Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pipe Resting?

(39 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by mcluvinmypipe
  • Latest reply from txbeerboy
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mcluvinmypipe

Login to Send PM

I am still a newbie and I have 2 pipes I like to use.I smoke quite a few bowls a day 5-6.I read and hear pipe smokers talk about letting the pipe rest for a considerable amount of time before lighting it up again.I always clean my bowl when I am done or let my pipe cool off for a later smoke if there is half a bowl left.I do not have enough pipes to let them rest.I like to smoke them.I variate according to what I like to smoke.One of my pipes is for English blends and the other for Virginias and aromatics.I do not have enough pipes to avoid ghosting and not enough pipes to let them rest through a rotation.Am I missing out on something good?Am I shortenig the life of my pipes by not letting them rest long enough?I am trying to get a few more pipes together but I do not think I am organized enough and I smoke to often to let them rest.Could someone maybe share their experiences with not letting their pipes rest or maybe help explain why pipe resting is important thank you for your input.

--------------------------
    Thanks for being a member and participating.

Thread title fixed.

Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules

- Kevin
    --------------------------

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have one pipe that I wasn't resting enough. It definitely reached a point where it smoked poorly. I don't know for sure, but even after resting it for a week, it still performs poorly compared to it's well rested days.

It's always best to rest - but as always, your mileage may vary. I've heard of old timers who would smoke the heck out of one pipe and never worry about it. you may want to consider adding some cobs to the rotation.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mcluvinmypipe

Login to Send PM

Thank You,So I guess it does have something to do with the perfomance of the pipe.My next pipe is going to have a very large bowl and a session will last at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours,maybe I will not smoke so many bowls if I have longer lasting sessions.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A pipe is like a baseball pitcher. 4 days of rest between use is best. You won't ruin the pipe by oversmoking it, but you will ruin the smokes.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So I guess it does have something to do with the perfomance of the pipe

The main reason is to allow the briar to dry properly. There's been some argument on this point, but briar being a natural wood product will absorb moisture. It eventually gives a sour rather than sweet taste.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As numbersiz said... just get yourself a few MM cobs.

~I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.~
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

wilson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some rest is good. Get a few cobs to expand your rotation. Your pipes need to dry out.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on the cobs. I only have 22 briar pipes but have 2 cobs that I use for short smokes, new tobacco that I have never tried, or when I get lazy and don't feel like cleaning a pipe. At under $10 per you can pick up 5 and that will give you the ability to smoke your briars when you want a good, long smoke and allow them a proper 4-5 days rest but still have pipes to enjoy your daily smokes.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

+2 on cobs. My pipes perform better when they get a chance to dry out.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My pipes like to have a nap in the afternoon.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

mcluvinmypipe

Login to Send PM

I like your picture,it gives me a new perspective.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My pipes like to have a nap in the afternoon.

I did that once with two of my pipes and I ended up with three little ones the following day!
    I suppose that was my fault as I forgot to place a rubber pipe bit protector on one of them.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL, hilarious!!

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Thanks for being a member and participating.

Thread title fixed.

Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules

@Philip - that's funny!

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Resting pipes is good. Also it is a comforting excuse to have way too many pipes. All mine are rested and
    then re-rested. Usually, I can't remember the last time I smoked the one I'm packing.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. apatim

apatim

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Phil, sounds like you've come up with the perfect solution for PAD!

Enjoying my days on earth.

Tim
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. kanaka95

kanaka95

Login to Send PM

(LOL)

The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-less it come to dominate our likes and interest.God bless america.(patrick henry)
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not an old timer, but I do follow their way of thinking in the sense that I don't believe in resting your pipes. If you have a good quality pipe, (good briar, well constructed etc.) the pipe should perform well no matter if you smoke it everyday or once a week. When I was starting out I only had two pipes as well and I smoked them back to back to back days and some times several times a day. I've still got them and I've never noticed any issues with the pipes. Of course now I have well over 20 pipes so I have plenty of pipes to choose from but if I want to smoke the same pipe multiple times in a day I will, or will smoke it on back to back days if I choose to.

If the pipe is a good quality pipe; you would need to smoke it multiple times a day everyday for an extended period of time (for example 1 year) and eventually you would see some signs of wear and tear. Yes, eventually you could damage the pipe, but it would take a lot of smokes for that extended period of time. I'm sure you'll pick up a few pipes down the road if you remain in the hobby. Like a few others mentioned... get a few cobs they're great and they're perfect for letting your other pipes rest if you choose to do that.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. natibo

natibo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It eventually gives a sour rather than sweet taste.

