PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
A little History first,
Back in the 1940s during and after World War II when briar was in short supply, Kaywoodie and Yello-Bole started making "Hand Made" pipes, actually carved pipes that would enable them to use the briar that had small defects and would otherwise not qualify for their grades of pipes that required unblemished briar.

One variation of these was the "Bamboo" Yello-Bole and "Mandarin" Kaywoodie.
This little Yello-Bole gem came in a good 'barely smoked' condition. The 'Yellow' lining is still rather visible. I was not happy with the almost black stained bowl hiding the briar. I went to work right away with a light sanding and I'm happy with the results. I may decide to lighten the brair up a bit more though as it's still on the darker side. However, the natural brair is a darker wood to begin with.
I suppose these are rather rare. I know I see them (Kaywoodie & Yello-Bole) on eBay but few and far between.
BEFORE:
bam1_1-1.jpg

AFTER
bole2.jpg

BEFORE
bam6.jpg

AFTER
bole8.jpg

BEFORE
bam3_3.jpg

AFTER
bole6.jpg

bole5.jpg

bole3.jpg

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Great pipe restoration! I've been watching them, but haven't pulled the trigger yet - I believe you may have inspired me!

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
That's a keeper, I really like the Bamboo. It makes it stand out in a crowd. Good job on the restoration.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a find, both the pipe and the grain under all that black stain. It's a thing of beauty now. Yello-Bole still

makes some briar pipes, if you can wade past all the Brylon at online retailers. Their Checker series actually

has some attractive pipes (for those of us who may not be as good at hunting down the oldies). The standard

billiards are only so-so in this format, but I think the panel pot (if you can find those rare cats) and the apple

shapes do well with the Checker geometric carving. They seem to be pretty good pipes, despite their drugstore

reputation.

moonman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2014
Good looking pipe, great restoration job....I have never seen one like that

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I really like what you've done with that pipe ... you've seriously transformed it from an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan ...

Status
Not open for further replies.