PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Greetings,
Yesterday while mowing grass, I decided to take a break and placed my pipe on the lawmower :cry: Of course, I forgot it there and resumed mowing the lawn (go figure!) Later I discovered that I must have either stepped on it or ran over it with the lawnmower because the stem was cut from the bowl. :oops:
Now I need to find a replacement stem. It's a cheap briar, but I liked the stem. It had a curve to it, which as nice. Here are two photos taken yesterday.
In the morning before I ran over it:
e20a9a38-90ba-4f89-a212-e6e08b4b2029-600x450.jpg

Later that afternoon:
302087c4-5341-4b2a-8812-ee1f72271e52-450x600.jpg

I checked P&C, but could not find a stem for it. Any other online vendors that may sell them?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The brand of the pipe might help, and the size of the mortise and tenon. Likely there are inexpensive replacements that fit directly or could be fudged in there with a little sanding or drilling. On the replacement side, the Dr. Grabow Royalton line with acrylic stems are moderately priced durable pipes, for one example.

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Thanks for the responses!
MSO, I dont know what the brand is because there is no name on the pipe. I bought it in a bundle for $40 from a forum member. I think they were “freebies” from P&C, so I know that they are cheap. I use them to smoke in the yard (hence running over it with the lawnmower!)

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Thomas,
Thank you for the link. I will bookmark it for future reference. This pipe is very cheap, but I have my great grandfathers pipe collection that needs to be refinished. Have you used this guy before? I hate to send such a sentimental piece through mail and it gets lost :(

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
If you go to Vermont Freehand they have stems and a tool that you can use to resize it to the tenon.

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
So.....
I still havent had any luck finding a replacement stem. I tried to use the stems from my cob pipes but they were too small. Maybe I need a rubber gasket? LOL
I found an adapter on SP
001-545-0350.jpg

Does anyone know if this would work? I was thinking about buying this:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=110371
Any help would be greatly appreciated

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Great shame, but I think most of us have had some tragic episode with one of our pipes. Hope you get a replacement stem. Sure you will. Best of luck.

George

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Skaukatt and Chuckk,
Thanks for the suggestion and website. I will send him an email tomorrow to see if he is able to help me out! It’s nice to know that there are brothers of the leaf that have used his services and been satisfied

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lawnmowers and pipes. If you don't like a particular pipe, smoke it to mow the lawn.

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
MSO,
Yes, I learned the hard way. I actually wasn’t smoking and mowing. When I took my break to weed eat, I didnt have a spot to place my pipe so I laid it down on the lawnmower :roll: Then when I returned, I forgot about it and started the lawnmower up!

Status
Not open for further replies.