Letting your woman rest between sessions is also good. You can get the same effect.

Bo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Phil you made me laugh, loved it. The pipe thing is depending on the briar, good briar that smokes dry you can smoke the fire out of it, use pipe cleaners they are cheap, keep it dry. Some pipes not so much, I have one pipe I look at it and moisture pours out of it, got rid of that Boger, wish I would have kept it as we are in a dry spell here, crops need it. Buy a Meer, also, it can do yomen duty as briar rests.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  21. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have one pipe I look at it and moisture pours out of it, got rid of that Boger, wish I would have kept it as we are in a dry spell here, crops need it.

lol!

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

hippiebrian

Login to Send PM

I was always told (again back in the day) that a pipe was good for multiple smokes in a day, so long as it was cleaned a bit between smokes. The reason to own 7 was that you had one for each day of the week and that was the rest period. Between days, not between smokes. This has been my plan this time (I currently sit at 6 plus several cobs). Is my thinking that far off?

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No your thinking is not off. I've seen many old pipe racks that hold seven pipes and are even marked with each day of the week. The thought is to smoke Monday's pipe all day Monday and then let it rest until next Monday. The thought isn't to let it rest between smokes but between days. That's if you believe in resting pipes though.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just signed on to the pipe smokers club about a month ago. I'd been rolling my own cigs for years and had discovered that certain papers caused me to hack. One day, a light came on and I decided to pick up a pipe to smoke the cheap bulk "pipe" tobacco I had on hand. Got me a KY Legend @ the corner drug store and found the tobacco I had was not really good for a pipe. So..I got some other backys and smoked the crap outta that cobb. It developed some exterior cracks...but still draws nicely. I'm learning. I started looking around sites on the webb and found some pipes to bid on on Ebay. Now I've got three nice cobbs and I'm rotating them. I find that each bowl will get to a point where I feel I need to let it go out and come back to it later. So, I start another one...and so on...finding one's pace, and rhythm seems integral to enjoyment. I've stopped clenching already. I found that the bit in my first cobb had become pinched due to my continued clamping. It restricted draw and inhibited cleaning. I put the stem in a pan of hot water for a few minutes and with small flat blade screwdriver, I was able to open the bit nicely and it's almost better than new.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. thesmokingtexan

thesmokingtexan

Login to Send PM

I have been smoking the same pipe for about two weeks now daily. Each time I am done I run a cleaner through it and let it sit outside and it dry by the time I come back. If it is not then I smoke a 1/8 size bowl amount just to run a hot cherry without the excess moisture and that dried it out so I can pack a full bowl and smoke a dry pipe. I have only been pipe smoking for two weeks so don’t take this as gospel I could be doing horrible long lasting damage to my pipe but it is only a Dr Grabow so I can always run up to CVS and get another.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. carcosa

carcosa

Login to Send PM

I haven't been smoking as long as many of these guys and don't smoke as often. I have about 6 pipes in my rotation, some I like better than others. I just cleaned my pipes with whiskey last week and here is how I've been smoking my most recent pipe:

Wed. I had two bowls of Irish Flake in a row, Friday I had a bowl of Dunhill Navy Rolls, and today I had a bowl of Navy rolls followed right now as I write, of Irish Flake, and every smoke has ben great (all with the same pipe). I wkill probably rest this pipe for a few weeks now.

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. settersbrace

settersbrace

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I rarely smoke a briar more than once a day (but I have on occasion) and usually end the days smoking with one of my cobs. Over the past weekend I smoked 6 bowls from the same cob with no issues. I can detect a difference in the smoke if I re-use a briar even with judicious use of pipe cleaners. With a cob, not so much. They just keep puffing, and I like that about them. This is just my experience, ymmv.

De gustibus et cloribus non disputandum.
    'There is no arguing about tastes and colours.'
    Posted 5 years ago #
  28. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I believe that for a pipe to perform at it's optimum level it needs rest. Sure you can smoke the hell out of it, but if you want to get the most flavor from your tobacco, I recommend resting your pipes. Another important thing to consider is that the Pipe Gods also want you to rest your pipe so if you don't want to piss them off, let em rest.

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  29. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You need to mellow out bro.

Jerod
    Posted 5 years ago #
  30. neverbend

neverbend

Login to Send PM

Mcluvinmypipe,

Do what you need to do to smoke when you want and within your budget. If you're using a pipe heavily, make sure that you clean it well and thoroughly.

