PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
They've done the same thing in France, there was an exhibition on Jean-Paul Sartre and they removed his cigarette from ad posters.
Another example a couple of years ago.

Mr Hulot's pipe removed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-pipe/mr-hulots-pipe-censored-by-paris-metro-idUSTRE53G5CA20090417
This isn't just about a pipe being removed.

In a wider perspecitve they are erasing uncomfortable phenomena from history which is endlessly stupid.

We can't adjust history to better suit the political correctness of our times.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
“Concerns over these objects show the power they still have and help convey the reality of the suffering that Van Gogh endured”

Ohhhhh brother :roll:
Exactly! Hence the reason that we marvel at his work. Do you think he would be the same man if it were not for his demons? He created art that is what it is because he was who he was. Those items were not just random objects that condone violence, but pieces of his past that were a part of what made him. I don't know much about the man, but I'm pretty sure the issues he had led to the creation of the works he did as a sort of therapy to get his mind off the issues that drove him to eventually shoot himself. Only after his death was he realized as the artist "where discourses on madness and creativity converge".
Why don't we teach things anymore instead of automatically determining something is bad and just trying to scrub it from history? It's happening to all sorts of other things and I have to turn a blind eye because I'll get, what's the term they use these days....."triggered"....but my idea of triggered is way different than theirs.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The artist chose to self-censor and it's unclear who brought up the association with drugs, etc. The council did not demand the changes, but certainly encouraged it.
Personally, I like the result better without the clutter.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Going to do a drug deal, let's see, drugs, check, gun, check, pipe and lighter, check.

I think it fits.
Sounds legit.
And Hap, BTW, I'm with you. Anybody who'd even THINK about comparing the two things is even sicker in the head than the artist was....

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
You could give them one, but not two. Lol
This is a case of a vocal group petitioning until the politician has decided this is low hanging fruit. It does fall to the politician to decide whether this vocal group represented a majority of constituents and whether it is then action worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.