PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
First, I've enticed my woodworking kid brother into beginning to make some pipes.

He was coming along very nicely with his first effort. Was. He emailed me this a.m. and said that he'd drilled right through his bowl trying to put some touches on it.
I told him about the possibility of salvage with a plug and he asked if there was a specific adhesive.
Hence...this starter thread. (I told him Elmer's is usually mentioned)

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I use a good two part epoxy when doing plugs. JB Weld works best as long as you don't have a large glue line showing. And it won't kill ya.

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
I've seen Gorilla Glue recommended. I tried it on a pipe about two weeks ago. It seems to be holding fine and it hasn't killed me yet, but I'll let you know if that changes.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
The most common I hear of using is JB weld as ejames mentioned. Heat resistant of 500 degrees of constant temperature and 600 maximum threshold for 10 minutes according to their website.
I can attest that it works well inside and outside the bowl. If you have to use it inside the bowl, cover it with pipe mud. For outside the stummel you can rusticate the area or the whole pipe. If you choose to keep it smooth and unnoticeable, it will take some finesse but it's possible.
Superglue is another alternative, but I would only use that outside the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.