PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
My latest resto projects are two Stanwell sub brands. I have a question. Any tips on how to clean up the stem without removing the stamping? The stamp on the stem is very shallow and faint. I normally wet sand and it's works well, but I'm afraid this method will remove the shallow stamping very quick. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Go to the grocery store in the cleaning isle buy bar keepers friend. It is a dry powder. Dump some in a bowl. Get a wet rag and dab it in the powder then scrub. It will take the oxidation off, no sanding needed. Just elbow grease.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
If your really worried about the stamp I would sand around it like samcoffeeman suggested. I know few that have down it this way to preserve the stamp with a little bit of oxidation left around it. For white stamps that have lost color I add white out and lightly polish off the excess.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
I have a similar problem with a Savinelli Extra and have just got a BBB with what looks almost like a branding stamp slightly raised and I dont want to loose that, having rubbed the letter B from my bewlay Bulldog stem. Hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.