PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
So I have this Longchamp pipe and it has what I assume is the start of a hole from too much flame in one spot. It is hard to see in this picture(circled in blue), but it is very visible in person. Can I fix this or should I just ignore it? If it can be fixed or helped, how would I go about doing it? The bowl is about 10-12mm thick and the charred spot seems about 2mm or so deep.
Thanks

Wes

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
Blah second time today I forgot to put the picture in.
LongchampBulldog02-Edit.jpg

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Scrape out all the charred wood with a bounded blade and fill the defect with pipe mud. Cigar ash miked to a stiff paste with a drop or two of water. Let dry for a day or two and smoke gently while rebuilding the cake. I tend to remove all the cake when I do this to check for any other surprises.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
I have studied this pic, for about an hour last night and an hour this morning, it looks to me like there is A large cake build up on one side of the boul, and very little on the other side.imho that cake should be reamed out by A single blade just to see whar is under there,

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I use honey to fill the crack and fill with tobacco to just above that level and smoke. Then I do the same for 2-3 more smokes.

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
@dd951 I reamed it out late last night and you are right, the holes in the front and back where in the cake only. I took it almost down to the wood and they are all gone now. Good call!

Status
Not open for further replies.