If you notice that it's not smoking well then give the pipe a rest. It's just common sense and there are no rules.

Would it taste better with regular rest, probably. Pipe smokers add, upgrade and change pipes all the time. Do so when you can and when you know what you like.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. neverbend

neverbend

Login to Send PM

Mcluvinmypipe,

Do what you need to do to smoke when you want and within your budget. If you're using a pipe heavily, make sure that you clean it well and thoroughly.

If you notice that it's not smoking well then give the pipe a rest. It's just common sense and there are no rules.

Would it taste better with regular rest, probably. Pipe smokers add, upgrade and change pipes all the time. Do so when you can and when you know what you like.

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. ruscho

ruscho

Login to Send PM

You don't "need" more than one pipe.

A pipe that sees 4-5 bowls per day will sour much quicker than a pipe that is smoked once a week, simply because chemical deposits will build up much faster, not because the pipe is not resting.

Just clean and sweeten your pipe properly and there is nothing to worry about. And if you want to get the purest tobacco experience - smoke from a meerschaum.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know about that pipe sweetener stuff... Seems counter intuitive to me.

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

All oils go bad (or rancid) so it seems very logical to me. Peanuts, almonds, even the oil that is in many colognes does eventually go rancid so the process of sweetening does have merit.

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are no rules for resting a pipe except this one: a pipe needs to rest. It isn't a question of what one believes or doesn't believe about briar needing to rest – this isn't a religious disputation on matters of faith and belief. Briar, being wood, will absorb, and the more you tax it's ability to do that the sooner the taste will be compromised. I went through that stage long years ago when I was an undergraduate, and I enjoyed my one good pipe so much that it eventually soured on me. Because it's a slow process, it's rather insidious, but it happens nonetheless. I was able to bring it back, but I learned a valuable lesson from a master Pipe maker about allowing my pipes to relax between smokes.

These days with over 100 briars in my collection, I try and allow at least a week's rest after I've smoked a pipe – even if the smoke was so spectacular that I want to repeat the experience. I also have about 20 corncob pipes and eight mirror's arms to allow my briars to get all the rest they need. And here's the point, if cost is an issue, and you can't afford a full stable of briars, buy a corncob pipe. They give a first-rate smoke, and are not in the least bit déclassé. Before my retirement when a suit and tie were normal working attire, I had no qualms whatsoever about smoking a cob. I've been a fan of Missouri Meerschaum for over 50 years, I now have fallen in love with the new entry in the market: the Old Dominion Cobs, a truly superlative smoke that will give a briar a run for it's money any day of the week.

As time passes, you will increase the number of pipes you have, but at the very beginning, the best advice I can offer is let your pipes rest, and invest in a couple of corncob pipes, they can take the abuse, and if they should wear out, burnout, break, gets lost or anything like that, you're not out big bucks.

Eric
    Posted 5 years ago #
  36. bwithers55

bwithers55

Login to Send PM

Pipe resting is good advice. Of course, it can be used as a rational for "building a rotation." One's rotation may be the seven, for the days of the week or it may be twelve, or even more- say, thirty. There are no fixed rules. And, as you have seen, nearly everyone has an opinion about it. -bw

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been a fan of Missouri Meerschaum for over 50 years, I now have fallen in love with the new entry in the market: the Old Dominion Cobs, a truly superlative smoke that will give a briar a run for it's money any day of the week
    +1 on Both...

"the weez"...
    Posted 5 years ago #
  38. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I swear, I meant to only buy enough pipes to have one for each day of the week. I wanted rested pipes, so that I could keep getting the most flavor "wows" each time I smoked. Then a few more to dedicate to blends types, like aromatics or latakias. That is what I told myself, over and over. Just one more will do the trick, one more... And, now I have two racks with 36 pipes on my wall, with drawers and a few boxes full of the first beaters that I bought. I have some that rest between puffs, some rest days, some will just rest in peace in the drawer, ha ha.

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. txbeerboy

txbeerboy

Login to Send PM

+1 cosmicfolklore that is to funny! I bet that hits close to home every where across the country. I remember my first pipe I rotated it amongst itself. It stuffed it hot or cold it did not mater I couldn't leave it alone. It's first rest came when I got a dose of tongue bite.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   willyspiper, mawp, tobefrank, ben88, cossackjack, pappymac, pipestud