PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Gentlemen, where do you "rest" your pipes?

Do you lock them up or keep it in the open space

How do you make sure they do not "smell up" the house?

Thank you

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I keep mine on a shelf in the living room. Have for over two decades, and has never been a smell issue.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I don't smoke in the house, but I'm lucky enough to have a room dedicated to "hobbies," where I store my pipes, in addition to computers I'm building and crap like that.
There's definitely an aroma present, but it's mild and I can't imagine anyone but the most determined tobacco-hater objecting to the smell.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Because of the vulcanite stems I keep mine out of natural light, so I store them in pipe socks inside the drawers of an antique dental cabinet I have refinished. I also keep jarred tobacco & a couple of rolled tobacco pouches in there. When you open any of the drawers or doors to the cabinet the aroma of the tobacco is nice & very pleasant. It no longer smells like a dental cabinet!

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I keep mine on one of the upper shelves of a small hutch/cabinet in my dining room. I find the mild aroma they put off to be pleasant and my wife hasn't complained.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I keep a lot of mine on the coffee table in my living room. I have a large round dish which has a large round candle in the middle. The candle serves as a pillar to lean my pipes against. It works very well and looks rather nice.
I really don't notice any smell from them and neither does anyone who comes here. One of the first things people say when they pick them up is often "Ooooh, I thought they would smell"

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
Pipe rest:
DSC_6100_s.JPG

Just a random piece of walnut with a convenient indentation.
Storage:
DSC_6124s.JPG

I have two more of these in mahogany and one in walnut. This one is splatted birch.
I would like to get them out of the sunlight, so my next project (when I finish the three piled up in the workshop now) is to build a pipe cabinet.
I like the smell of my pipes, so I don't ". . . make sure they do not 'smell up' the house?"

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
I keep mine on an open rack in the house. I don't smoke in the house and no one ever mentions any smell emanating from the pipes. Then again, I have two dogs and almost every meal begins with garlic and onion in the saute pan, so I'm sure the house smells. But not of pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I keep most of mine in my pipe cabinet that holds 36 pipes. It is a Savinelli rack made of burl wood and it has tinted glass and holes in the sides to let the pipes air out and the smells to be released. I keep it in my living room and don't care if it smells.
Here is a stock picture of my rack, mine looks the same.

Here is a rack that I use for pipes that are too big to fit in my 36 count rack, I only have 2 pipes in this.

Finally here is a cabinet that I store my 7 day set of Rad Davis pipes in.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Dam Harris, I am pretty jealous of your 7 day set of Rad Davis pipes! I keep mine in the two racks that I built and a antique swivel rack in my spare bedroom/den. I also keep and store all of my tobacco in a cabinet in same room, every time I walk by I get a whiff of tobacco goodness!

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Once they have aired out a while and cleaned, they go into pipesocks and sit on a shelf in the living room.

No smells once they have been cleaned.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I keep mine in racks inside a lovely antique cabinet that is just for my pipe and baccy. The only smell coming from the cabinet is the wonderful scent of tobacco. :puffy:

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I keep mine on on the top shelf in my gun rack.
Nothing beats the smell of some fine tobacco and good American gun powder!

toadshade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 9, 2014
I keep mine in a large kitchen drawer with all my other pipe stuff - Tobacco, tools, cleaners, etc. Has never been a smell problem.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Egg box on the work bench. Nothing says class like $2000 worth of high grades resting in a repurposed cardboard egg box. :)

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Egg box on a bookshelf in a room that's normally closed off - we've got a somewhat neurotic foster cat that's become permanent, and she's not fond of the rest of the household. Heck, she barely tolerates me...
There's some residual aroma, but it's not unpleasant and I give my pipes a monthly scrubbing to keep it that way. I'll be investing in a dedicated closed cabinet in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.