today and all they had were test tubes. I didnt want to buy one one ebay, thought I could make it myself alot cheaper. Any of ya'll ever made one??

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
I bought mine off of fleabay, it is different than the one pictured but it works great!

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
I have seen them on our local trade me site but was but off by the price of postage. But on watching that it looks all good. MIght hunt one down

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Man I just don't think I smoke a pipe often enough or buy gooped up estates enough to warrant such extreme cleaning methods. That being said...that's friggin' cool! Great knowledge to have if I ever run into a stubborn ghost or something.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I certainly like that this is really dangerous.
But how is it better than a scrubby pipecleaner with Everclear?

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
But how is it better than a scrubby pipecleaner with Everclear?

Well, boiling alcohol forced at pressure through your pipe stem and chamber is like using a power washer. Breaks down tar and oil instant-like, and gets into the micropore structure of the briar a little better than a pipe cleaner.
IMG_6094.JPG

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
"boiling alcohol forced at pressure through your pipe stem and chamber "
You know, you put it THAT way and i guess i see what you mean.
Romeo, I like that design better than the one in the video. something you made? Couldn't one just use a small erlenmyer flask, rubbstopper, jump tube and surgical tubing? (Which is sort of what that looks like.)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have a couple of very old pipes that are in excellent shape but need the "retort" treatment.

I would like to bring them back to "like new" condition and then I'll try breaking them in again.

Status
Not open for further replies.